Search
Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy

MRT: This is a knock off transponder. It's cheaper at $75 but you run a risk buying this. Although it doesn't happen often, just once, a lap counter software upgrade can render your personal transponder useless.
Let me point out some of the advantages of the MRT, in addition to the lower price. (1) You can get all your transponders with the same ID, for no additional charge (last time I looked AMB was charging extra for this feature). This is super convenient, e.g. if you want to test two cars in different heats of the same class. It also means that when somebody wants your transponder number, you know it. Each transponder has an alternate ID you can select in case you want to loan your second car to a buddy to run against you. (2) The lead wires are user replaceable. AMB seems to have gone out of their way to ensure that if your lead wires get cut too near the case (e.g. from repeated flexing just past the strain relief), it is very difficult to repair them, so you have to buy a new transponder. This was an issue with the AMBrc and what do you know, they carried this "feature" over to the MyLaps transponder. I believe there are guys out there (not AMB) who will fix the wires, for a fee. With MRT you can make your transponder wire any length you like, no worries.

It is not a "lap counter software upgrade" that can create an incompatibility, it is a change to the decoder firmware: not a frequent event. AMB does have an interest in screwing over MRT, however they are constrained by the need to keep their installed base of AMBrc transponders working. They found a way to screw over MRT once. While not impossible to do twice, it will be more difficult the second time. Next time they have to keep both AMBrc and MyLaps working.

MRT offered a generous trade-in program to their customers when AMB screwed them over.

If you look closely at recent photos of Marc Reinhard's cars, they contain MRT transponders. They are good enough for him.

With the drop in the GBP since the BrExit vote, I'm pretty sure that MRT transponders are below $75, but I haven't checked and could be wrong.

Just in case it is not clear from the above: I hate AMB and won't be buying any of their products for as long as there is an alternative.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Totally agree with you. I have no love for Amb or my laps either. They're charging $100+ for $20 worth of hardware.

I use to have two mrt transponders until the firmware change.

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
Let me point out some of the advantages of the aMRT, in addition to the lower price. (1) You can get all your transponders with the same ID, for no additional charge (last time I looked AMB was charging extra for this feature). This is super convenient, e.g. if you want to test two cars in different heats of the same class. It also means that when somebody wants your transponder number, you know it. Each transponder has an alternate ID you can select in case you want to loan your second car to a buddy to run against you. (2) The lead wires are user replaceable. AMB seems to have gone out of their way to ensure that if your lead wires get cut too near the case (e.g. from repeated flexing just past the strain relief), it is very difficult to repair them, so you have to buy a new transponder. This was an issue with the AMBrc and what do you know, they carried this "feature" over to the MyLaps transponder. I believe there are guys out there (not AMB) who will fix the wires, for a fee. With MRT you can make your transponder wire any length you like, no worries.

It is not a "lap counter software upgrade" that can create an incompatibility, it is a change to the decoder firmware: not a frequent event. AMB does have an interest in screwing over MRT, however they are constrained by the need to keep their installed base of AMBrc transponders working. They found a way to screw over MRT once. While not impossible to do twice, it will be more difficult the second time. Next time they have to keep both AMBrc and MyLaps working.

MRT offered a generous trade-in program to their customers when AMB screwed them over.

If you look closely at recent photos of Marc Reinhard's cars, they contain MRT transponders. They are good enough for him.

With the drop in the GBP since the BrExit vote, I'm pretty sure that MRT transponders are below $75, but I haven't checked and could be wrong.

Just in case it is not clear from the above: I hate AMB and won't be buying any of their products for as long as there is an alternative.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

the last time i bought a transponder the amb ones were only $50. $100 for a transponder is a ripoff.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

On a side note...the word of the day on my calendar today is PITCHFORKS.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone heading for IIC Vegas looking to share a room. Already booked from the 2nd to 9th.. [email protected]
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The club schedule is up on our site, last year's results are archived at the bottom of the page, and the front page is up to speed.

It's a month out. Stay tuned for an all-club meeting after Labor Day.

www.seattlercracers.com
Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dear Competition Committee,

As you consider rules for your fine club, I want to bring your attention to the weight loss fad that is sweeping the nation. VTA is now 1450g, USGT is now 1380, and ROAR TC is now 1350. Although I imagine that unfortunately Seattle RC Racers will have to reduce minimum TC weight to a waifish 1350g to align with the rest of the nation, I encourage you to be thoughtful about discussion regarding Scale Spec weight. Although my credit card bill says otherwise sometimes, I am a budget racer at heart and would hate to see Scale Spec racers feel the need to give up their heavier older cars or tub chassis, buy aluminum screw kits, and paint one color translucent lightweight bodies with no stickers to lighten up their rides. I think it is a small price to pay for those with lightweight rides to strap on some lead to make entry into the class easier for those racers with less cash. If the committee does want to reduce the minimum weight a bit, I would encourage you to be conservative. 1425?

Many have found that a heavy car really doesn’t make that much of a difference, and some people even run a heavy car because it can handle better. I campaigned a 17.5 car this summer that tipped the scales at 1410, and it wasn’t slow. However, even if a little extra heft really won’t slow racers down, we are all racers and will usually do whatever we can to gain that extra tenth, including invest money into making our cars as light as possible. I would enjoy seeing Scale Spec continue to be a place where people can run older and/or heavier equipment without facing a weight penalty.

P.S. Thanks for taking on all of the tough rules issues and always coming out with a rules package that serves us well.

- Brian
Old 08-31-2016, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Scale Spec is steady as she goes, Brian. 1450g it is.

We will track ROAR on the standard touring and 1/12th classes as they evolve, but Scale Spec is our special baby.

(Heck, I actually do have a TA05 Scale Spec car at the ready, if only for the moral comfort of it, and it has an honest to goodness 540-J strapped in )
Old 09-01-2016, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

And a new perfect body for that TA05

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30-pffordgt-1.jpg
Old 09-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
And a new perfect body for that TA05

Attachment 1384324
Kyle, if you look closely, I believe that is on a 200 mm WGT car with rubber tires not a TA 05 which I believe is 190 mm, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

190mm will be released shortly... We are both right.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default ARC R11 SPRINGS

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best R11 springs for carpet / asphalt?

For the R10 loved the way the car felt with the Yokomo springs.

So far i have only run the R11 on asphalt, using the kit blue springs. I also tried some xray springs in TC mod, but I am not sure of the rate.

One option is to just stay with the black ARC springs, as the cost is lower, but step down to say pink (0.24) and silver (0.22)

I tend to do better with a softer car.

They also have some sliver colored springs

Short Shock Spring SR C3.2 (2)
Short Shock Spring SY C3.0 (2)
Short Shock Spring SG C2.8 (2)

Does anyone know what the difference is between theses?

Advantages of running Silver vs Black?

Any thoughts on running the ARC short springs vs short yokomo vs short xray vs God's springs?

As always many thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default TC 1350 grams

What is the cheapest way to drop some weight?

Kind of need the motor fan, battery, esc, servo, transponder, radio.

Seems like most builds are at like 1390 to 1400, but 1350 is a bit harder.

Does everyone now start to move to shorty packs, and a one crash body?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lence
What is the cheapest way to drop some weight?

Kind of need the motor fan, battery, esc, servo, transponder, radio.

Seems like most builds are at like 1390 to 1400, but 1350 is a bit harder.

Does everyone now start to move to shorty packs, and a one crash body?
You'll drop a lot of weight with 5800-6200 low center of gravity batteries, 20-40g lighter.

A hiro seiko screw kit can save 20-25g. They cost $40-55.

Blitz .5mm bodies are 50g lighter than a standard thickness protoform bodies.

Regarding carpet setups .....

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/arc...etsARCR11.html
Old 09-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Scale Spec is steady as she goes, Brian. 1450g it is.

We will track ROAR on the standard touring and 1/12th classes as they evolve, but Scale Spec is our special baby.

(Heck, I actually do have a TA05 Scale Spec car at the ready, if only for the moral comfort of it, and it has an honest to goodness 540-J strapped in )
Glad to hear Scale Spec will continue to be tub friendly so that people can still break out those venerable TAO5s and kick some butt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.