Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I like the idea of the class, inexpensive and easy for a beginner to understand. I will probably get one to keep us a "club car" in Cincinnati for people to try. We could run them at the Snowball Rally in October also.
Dennis
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dyoung
I like the idea of the class, inexpensive and easy for a beginner to understand. I will probably get one to keep us a "club car" in Cincinnati for people to try. We could run them at the Snowball Rally in October also.
Dennis
So you are you going to order kits? Stock parts? These guys in this thread are looking for a dealer! Your guys track is perfect for pan cars being so flat and smooth.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
What are you doing in here? lol The plan is to run the GT body if we have to run with the GT guys. Sports car bodies if we have our own heat. I really like the idea of running old 4wd open parts on my pan car such as tires, motors, bodies. Alot of that stuff is just laying around and having a car to put it on and burn up is just fine by me. If we don't make rules to prevent you from running old left over parts it will keep the class CHEAP!! Jeff Z and myself throw away alot of tires a week that would work great on a pan car for a whole weekend yet.
I vote new bodies, tires, and motors for every race! if that will keep jeff and lon II out ;-) jk
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Default Bodies for Pan Class

The plan is to run the GT body if we have to run with the GT guys. Sports car bodies if we have our own heat.
Being more of an "interested party" that a participant, take this for what it's worth (nothing ;-)) BUT I think that it is unfortunate that the two classes likely will run the same bodies (I seriously hope no one will run used bodies from 4wd cars-that would really be sad)

I know there is a problem with the price of the sedan bodies. Any body have any ideas?

So the body that will be run at the Toledo MWS will not be determined until sign-ups? That sucks (IMHO) Probably better to go with sedan, then there won't be any changes required if Pan has to race with GT.

WHat happened to all the comments/opinions that the Pan cars with sedan bodies really looked great on the track??????
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Being more of an "interested party" that a participant, take this for what it's worth (nothing ;-)) BUT I think that it is unfortunate that the two classes likely will run the same bodies (I seriously hope no one will run used bodies from 4wd cars-that would really be sad)

I know there is a problem with the price of the sedan bodies. Any body have any ideas?

So the body that will be run at the Toledo MWS will not be determined until sign-ups? That sucks (IMHO) Probably better to go with sedan, then there won't be any changes required if Pan has to race with GT.

WHat happened to all the comments/opinions that the Pan cars with sedan bodies really looked great on the track??????
I don't know. I thought most of the guys wanted to run sportscar bodies because they work better, and cost less? I know the GT bodies look good but at 50 bucks a crack is not cheap. I don't care either way and by no means am I the rule maker for this class. I'm just posting what i think.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by aarcobra
I vote new bodies, tires, and motors for every race! if that will keep jeff and lon II out ;-) jk
That may keep me out but that won't stop deep pockets Zuccereall from running.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't think every pan car in Toledo has a GT body at this time either. So do we say the pan car has to run a GT body then not have a class because only three of us have the right body?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

I don't think every pan car in Toledo has a GT body at this time either. So do we say the pan car has to run a GT body then not have a class because only three of us have the right body?
I thought your dad already did. If there are not six cars, pans race with GT's...
So what happens if there are three, four, or five pan cars? Not enough for a separate class. So they have to switch to GT bodies to run with the GT cars? But only three of the guys can switch to GT bodies 'cause the others don't have them.

I don't have a solution either...this is getting to complicated for me. I was told to get a GT body because that's what Team Burling had for its three cars. I "objected" for the reasons of cost and availability. (not so much for myself but because others may have a problem with the price mainly, and the fact there is really only one body even for $50. (I did find others for $100.

I don't like to hear the part about the sports bodies handling better, IMO they look like crap and if you want better handling, get a 4WD!

Your "rule recommendations" don't restrict motors, allowing old 4WD motors to save money. I think some may feel this is running against the idea of a cheaper/slower? class. Rick mentioned intake or exhaust restrictors. Have you decided how to equalize the motors? Please don't say that the 2wd cars can't use more power...than what? You or Jeff with a well set car and your superior ;-) driving talents certainly can use more power than I can.....

I bet most guys don't really care what is decided but would like something figured out and written down.

In the old days we would send out a questionaire allowing people to vote on what they would like to see done. I guess with the internet and these forums that is just too much trouble.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

......no GT bodies.........and we dont run with the big car GT class...we run our own class with any Lola type body except the newer TOP FUEL BODIES...........you wanna run a Flash?..go ahead......youll get passed by a low horsepower hooked up car......rules done.......lets run em....
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm
......no GT bodies.........and we dont run with the big car GT class...we run our own class with any Lola type body except the newer TOP FUEL BODIES...........you wanna run a Flash?..go ahead......youll get passed by a low horsepower hooked up car......rules done.......lets run em....
OK, Good! Now before I come up to the MWS in a couple of weeks, tell me what happens if there are not six entries running in the Pan class. Lon I had said if there were not six we would run pan with the GT Class. (Another related question is what if six sign up and one or more drop out-can we still keep running?) I doubt the GT class in the MWS will allow "Lola" type bodies running with the buggy GT's.

I don't want to drive up and not be able to know what's what!

What are "TOP FUEL BODIES"?

By the way you'll get beat every time by more a more powerful car the is equally hooked up!

Matt, I'm jumping back and forth between the rules for next season and the rules for pan cars running in the Toledo MWS, Sept. 10 & 11. Since we're talking about pan cars, some of the decisions on the rules may be the same and have the same pros and cons. I just don't want to drive all the way up there and not know what's what. We have plenty of time to redo next seasons rules a hundered times befor spring!

Last edited by aarcobra; 08-30-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default BIG 2 for 2WD

When I first brought out the P8C cars, they had weak front ends and sportscar bodies, interest was low. Ned's fix for the front end and the GT body has raised the interest allot! Those who have made the effort to get the cars have also gotten the GT body. The GT bodies seem to be holding up very well. I wish we had more choices, but for now we don't. These are the facts.
Now the guy running a old car with limited parts really should not be asked to buy a new motor or body, just let em run for the fun!(love watching those cars) Those who really look at this class as a dumping station for any old stuff they have laying around, well you're missing the point. I would think anyone with all that stuff laying around could easily afford a $50 body.
I'm not locked in on the GT, but I understand the value of something different running around the track. This would be a shot in the arm for our hobby. If your idea is to do what it takes to run the fastest lap time you can, GO TO 4WD!! Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

My best guess is that no matter what pan cars will be running at the MWS race. In which heat? I don't know. If you come up with a sports car body, or a GT body I'm sure you can run it no matter what since there are no rules set on paper and this is just to get a feel for rules that might need to be made over the winter months.

My plan is to throw down the fastest pan car I can and see just how restrictive the rules need to be to keep the playing field level.

As for bodies I don't care what the group as a whole want to do (I will run whatever) but I don't think asking everyone to buy a 50 dollar body for the cheap entry level class makes any sense. A out dated 1/8th sports car body can be had for 10 to 20 bucks so the 30 to 40 dollars saved buys almost 2 gal. of fuel.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

6 guys need to show up and sign up. Jeff Z., Lon Sr., and me are going to run forsure. We need three more and Ned if you are going to come up here you want to come up for the MWS race! Its the final race of the series and we have a pig roast and alot of fun! Should be 60 to 90 entries so you should have more time between heats to keep both cars going.
count me in !!!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Serpent used to make quite a few GT bodies for 1/8th that cost the same as the regular bodies. They had McClarens, Porsche, Ferrari. I will see if they are still available.
Dennis
Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default Birth of Something Different!

A modern pan car with a GT body and 3 port motor is a very fun package. It's not cheap to buy, but still a great package. This car well not look like a slow 4wd.
Bolting a Flash in a pan car for any reason should be unacceptable. If you're in the right place, a $10 body can be found, anywhere else $25 to $30. Who are you fooling?
Sell or dump your old engine on a not as rich 4wd racer and buy a new 3 port. This is good cheap fun racing that some of us have enjoyed already, I've been there! You went to help our hobby, or the new guy? Leave it alone! The savings you are talking is B.S. If saving $30 is going to make the difference in getting into our hobby, stay out! We didn't get into R/C cars to save money, that goes for any new guys too! That seems like painting the wrong picture! Hell! Sell your Flash and buy the new guy a 3 port and a GT body.
We've seen simple in action and people like it, leave it alone.
LET'S RACE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.