Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ic-racer
I just came across this thread by chance while checking to see if MORR is hosting a race this year (guess not).

I can say as one who stopped 1/8 and could not keep up, the biggest issue was no track time to set the car up. No way to break an engine in before a race (suburban home neighborhood).

The appeal to me in this new car seems to be that there is very little 'setup' is that right? I could plop it on the track and race without having to worry if there is an air bubble in a shock or if I have the right front springs and ride height, toe in, etc bla bla bla.

Also, two potentially dumb questions. They have a diff yes? no? I recall from the 1/10 2wd days that keeping a diff happy was a full time job (at least for this novice)

Lastly, they are single speed but is there is one-way bearing? Do they freewheel when you are off the gas like a 2 speed or do they engine-brake like a RTR single speed.
Talking about modern pan cars, they do have diffs. Driving them with a spool is insanely difficult; you need the diff to smooth out the torque, when coming out of corners. But since they are silicon filled they do not require frequent rebuilds like ball diffs do.

Cars are single speed, without one way. It's not necessary. Actually, in 4wd, 1way bearings in the gearboxes are there to free first gear when the second is in, not to free wheels. To free wheels is the work of the front one ways.

Modern pan cars are very fast. The difference between modern & "old skool" is abysmal. A car like the Z1 above is as fast as 1/10 in lap times, and sometimes few Km/h faster than a 1/8 on the straight.

Of course, having a gear ratio next to the 2nd gear of a 1/8, is slower coming out of hair pins.

I forgot. I drive a Mantua Intrepid.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ic-racer
I just came across this thread by chance while checking to see if MORR is hosting a race this year (guess not).

I can say as one who stopped 1/8 and could not keep up, the biggest issue was no track time to set the car up. No way to break an engine in before a race (suburban home neighborhood).

The appeal to me in this new car seems to be that there is very little 'setup' is that right? I could plop it on the track and race without having to worry if there is an air bubble in a shock or if I have the right front springs and ride height, toe in, etc bla bla bla.

Also, two potentially dumb questions. They have a diff yes? no? I recall from the 1/10 2wd days that keeping a diff happy was a full time job (at least for this novice)

Lastly, they are single speed but is there is one-way bearing? Do they freewheel when you are off the gas like a 2 speed or do they engine-brake like a RTR single speed.
thats right...build it and plop it.......youll have rear/front camber toe in/out adjustments and thats about it......yes...most of the new pan cars have a little to NO maintenance gear diff..and can be tuned with oils /grease....yes, they will freewheel because of the clutch.........buy one and come out......best bang per buck....
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Flygio
I forgot. I drive a Mantua Intrepid.
..lets c some pics of yur Mantua.....You live in US???.........
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taylorm
....dont think anyone will try to sneak in a locked-suspension car..........our real problem is we cant get all the cool new European pan cars without getting a second mortgage on our homes..........the 3 port motor rule/single speed will keep the speeds in check.........this will be the most fun/bang for your buck class this year...we just need to sabotage II's car..Ned..you turn his HSN needle out 3 extra turns and i'll superglue his tires to his set-up board....that'll slow him down.............
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
LOL...........GOOD JOB IN FLORIDA DOOOOD.........
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My used P8C is still for sale, with engine and pipe, body, battery, tires. Just needs receiver, servos, transponder. As soon as I sell it, I am going to get the P8C Extreme 2 and try it out.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

LOL...........GOOD JOB IN FLORIDA DOOOOD.........
Thanks. I'm not sure Ted is really happy with where he finished but I'm really excited about where I finished. There were more pros there this year VS last year so finishing 12th over all feels like a win for me.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

..lets c some pics of yur Mantua.....You live in US???.........
No, I'm from Italy. Sadly I haven't any picture of my car naked, cause I sold it. The only one I have is with the body on. I'm just waiting for the new Intrepid, coming out in these weeks.

The peculiarity of the Intrepid is chassis flex. It's made from some fiberglass, with wide cuts; you can really take the car's front-end in one hand and rear-end in the other and twist it soooooo hard... the cars will just spring back to the original shape. It's something difficult to explain in words, gotta feel it. Really remarkable.

You can see something about the previous car here. The new one will be different though. Two- pieces bulkheads for quicker diff change, narrower chassis and a different weight distribution shifted to the rear.

http://www.mantuamodel.com/index.php...pid&Itemid=106
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-12112012_002.jpg  

Last edited by Flygio; 02-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
I thought you were chicken to race pan class? To hard for you to switch back and forth with 4wd.......
Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
I thought you were chicken to race pan class? To hard for you to switch back and forth with 4wd.......
......name calling will get you banned old man...........
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

No, I'm from Italy. Sadly I haven't any picture of my car naked, cause I sold it. The only one I have is with the body on. I'm just waiting for the new Intrepid, coming out in these weeks.

The peculiarity of the Intrepid is chassis flex. It's made from some fiberglass, with wide cuts; you can really take the car's front-end in one hand and rear-end in the other and twist it soooooo hard... the cars will just spring back to the original shape. It's something difficult to explain in words, gotta feel it. Really remarkable.

You can see something about the previous car here. The new one will be different though. Two- pieces bulkheads for quicker diff change, narrower chassis and a different weight distribution shifted to the rear.

.how many euros are these going to go for?.........this is the car i've wanted all along......now, how to figure out to get this delivered w/o the mrs. knowing.............
Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Nice looking cars. I think the DXF I have was an attempt to accomplish the same thing. I have always liked the fiberglass chassis since we went from aluminum to fiberglass back in the day!!!

What is the difference between the three upper rear a-arm plates shown in the instructions? Different flex?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

......name calling will get you banned old man...........
Banned from what?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

.how many euros are these going to go for?.........this is the car i've wanted all along......now, how to figure out to get this delivered w/o the mrs. knowing.............
I believe ( or better: hope ) somewhere around 450€...

Check out the 2012 car here http://www.rcbazar.net/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=1287

ciao
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

http://www.mantuamodelshop.com/intre...77d7db61d2e5fe . Is this the new Intrepid???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.