Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrod
I usually don't get on here and post a lot, but here is my two cents worth. The class should remain simple with simple rules that are in essence already there. 2wd 8th scale, what ever the stock motor lon is currently running, it is not to powerful and the guys using them are having no problems out of them, as soon as you start opening up the motors and the performance, trust me when I say this the class will fail. Keep the bodies the gt style that you guys have been running, this adds a little bit of a challenge to handling and driver skill, don't screw it up with allowing lola bodies, that is what 8th scale open is for.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'd love to see the class full of GT bodies and cheap motors. However we are trying to make room for the vintage pan cars also. With a solid rear axle they don't really stand a chance against a modern pan car with the same GT body. Plus they don't have the same motor as Lon's cars do and again i don't think we should make everyone go out and buy a body and motor to run in the class. I know everyone thinks I'm putting a Novarossi Flash into this pan car with a sports car body on it to win but the fact is I'm doing it to see if we do in fact need to make rules to keep someone from doing such a thing. For all I know the car might do back flips when you hit the throttle making the motor useless. I'm sure it will be faster but I'm not sure it will be that much faster that we need to make a bunch of rules.

If it is that much faster I have the stock 3 port motor ready to bolt back in and the body is mounted on the same mounts as the GT body so thats a non-issue. I can have it right back to Lon Sr. spec class specs in 10 minutes.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Too much talking, not enough racing.

Believe me, even a Kangaroo is too much power for these cars, but if that's what someone has, let them run it. More money saved for later. Cheap 3 port motor is all these cars need.

As for bodies, I recommend running what you have for now, and make the rules later. Just have fun.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I usually don't get on here and post a lot, but here is my two cents worth. The class should remain simple with simple rules that are in essence already there. 2wd 8th scale, what ever the stock motor lon is currently running, it is not to powerful and the guys using them are having no problems out of them, as soon as you start opening up the motors and the performance, trust me when I say this the class will fail. Keep the bodies the gt style that you guys have been running, this adds a little bit of a challenge to handling and driver skill, don't screw it up with allowing lola bodies, that is what 8th scale open is for.
I'd say this is pretty close to what I have (and I think Lon I) in mind. I think it's pretty hard to use "whatever stock motor Lon is currently running" since I just aske Garen about one and he doesn't have any. I also think they are kinda obsolete from Motonica and being replaced by a different one, Correct? Anyway I don't know how to keep the power level equal but I do know you guys that say you can have too much power are dead wrong. You don't use all the extra power, just enough to pass somebody or on the straight when no-one's looking! Be serious! The most important point is: don't screw it up with allowing (Fill in the blank), that is what 8th scale open is for.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes I am out of stock, but I can still get more, at least for the short term. Oddly enough, I had these motors in stock for a very long time.
Here is one list of motors, plenty of cheap ones to choose from:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...rl&filter_mfr=
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

as soon as you start opening up the motors and the performance, trust me when I say this the class will fail. Keep the bodies the gt style that you guys have been running, this adds a little bit of a challenge to handling and driver skill, don't screw it up with allowing lola bodies, that is what 8th scale open is for.
dont know how opening up motors would kill the class..........a 'Roo or Flash is just going to light the tires up and make the car undriveable.........Are the stock motors in the Motonicas 3-port motors???......anyone ever looked inside???...curious....lets limit the cars to 3 port motors and run any (non-top-fuel) body you can get your hands on................DONE....to many rules will kill the class................Now where did i put that tire sauce???
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
I don't know what everyone else is thinking but I feel the class should be open to anyone who wants to run it. Ned, and Lon Sr. seem to think Jeff Z and myself should not be allowed to run it but I can't tell if they are joking or not about it. Jeff and I both feel its a class we could run as a 2nd class without all the work of a sedan or IGT car, plus get more use out of our 4wd parts.
Can't speak for you Dad, but I think anyone should be allowed to run in the class taht wants to run, You and Jeff included. I just don't think you "Pro Type" guys should make the rules. I would like to see fairly restricted rules for a couple of reasons: 1) I want the cars slow enough that more newer and older people have a chance to drive them near the car's limit. Recently we've been running VTA cars on our TC track in SC. TC3's and Losi's and the cars are dead even. We have had 6 or more different drivers drive the cars switch cars, it doesn't matter, the racing is very close and the guys are having FUN. Yeah when you watch the cars run they look stupid slow but when you drive IT'S FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2)If you have to commit to a slower, different looking car that isn't as appealing to the "Pro's" they might want to race for FUN instead of to beat everybody's A%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize that these ideas won't make sense to very many of y'all and probably many of the Pan car supporters won't like this either. I really like 1/8 scale racing but the 4WDs are just tooooooo fast for me and the scare me (cause I'll crash and have to spend $$ and time to crash again!!! But I'll probably always have one :-)) Or 4!!!

If whoever makes the rules for this stuff would have made a "real" Masters Class with an older age limit, slower cars (carb and/or exhaust restriction?) and not allow drivers to run in both "Open" and "Masters" maybe none of this Pan stuff would have ever been brought up!!!! (Before you start saying the cars require too much set-up, cost too much and all the other bull crap, I went to the WInternats with two Evolvas, two Picco's, and three $20 half painted bodies. Finished 4 of 5 qualifiers, all but a couple minutes of the Main and had a great time. Oh yeah, No fancy set-up tools, mostly eyeball, haven't run 1/8 scale for 10 to 15 years. Yeah I was many seconds off the pace but I finished 4th and did I mention, had a GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm
dont know how opening up motors would kill the class..........a 'Roo or Flash is just going to light the tires up and make the car undriveable.........Are the stock motors in the Motonicas 3-port motors???......anyone ever looked inside???...curious....lets limit the cars to 3 port motors and run any (non-top-fuel) body you can get your hands on................DONE....to many rules will kill the class................Now where did i put that tire sauce???
Matt, Do you really believe that the engine/clutch can't be setup to use some, but not all, of the hotter motor's power and that would not be an advantage? The guy's with the better throttle control (Lon II, Jeff, Joe, YOU!) can't use what they don't have! ;-)

Does that make any sense to you at all?

I got alot of work to do before next weekend, so I gotta quit gettin g on here
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Right next to Meijer?
don't think so i remember a pond with a fountain. if not i'll just stay at the hojo in perrysburg. great too see all the discussion on this class, not easy too come up with rules
Old 09-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

I make a motion that Ned and Lon come up with a set of rules for the pan car class that makes the racing 1st) fun 2nd) fair 3rd) cheap.

In the end I don't care what the rules are I will follow whatever they come up with. Maybe leave the 3 port motors alone then if someone wants to use a old fast motor they have to run a giant restrictor? Either way I think we have all got our ideas of what it should be across to everyone else on here and now its time to come up with some rules.

The flash pan car with be run this weekend on a sprayed track so i will report back with my findings.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by garen
Too much talking, not enough racing.

Believe me, even a Kangaroo is too much power for these cars, but if that's what someone has, let them run it. More money saved for later. Cheap 3 port motor is all these cars need.

As for bodies, I recommend running what you have for now, and make the rules later. Just have fun.

To much talk? Your crazy! I find this all very entertaining. I can't wait to get home from work to read what everyone has said. I told my Dad lastnight its important that we all talk about this and do the work now so that we can have rules inplace for next season so we can focus on growing the class and not changing the rules weekly or as needed. Making rules is no fun but if everyone has a voice in the matter rules can be made with open eyes to what everyone feels is good for them. Once you have a good set of rules in place and make the class a fun fair race for everyone even more people will want to join in. I have been around long enough to know that changing rules weekly, and not controling rules will kill a class.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Talking

I agree - let me know what the rules are so I know what to buy. You guys decide, you have some experience with these cars so whatever you decide on is fine with me. It would be great if rules could be posted by the end of the month. Should be fun.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Matt, Do you really believe that the engine/clutch can't be setup to use some, but not all, of the hotter motor's power and that would not be an advantage? The guy's with the better throttle control (Lon II, Jeff, Joe, YOU!) can't use what they don't have! ;-)

Does that make any sense to you at all?

I got alot of work to do before next weekend, so I gotta quit gettin g on here
.oh i'm sure the power could be used on a billiard table smooth track with tons of traction.............BUT, these cars hop like frogs at the Toledo track.......I wish i had the throttle control that the Zuch's and the II's had..... at the club race where everone was driving Jrs. car,i was just a tick off Zucharells qualifying.........thats due to the fact that the slower motor was the equalizer.........not due to my driving......................i say 3 port motors and no more..........3 port off road motors can be had for nothing compared to a big dog FLASH.....................I am interested in watching II run his with a Flash though....just to see what it runs like....
Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.oh i'm sure the power could be used on a billiard table smooth track with tons of traction.............BUT, these cars hop like frogs at the Toledo track.......I wish i had the throttle control that the Zuch's and the II's had..... at the club race where everone was driving Jrs. car,i was just a tick off Zucharells qualifying.........thats due to the fact that the slower motor was the equalizer.........not due to my driving......................i say 3 port motors and no more..........3 port off road motors can be had for nothing compared to a big dog FLASH.....................I am interested in watching II run his with a Flash though....just to see what it runs like....
You are still talking about using ALL the power. What about using just SOME of the power? Like KERS in F1, about 10%, or Push to Pass in IndyCar, maybe about 5% (not to sure). Power used without control is tire smoke, but power used with control is the winning advantage!!! I think your point about about Jeff's times and your times with the same car are right on. If he had 10% more power and could use it, and you did not have any more he'll beat you every time! That's why I said "you can't use what you don't have". But don't underestimate your driving. I've watched you race the last time I was up and you are a very good driver!! ;-)

I agree, let's go with 3 port off-road engines next year. Now what's the very best 3 port engine? Cost be damned!!!!!!!!! JK
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Default The Edge

Matt, This last winter we were having allot of fun playing with these 1/10th sprint cars. They were very close in power and you had to set up a pass at just the right place and fight to make it stick (like everybody running a 3 port). For Oval racing, we were having a blast! Enter the boosted speed control. While those who had these new ESC, didn't see anything wrong or unfair about them as their lap times were not much faster(but faster for sure). The rest of us couldn't help but notice how easily they could pass where ever they wanted to. Our fun class was dead at that point.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Elliot

Any of the Euro pans are good to go, it'd be nice to see something different, but the P8C is a great starting point. Myself? I don't see where the Extreme offers anything over the other P8C. Garen is able to get another brand car also. Check it out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.