R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2004, 05:09 PM   #14671
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bronx,NY
Posts: 431
Send a message via AIM to Bxclip
Default

the nsr 123 or Novarossi NRS-RR12L3 or even te
Novarossi NRS-RR12L5 is there a diff between 5 port and 3 port and are all these engines turbo engines? also lookin at mugen x12 can i fit that onto serpent and any betetr pi[ps then the turbo II
Bxclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #14672
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bronx,NY
Posts: 431
Send a message via AIM to Bxclip
Default

are turbo engiens raor legal? i heard they werent
Bxclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #14673
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ratios confuse me a bit these days. I was fine until Master Salven used the tractor analogy somewhere when he said something like tractors having high internal ratios and have useless acceleration!
The law of diminishing returns ! That's what MS tried to tell. True that initial acceleration would be good if you have a 8.08 1st gear ratio but that's it... Just initial acceleration for a few feet until 2nd gear takes over. If you go with a slightly larger track, a 6.8 1st gear ratio would make use of the engine power better giving you acceleration from the engine powerband more than just a few a few measely feet.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:27 PM   #14674
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bxclip
are turbo engiens raor legal? i heard they werent
Turbo engines (as in referring to the turbo plug) is already legal.

If you run a 5 port engine, it's illegal. You should be using a 3 port engine.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:28 PM   #14675
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bxclip
the nsr 123 or Novarossi NRS-RR12L3 or even te
Novarossi NRS-RR12L5 is there a diff between 5 port and 3 port and are all these engines turbo engines?
These engines are all using turbo plugs. The RR12L3 (3 port) or RR12L5 (5 port) are all long stroke varients. Good for smallish and more tight tracks. The NS12S3 (3 port) and the NS12S5 (5 port) are the short stroke varients which are said to be better for long tracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bxclip
also lookin at mugen x12 can i fit that onto serpent and any betetr pi[ps then the turbo II
You should be able to fit the engine in the 710. You can try Novarossi inline pipe 52606 or the NovaMega TP06 inline pipe. Excellent.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:56 AM   #14676
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland,New Zealand
Posts: 590
Default RR12L3

Quote:
Originally posted by Bxclip
the nsr 123 or Novarossi NRS-RR12L3 or even te
Novarossi NRS-RR12L5 is there a diff between 5 port and 3 port and are all these engines turbo engines? also lookin at mugen x12 can i fit that onto serpent and any betetr pi[ps then the turbo II
I run a RRL3 and it is very quick for a tight track, and this leads me into my question

Our track is super tight through the infield and i have been reading the xxx main set up booklet (good reading!) and i now understand the basics however i am finding that a clutch that engages harshly and quickly is not nessecerly good because i have heaps of understeer through the infield (when accelarating) i have tried harder rear springs, decreasing the front droop and adding a front ball diff, but to no avail. The car is excellent through the rest of the track, but just not through a tight chicane after an hairpin (we come to an almost stop then go), were it just wants to go straight when turning!
any ideas? as i dont like the car with a slipping clutch it just feels slow! or is this the answer
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:35 AM   #14677
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 977
Default Re: RR12L3

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodo_Magic
I run a RRL3 and it is very quick for a tight track, and this leads me into my question

Our track is super tight through the infield and i have been reading the xxx main set up booklet (good reading!) and i now understand the basics however i am finding that a clutch that engages harshly and quickly is not nessecerly good because i have heaps of understeer through the infield (when accelarating) i have tried harder rear springs, decreasing the front droop and adding a front ball diff, but to no avail. The car is excellent through the rest of the track, but just not through a tight chicane after an hairpin (we come to an almost stop then go), were it just wants to go straight when turning!
any ideas? as i dont like the car with a slipping clutch it just feels slow! or is this the answer
Try a tighter rear diff (tighter clamp) setting. Drive the car and little by little have your pitman tighten the diff.
__________________
Team Serpent, Xceed, Sanwa, LRP
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:47 AM   #14678
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland,New Zealand
Posts: 590
Default Re: Re: RR12L3

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
Try a tighter rear diff (tighter clamp) setting. Drive the car and little by little have your pitman tighten the diff.
Thanks for the advise
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:16 AM   #14679
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
The law of diminishing returns ! That's what MS tried to tell. True that initial acceleration would be good if you have a 8.08 1st gear ratio but that's it... Just initial acceleration for a few feet until 2nd gear takes over. If you go with a slightly larger track, a 6.8 1st gear ratio would make use of the engine power better giving you acceleration from the engine powerband more than just a few a few measely feet.
Ah, well put D. I forgot that these days I do club races on two small tracks!

Next year it gets a little serious with the Nationals and the WinterNats.

What's up with the kits being sold there these days? Someone was saying that its 710 version 2.1 ... is this true?

If it is, what are the mods/changes?
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:51 AM   #14680
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ah, well put D. I forgot that these days I do club races on two small tracks!

Next year it gets a little serious with the Nationals and the WinterNats.
It all starts in October Sow!

Quote:
What's up with the kits being sold there these days? Someone was saying that its 710 version 2.1 ... is this true?
I think you're getting mixed up with the FAQ and the Car
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:25 AM   #14681
Tech Master
 
impalabob64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: florida
Posts: 1,464
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to impalabob64
Default picco xp12R

well u guys my ? was answered sun at my lhs is fwo5r faster then the snake i took on 2 fwo5s one with 5port os max the other mr12 modified my eng picco x12R modified non turbo .well lets say the only car i had to try to catch was my best buddy kevin with his mtx3 which we both were turning 13,14 sec laps. yes the fwo5r accel superfast i watched an studied so i was locked frt so i decided to tighten the rear diff an the was on the attack put the one fwo5 down 5laps the other 6laps the picco eng is rated at 1.45 hp now with it modified well u knew the rest.
__________________
RoninRc.com
MurnanModifiedMotors
Basher BT-4
impalabob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #14682
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
It all starts in October Sow!
Ooops! You're right! I'd better get my act together now. A 5-port JP-FX should do the trick ... waddaya think?

Quote:
I think you're getting mixed up with the FAQ and the Car
Ah ... maybe you're right. Anyway, the FAQ needs updating. The short wheel base mod I did is amazing. Well worth doing for foams.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 AM   #14683
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default Re: picco xp12R

Quote:
Originally posted by impalabob64
well u guys my ? was answered sun at my lhs is fwo5r faster then the snake i took on 2 fwo5s one with 5port os max the other mr12 modified my eng picco x12R modified non turbo .well lets say the only car i had to try to catch was my best buddy kevin with his mtx3 which we both were turning 13,14 sec laps. yes the fwo5r accel superfast i watched an studied so i was locked frt so i decided to tighten the rear diff an the was on the attack put the one fwo5 down 5laps the other 6laps the picco eng is rated at 1.45 hp now with it modified well u knew the rest.
First comment: please use full stops in your sentences at least ... I had to read your post a few times to understand it.

Second comment: in the "my car is faster than yours" department, you win. Glad you're VERY happy with the 710! Next time go kick your friend's MTX as well.

By the way ... thanks for "sharing your passion" with us.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #14684
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default Re: picco xp12R

Quote:
Originally posted by impalabob64
well u guys my ? was answered sun at my lhs is fwo5r faster then the snake i took on 2 fwo5s one with 5port os max the other mr12 modified my eng picco x12R modified non turbo .well lets say the only car i had to try to catch was my best buddy kevin with his mtx3 which we both were turning 13,14 sec laps. yes the fwo5r accel superfast i watched an studied so i was locked frt so i decided to tighten the rear diff an the was on the attack put the one fwo5 down 5laps the other 6laps the picco eng is rated at 1.45 hp now with it modified well u knew the rest.

Bobby, forgot to ask you. How did you find tuning the Picco ... easy?

What temperatures are you running the engine at in Florida and with what plug and nitro content?

Also, your local track is where the WinterNats is run?

Thanks!
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:28 AM   #14685
Tech Adept
 
Herbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 121
Talking

So Sow doing some research for the winternats next year!?!?!?!!?

I presume you watched the Ray Wood dvd of the winternats several times
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Serpent 835 JFCJ R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 02-20-2005 09:29 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:55 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net