Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree367Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
Sorry for all the posts, but the H30 thread activity has me giddy.

A couple questions:

1) Can we have a test/tune day prior to race season...maybe a Sat or Sun?

2) Has there been any talk of tuning/driving 'clinics' like we've talked about in the past?
Bill we are looking into a date to get in and test out the new traction technique and get some testing in before IIC. But maybe we can do one later as well, closer to the season.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Dynamic Ostracism

Plenty of otherwise great racers have successfully tuned dynamic timing in "open" stock with great results. Plenty of those great racers are now offering comments that suggest abandoning dynamic timing, or they are indifferent, or somewhere in between.

Its being discussed on the NWIC thread, here, and for all I know at clubs around the country that dynamic timing is something of a bother, and it is starting to take on the properties of a scourge.

I do not find it a bother at all. I dont even bring a laptop. There is almost always some kind fellow racer willing to help out if I need an adjustment on race day. But I am not the maestro either. I sort of guess whats about right, and if I get "the effect" and I am not overheating then I figure thats good enough and start toothing up or down to change it. No bother at all.

It was cool and mellow when it hit the scene. It is still cool but not so mellow now. But it is getting smoother and faster and more usable all the time. My input would be to please leave it in the race program and wait a little longer to see what kind of refinements in usability develop as speedo designs evolve.

Thats how much I like it, personally. Please dont knock it down as a sapling. If it gets "too fast" you could always spec a higher turn motor and still allow dynamic timing for people to monkey around with.

My $0.02
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
There really is nothing more enjoyable in racing than a good figure 8. Its an amazing amount of fun. Buy up a bunch of TT01 RTR's and let the carnage begin.

Hmm... Fat Tom Figure 8, 2011 ?

Who's in?
I'm in .... finally a use for my puffed lipos as front and rear bumpers ! Hopefully nobody suggests a maximum weight.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Bill we are looking into a date to get in and test out the new traction technique and get some testing in before IIC. But maybe we can do one later as well, closer to the season.
Kody,

What's this new traction technique you speak of, we are not giving up our "Heavenly smell of wintergreen" are we?

Steve

Is it just a Jack test day for the IIC? (I hope) Me love my Paragon
Old 06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Paragon is here to stay

I do not find it a bother at all. I dont even bring a laptop. There is almost always some kind fellow racer willing to help out if I need an adjustment on race day. But I am not the maestro either. I sort of guess whats about right, and if I get "the effect" and I am not overheating then I figure thats good enough and start toothing up or down to change it. No bother at all.
I have never had an issue with the tuning side either. I just added the setup suggested by a Tekin team driver and away I went. Car has been easy to deal with all year.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Thanks K-Knudizzle.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Traction Update

An ad hoc committee was formed this past two weeks to discuss our current traction compound at H30. Participating were all members of the Comp Committee, myself, Brian Bodine, Wes Briscoe, and Sean Maybell. Partly, it was an end of season review, and partly it was in response to the opinion of some that we can take steps to improve the traction on the new rug.

In addition to the input of the committee members, I personally talked to CRC (we run CRC Fasttrack carpet) and the owner of Paragon. Discussions were in depth, and many options were considered. The conclusions we reached have the support of all committee members.

In general, it is agreed that there is no panacea for turning our temporary track on which we run three times a month into a permanent track that sees daily traffic. That said, there are steps to take, for both rubber and foam tire racers, to speed up the groove.

Specifically, then:

1. We will stick with Paragon Ground Effects.
2. WD-40 is fine for cleaning rubber tires.
3. We will spray the track with Paragon Traction Action each night that we build the track. (This is done at the CRC permanent track to great effect. Apparently, their groove evaporates, too, despite it being a permanent track. And, it takes about five minutes, so the net effect on our setup time is negligible.)
4. We will convene again after ten race nights to review the outcome.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
There really is nothing more enjoyable in racing than a good figure 8. Its an amazing amount of fun. Buy up a bunch of TT01 RTR's and let the carnage begin.

Hmm... Fat Tom Figure 8, 2011 ?

Who's in?
Even better if you can figure out a way to attach trailers to said TT01s.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Traction Action.

That sounds sexy!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I'm not sure how I feel about switching to 25.5 for Scale Spec. I'd probably have to drive one to see. But I felt like the 21.5 was fast enough to be challenging once I got over the initial learning curve, while still slow enough to make it through races without breaking the car, and spend more time driving than crashing.

This year, I got beaten, badly, by Alex Danilchek even on my better nights. The reasons being:
1) Driving skill. I was probably leaving at least .5 sec on the table in best lap, and more like 1.5 in average, relative to the potential of my car.
2) Setup skill. I've gained almost no setup knowledge yet. It's hard to know what changes to make when you can't drive consistently.
3) Chassis. I'm pretty sure an XRay FK'05 is a much better chassis than the Pro3.
ESC / Motor package really doesn't factor into it. He was running a Novak Havoc setup. No fancy timing or anything. If anything, it was slower than my Tekin setup with the timing set to 0.

Another thing I really hope doesn't change is the combination of Trans-Am and RCGT. I just prefer the aesthetics of RCGT. I think Scale Spec last year was just right.

I'm a relatively competetive person, and it can be a little demotivating coming in DFL or close to it race after race. But I'm still at the stage where it's even more de-motivating when I just drive like crap. My goal in qualifying is to be consistent, and my goal in the mains is to finish at or ahead of my grid position. I can be pretty satisfied just driving clean, and getting faster and more consistent from one session to the next, and one race to the next. At the end of the day, I know it's not the chassis or the motor or even the setup that's holding me back, when I lose 2 laps every race getting marshalled. If there's someone of a similar speed to that I can race with, that's icing on the cake.

-Mike
Well said. My comment about not caring where I start or finish wasn't meant to be interpreted as "losing all the time is fine by me". I would hate to go out twice a month and see no improvement in my abilities.

Also, I have never run either a 21.5 or 25.5 motor. My recent RC experience is with my SC10 that I run a Havoc 10.5 set up in. Super fast for big slides and bigger jumps. I can't imagine a 25.5 motor being fast at all. Ideally, I would like to run the 21.5...my brain tells me that would be plenty on a more controlled and tighter track like H30.

I'll stayed tuned to see what the plans on for H30 and my first attempt at carpet track racing.

Last edited by sneako; 06-19-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

greg, just to clarify, i wish ramping was never invented, I think it hurts more then it helps, as all the whining should prove, but, now that its here, embrace it, and enjoy it,

Last edited by skypilot; 06-17-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skypilot
...but, now that its here, embrace it, and enjoy it.
--Ben Roethlisberger

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default RCGT body

I was looking over the Race Bible and saw "Beware that the front shock towers on many chassis do not allow mounting low-hooded
sports car bodies. The Tamiya IFS chassis are compatible with more of these bodies."...

I will run the TA05 in Scale Spec; is there a short list of sports car bodies that won't fit my chassis?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sneako
I was looking over the Race Bible and saw "Beware that the front shock towers on many chassis do not allow mounting low-hooded
sports car bodies. The Tamiya IFS chassis are compatible with more of these bodies."...

I will run the TA05 in Scale Spec; is there a short list of sports car bodies that won't fit my chassis?

Thanks.
What does IFS stand for? Is that Inboard Front Suspension?

-Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by grippgoat
What does IFS stand for? Is that Inboard Front Suspension?

-Mike
Are you asking or telling what IFS stands for? I'm not sure.

I have a TA05 that I picked up used...is there more than one front suspension system? If so, how do I know what I have? Just looking for some help so I make the right purchases for my car.

I am thinking about the HPI BMW M3 GT body (#7352). Does anyone run this body on a TA05?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.