Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Heh.

Originally Posted by 5italkart
if you buy new end mills for your work consider " 2 flute high helix" type they will work well on the softer material. also the edam folks sent me a pic of the clutch, I told'em your doing a good job on our side of the pond.
Many thanx...I, for one, welcome our new foreign overlords....lol.

We're still trying to think of a name for our prototype. I'm a big fan of "lead balloon", tho many tank names would fit as well. "Panzergruppen" has a nice ring to it, even if it doesn't inspire thoughts of speed and agility. WTH, it's got a solid base and would support a cannon, even if local zoning laws weren't against it, not to mention the mild complaints of other drivers who don't find extra holes drilled in their cars particuarly helpful.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Would anyone know what the entry fee will be for the GLC?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
Would anyone know what the entry fee will be for the GLC?
I believe last year it was 40 bucks, another 10 for pit space on a table if you need it, and 20/25 for a shirt. My friend and I have a box trailer and set up our own pits a little closer to the stand since neither of us move all that well....and it's a great, great, race, worth every dime, especially considering what they usually have for raffle.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I believe last year it was 40 bucks, another 10 for pit space on a table if you need it, and 20/25 for a shirt. My friend and I have a box trailer and set up our own pits a little closer to the stand since neither of us move all that well....and it's a great, great, race, worth every dime, especially considering what they usually have for raffle.
I have an idea for the glc, lets have a "celebrity pan car race" put the open a main guys in our low tech stuff and have a laugh, just a thought.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Default Heh

I have an idea for the glc, lets have a "celebrity pan car race" put the open a main guys in our low tech stuff and have a laugh, just a thought.
I'm still trying to get in touch with some of the guys that used to run way back and get them to show up. I'm even offering to provide the car, parts, and fuel, but I'm having a tough time locating people. And about the only guys I'd let drive my ride would be Rick and Ted, but it'd also be more depressing watching someone else do better with my car than me.

I hurt bad enough that I probably would skip the MWS race but we promised to drag a generator with us. I took the engine off my Edam and stuck it on the pan (and there was a difference in engine mounts, which I'll have to take up with Edam...ya gonna make a change, please let the schmuck distributor know so he doesn't look like an idiot when someone else asks why something changed.) We'll see how it does...I was running 1st gear only at the club race and that engine blew, could've been a crap engine, could've been over-revving, but I'll have to watch for that.

Want to ask some of the club members here (and I'll be doing so up at the race as well) but while we had ok raffle stuff at the GLC last year, it was definitely not as nice as the year before. Question...who is in charge of contacting people to make them pony up for prizes and such? I hope we're not saddling one person with all that, and I'd love to help out with getting more loot for our race. Pan had what I thought was an excellent turnout last year, this year looks equally promising.

Matt has found a link for a good looking diff at an affordable price. I suspect more research will be needed anyways, but the Edam build proto I'm working on will be using the diff out of an old Serpent Excel I have laying around. It should fit perfectly, and with a trimmed up version of my front end, I'm quite sure a kit could sell in the 300 buck ballpark range. If, for some reason, Edam doesn't bite and produce the things, I'm contemplating producing them myself, with a slight change.....

Edam now sells a 4wd RTR for about 300 bucks, engine and cheap 27 band radio included. I could retro an RTR for about 500/550 total and the customer basically get two cars for the price of one. Another 70 bucks for the Edam hop up kit and the RTR can be converted fully into what I drive today. Question is, would this be a product of interest to people, especially the newbies? I like the thought of saving a buck AND having options.

I'm bringing a spare Edam Razor2 kit with me for anyone that wants to buy one (hint, hint.)

I've packed the transponder Lon so generously lent me...of course, had I returned it promptly, I wouldn't have to remember the wretched thing.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I was running 1st gear only at the club race and that engine blew, could've been a crap engine, could've been over-revving, but I'll have to watch for that.

..........Phil...do you know what your FDR was with the Tank-O-Pan in first gear??.........( that's a term of endearment...I believe the car has potential...specially with the ultra trick G10 chassis)......maybe we grenade because of a too tall ratio???.......
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

Default Huh

Originally Posted by Taylorm
..........Phil...do you know what your FDR was with the Tank-O-Pan in first gear??.........( that's a term of endearment...I believe the car has potential...specially with the ultra trick G10 chassis)......maybe we grenade because of a too tall ratio???.......
You got me there...what's a FDR...only FDR I know is a former president, and while he did have wheels of his own, I have doubts about his lap times (unless it was in the pool....with a pretty lifeguard.) I'm not sure about the gear ratio, I can fix that and have something that should work for this weekend, but curiosity makes me wonder if it was strictly engine related (engine wasn't all that great from the start) or if I helped it along in its demise. Anyhoo, I've got my 4wd engine on it now and have to steal back the VOX from David in order to get my 4wd operational again....but the way I'm feeling, I'll probably restrict myself to pan, if I run at all. And yeah, chassis has flex now, which certainly can't hurt. I'm nearly to the point where, outside of lightening, I'm devoid of ideas on mechanical/design improvement. I have Delta, SG and MRP to look at for guidance, but I'm travelling a path they didn't, and while I'm pretty good at building things, I'm crap when it comes to design.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

FDR= final drive ratio
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Matt,
I won't be coming up for the MWS. Having back problems and can't sit in car (or at computer) without bad pain. Drugs help some but then I can't drive...

You better help Phil with his gears, sounds like he needs it!!

I have my cheapo car ready to run but you guys sound like you are almost ready for production with yours so I'll just wait and put my order in for the first $300 R-T-R!

I'm going to try sell my DFX, Old Moto (pre-P8C), Davis Pan, and a couple of Associated 300's. I'll probably go with eBay to see how much I can get for the old stuff, but the Modern Pans might be good for sombody to race IF they can adapt, make some parts...
Old 05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Matt,
I won't be coming up for the MWS. Having back problems and can't sit in car (or at computer) without bad pain. Drugs help some but then I can't drive...

I have my cheapo car ready to run but you guys sound like you are almost ready for production with yours so I'll just wait and put my order in for the first $300 R-T-R!

I'm going to try sell my DFX, Old Moto (pre-P8C), Davis Pan, and a couple of Associated 300's. I'll probably go with eBay to see how much I can get for the old stuff, but the Modern Pans might be good for sombody to race IF they can adapt, make some parts...
sorry to hear that....hows about UPS the cars and we all pitch in to fly your butt here?....
Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Can-Am ´73

Finally,

McLaren M20 aka Roy Woods Racing is ready to hit the track :-) on our Veteran tour.
I made some mistakes, but as ussually I worked on it for last three days.

I hope, that old chassis and old MVVS engine manage whole race. At this time we have 11 entries, so this is incredible :-) (Czech Republic is small country)
I will send report as soon as possible.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5173486.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5173481.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5173483.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5173485.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5173497.jpg  

Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dvondrakcz
Finally,

McLaren M20 aka Roy Woods Racing is ready to hit the track :-) on our Veteran tour.
I made some mistakes, but as ussually I worked on it for last three days.

I hope, that old chassis and old MVVS engine manage whole race. At this time we have 11 entries, so this is incredible :-) (Czech Republic is small country)
I will send report as soon as possible.

cheers
nice car, you just need a wiper on that servo for the drivers visor
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Matt,

please bring your car when you can, remember if we show you ours....
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Foster made a few laps in his fresh pan car a few minutes ago here in Toledo. It was actually pretty good but the best part is he really liked it. He is pretty excited about running it tomorrow in the Midwest Series race.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

please bring your car when you can, remember if we show you ours....
I've seen pics of Matt's. I thought you were running 4wd. and Phil is running around in first gear!! I can't compete with that!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.