Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Let's Vote

So I had and raced Thorp, Marker, Delta, Associated, and MRP. The one I had the most success with was the MRP Pro 180 while my Rick Davis RC300 was the neatest pan I had. My Pro 180 won at club and MWS races and got me a Club championship.
Of all the great pan cars from the pass, I'd have to vote for the MRP Pro 180 as the best with Ricks RC300 second. Lets have some winter fun! Vote for your choice of the best from back in the day!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Best pan car in my opinion hands down was the Delta Super-J !!! Art won the worlds championship with one of those!!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Best old car

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
So I had and raced Thorp, Marker, Delta, Associated, and MRP. The one I had the most success with was the MRP Pro 180 while my Rick Davis RC300 was the neatest pan I had. My Pro 180 won at club and MWS races and got me a Club championship.
Of all the great pan cars from the pass, I'd have to vote for the MRP Pro 180 as the best with Ricks RC300 second. Lets have some winter fun! Vote for your choice of the best from back in the day!
Let's see: Dynamic Pan Car, Scratch Delta copies, Powell Pod cars, Marker, Associated, & MRP. Then the various Suspension Cars....

Really not that much difference between Associated and MRP but MRP was a little simpler/fewer parts. I think the clutch was really the key. Delta tried steel, aluminum, and finally rulon which was Marker's real claim to fame and Associated and MRP actually had the same size clutch, bells and shoes could interchange.
If you had trouble with the gear mesh you probably didn't clamp your engine tight enough, for me the car was bulletproof!

My vote goes with the MRP too!
(I never drove a Davis, but I will this summer!!)
Old 01-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Masters Class=JOKE

Originally Posted by 5italkart
i agree masters would benifit from being tuned down a bit. when i returned too racing i did not expect such high end stuff in the class. thats why the pan cars are so much easier for us "regular" people. but too each his own, find your fun and go with it
I agree, Joe. The first gas race I ran Masters was last years WinterNats. What a surprize! Guys entered in OPEN AND MASTERS, using the same car! The way it's run, the only purpose it serves is to give the fastest Masters entrants more practice and a better chance to get a trophy. They run where they qualify but get the award based on how they compare with the other Masters entries. ????

I think the classes should be based on the type of car, not the driver. Age is not a valid way to seperate driver ability, at the young end or the old. Different cars, with a number of heats in each is the best way to give more racers a chance to run where they have a chance to do well ("do well"= enjoy close racing).

The pan car class is an attempt at this. Cheaper cars should attract people who can't or don't want to spend $1000+ just to get started. Simpler cars should attract new racers and those who want to race, not wrench. Slower cars should also attract new racers and those intimidated by what I would call the insane speeds the 4wd Open cars are capable of running.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default old pans

Originally Posted by aarcobra
I agree, Joe. The first gas race I ran Masters was last years WinterNats. What a surprize! Guys entered in OPEN AND MASTERS, using the same car! The way it's run, the only purpose it serves is to give the fastest Masters entrants more practice and a better chance to get a trophy. They run where they qualify but get the award based on how they compare with the other Masters entries. ????

I think the classes should be based on the type of car, not the driver. Age is not a valid way to seperate driver ability, at the young end or the old. Different cars, with a number of heats in each is the best way to give more racers a chance to run where they have a chance to do well ("do well"= enjoy close racing).

The pan car class is an attempt at this. Cheaper cars should attract people who can't or don't want to spend $1000+ just to get started. Simpler cars should attract new racers and those who want to race, not wrench. Slower cars should also attract new racers and those intimidated by what I would call the insane speeds the 4wd Open cars are capable of running.
when i started in the early 80's the only cars i heard alot of were the 12e's and 300's seems they had more marketing , one guy at our club had a delta super phaser. i do remember big fields at det. club races first time i got too see 1/8th run. first delta 1/8th was when the toledo club would run oval a few years back now that was a laugh!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Default Best car

When I began racing in the mid seventies here in the Northeast the car to beat was the TAURUS. I beleive it was produced by a gentleman named Mike Morrissy. But my vote goes to the Delta Super J, it is the car I had the most wins with.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
When I began racing in the mid seventies here in the Northeast the car to beat was the TAURUS. I beleive it was produced by a gentleman named Mike Morrissy. But my vote goes to the Delta Super J, it is the car I had the most wins with.
http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthrea...-WEBSITE/page2

scroll down..Mike even posted here..........
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the fantastic link, great stuff!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Default Come together now!

Joe, Got those parts, they look great. Sent one down to the cute pan car racer in Cincinnati, she says Thanks!! All my parts have the 17/32 tube in them so I haven't got a chance to play with them yet, but I'll have some new parts later this week. I'm ready to park this electric stuff and get to the real racing!

LET'S RACE!!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default Should that count?

Art could win with a motorized brick!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Joe, Got those parts, they look great. Sent one down to the cute pan car racer in Cincinnati, she says Thanks!! All my parts have the 17/32 tube in them so I haven't got a chance to play with them yet, but I'll have some new parts later this week. I'm ready to park this electric stuff and get to the real racing!

LET'S RACE!!
my pleasure, check out the link matt posted. on the starting grid page they have some old serpent pics , nice pan cars
Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Default What's Going On???

Talk about quiet....IS eveybody so busy working on their pan cars that they can't post at all?

Random thoughts/comments:
Time to get bodies! Lon talked to Dennis and it looks like we need to get a list together and get going. Last estimate was $30 + shipping which is dependent on quantity. Figure $40 and hopefully it will be less. We need to get 20 to 30 to get a good price so order all you can!! I have a list from last fall and I'll e-mail those I can. Link: http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=15

My P8C is still for sale $325 roller. (I have a new secret weapon!)
(Also trying to sell a one race old X-Ray 1/8th scale)

I have one Associated 300BD ready to go with a Losi .20 small block motor and I'm working on a Davis 300 with a NR 3 Port. Both are converted to use "modern" wheels, front is super easy rear, not so much.

Also I'm finishing up a Dynamic Pan car I got from BigMatt on this forum. Will be powered by a vintage Veco or maybe my Veco McCoy!! ;-)

What's the Pan car count look like for Toledo, Cinci, and the MWS?

Let's get some conversations goin'!!!!

Last edited by aarcobra; 02-16-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have suggested to Motonica, and I think they are actually going to do it, to put together a package for the P8C Extreme 2 similar to the P8F Club Race- http://www.motonica.com/en/products/CLUB-RACE_19

I'll post here if it happens. If it does, the P8C Ex2 will be available bundled with GT body, battery, motor, pipe, tires, at a price much cheaper than buying all the extra components separately.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Das, I recently attended a reunion, of sorts, with Bob Welch, Marvin Lew, Don McKay along with others. At this get together, one of the guys had a BRAND NEW Pro 180 complete with a motor and never raced. I. too ran MRP when I started.
Fun evening
Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra

What's the Pan car count look like for Toledo, Cinci, and the MWS?

Let's get some conversations goin'!!!!
1. Joe Patrick
2 .Me
3. Greer
4 Lon Sr
5 Lon Jr
6 Big Joe
7. Does Zuch have one?
8. Rick Davis if we can pry his hands from wrenching on his 1/8 open long enough to run a 5 min..qualifier...
9. Gottfried bought one?.....Yes/No?
10. SuperNed when he can move to Ohio for good......
Looks like a full field this year......should be big fun.....Someoone nudge Hammer in the ribs.........he can run 3 cars......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.