Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM
  #3361  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,727
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TA05 Body

The TA05 comes in two different front suspension configurations. The standard, original is also typical of other touring cars. The front shocks are upright, connecting to the lower suspension arm and a shock tower. The IFS suspension is an inboard, laydown configuration where the dampers connect to a cantilever arm and are laid down more or less parallel with the chassis. It's distinctive. You would know the difference.

There are Tamiya bodies that are low across the hood that will only work with the IFS front suspension. Just about every HPI body works with either setup, except for the Zonda maybe. That one is really low, too. Your M3 body will be fine with either. It's a good lid.
PutAwayWet is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM
  #3362  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (26)
 
encore75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SnoHoCo, WA
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sneako
...is there more than one front suspension system? If so, how do I know what I have?

I am thinking about the HPI BMW M3 GT body (#7352). Does anyone run this body on a TA05?
Here you go... regular vs. IFS (and how to convert from regular to IFS, if you wanted to)

The M3 body will be fine with the TA05 (both regular and IFS suspensions).
encore75 is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM
  #3363  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (7)
 
sneako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SEA
Posts: 510
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Google to the rescue

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
The TA05 comes in two different front suspension configurations. The standard, original is also typical of other touring cars. The front shocks are upright, connecting to the lower suspension arm and a shock tower. The IFS suspension is an inboard, laydown configuration where the dampers connect to a cantilever arm and are laid down more or less parallel with the chassis. It's distinctive. You would know the difference.

There are Tamiya bodies that are low across the hood that will only work with the IFS front suspension. Just about every HPI body works with either setup, except for the Zonda maybe. That one is really low, too. Your M3 body will be fine with either. It's a good lid.
Originally Posted by encore75
Here you go... regular vs. IFS (and how to convert from regular to IFS, if you wanted to)

The M3 body will be fine with the TA05 (both regular and IFS suspensions).
After my last post I hit up Google and saw the difference. Maybe I should have done that before my initial post! My TA05 is not an IFS version.

Thanks guys for the clarification and answering my question regarding the M3 body.
sneako is offline  
Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
  #3364  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PacNW
Posts: 3,010
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Dear SRCR Hangar 30 Race Program,

I miss you.

Love,
Team Tekin Shmekin
jubilee is offline  
Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
  #3365  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,634
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jubilee
Dear SRCR Hangar 30 Race Program,

I miss you.

Love,
Team Tekin Shmekin
Get a room you two!
Kody is offline  
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
  #3366  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
Slapmaster6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonds, Wash.
Posts: 3,188
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Sitting at Bill's table always did make me slightly uncomfortable.
Slapmaster6000 is offline  
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
  #3367  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PacNW
Posts: 3,010
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Don't make me bust out the Journey lyrics.

jubilee is offline  
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 AM
  #3368  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
gwhiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 943
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Free Bird!!!
gwhiz is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 02:51 AM
  #3369  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
mdowney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,562
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default What pinion should I run with a 21.5T BL and 84T spur on my T3?

I just picked up an Xray T3, which I plan to run at Hangar 30 this season, and I want to start getting comfortable with it out at the abandoned playground by my house.

It came with an 84T spur and I picked up a Tekin RSPro/21.5 combo for it. I need to pick up a pinion for playing around until I get out to the track and start learning all of the optimal combos. What should I use while I practice (I picked up a bunch of little orange cones used for soccer practice so I can make a practice course).

Also - should I get 64P or 48P pinions? Sounds like the 48's are more durable but the 64's are more flexible for fine tuning.

Thanks,
Mike
mdowney is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
  #3370  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
Skruger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: AT YOUR TRACK
Posts: 1,535
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mdowney
I just picked up an Xray T3, which I plan to run at Hangar 30 this season, and I want to start getting comfortable with it out at the abandoned playground by my house.

It came with an 84T spur and I picked up a Tekin RSPro/21.5 combo for it. I need to pick up a pinion for playing around until I get out to the track and start learning all of the optimal combos. What should I use while I practice (I picked up a bunch of little orange cones used for soccer practice so I can make a practice course).

Also - should I get 64P or 48P pinions? Sounds like the 48's are more durable but the 64's are more flexible for fine tuning.

Thanks,
Mike
Start with a 38 tooth pinion for a final drive ratio of 4.2:1
Dont use any timing boost ot Turbo
I would use pinions from 38 to 42 tooth, for that Motor.

48 pitch is easy'r to adjust and is less prone to stripping.
64 pitch is better for indoors where fine tuning is needed.
Patrick
Skruger is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 AM
  #3371  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Renton, Wa
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mdowney
I just picked up an Xray T3, which I plan to run at Hangar 30 this season, and I want to start getting comfortable with it out at the abandoned playground by my house.

It came with an 84T spur and I picked up a Tekin RSPro/21.5 combo for it. I need to pick up a pinion for playing around until I get out to the track and start learning all of the optimal combos. What should I use while I practice (I picked up a bunch of little orange cones used for soccer practice so I can make a practice course).

Also - should I get 64P or 48P pinions? Sounds like the 48's are more durable but the 64's are more flexible for fine tuning.

Thanks,
Mike
I was considering picking up a 21.5 as well for Scale Spec, but was waiting for word from the competition committee. Was concerned 21.5 my be dropped in favor of 25.5. Another option for us intermediate guys might be a 'sportsman' class in which case you would need a 17.5.

As for the 64 or 48 I can't really help you out much. I went with 64 from the beginning and never looked back. I haven't had major problems picking up little rocks in street in front of my house with my 64p pinions, and have since graduated from that anyway. Have never tried 48.
rknott is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 PM
  #3372  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
mdowney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,562
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skruger
Start with a 38 tooth pinion for a final drive ratio of 4.2:1
Dont use any timing boost ot Turbo
I would use pinions from 38 to 42 tooth, for that Motor.

48 pitch is easy'r to adjust and is less prone to stripping.
64 pitch is better for indoors where fine tuning is needed.
Patrick
Thanks! I picked up a 40T/64P pinion at RC Hobbies today (they didn't have 35-39 in stock) and it doesn't fit with the stock 84T/48P spur that came with the T3. The teeth on the pinion appear to be too small. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try using my 16T pinion with an 8.5 BL motor that I have. I'm just so eager to try this car out.

Any suggestions?
mdowney is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 08:06 PM
  #3373  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (56)
 
Logi Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,070
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mdowney
Thanks! I picked up a 40T/64P pinion at RC Hobbies today (they didn't have 35-39 in stock) and it doesn't fit with the stock 84T/48P spur that came with the T3. The teeth on the pinion appear to be too small. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try using my 16T pinion with an 8.5 BL motor that I have. I'm just so eager to try this car out.

Any suggestions?
Don't drive it in the playgound.
Logi Maker is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 PM
  #3374  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (46)
 
oldrcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 818
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default can't wait for summer to be over?

was talking to Bill today when I ran into him at FW, and we both were really looking forward to when racing will be starting up again back at the hanger.

I guess the lack of sun this summer will do that to whats left of a car racers brain cells.

-Alex

Last edited by oldrcr; 06-27-2010 at 10:20 PM.
oldrcr is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
  #3375  
Suspended
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Everett
Posts: 1,428
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mdowney
Thanks! I picked up a 40T/64P pinion at RC Hobbies today (they didn't have 35-39 in stock) and it doesn't fit with the stock 84T/48P spur that came with the T3. The teeth on the pinion appear to be too small. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try using my 16T pinion with an 8.5 BL motor that I have. I'm just so eager to try this car out.

Any suggestions?
You need to use the same pitch pinion with spur, so if you bought a 64 pitch pinion the car must have a 64 tooth spur.

The gear "pitch" is the count of teeth per inch, so a 64 cannot mesh with a 48 pitch. Must be te same pitch to mesh together.
Wes Briscoe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.