Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Cool

They're probably already working on the 777 Model, so perhaps you should wait for it.
I for one would like to congratulate Serpent on their continuing attempts to improve their product line.
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i don't see this as a problem i think they were just upgrading
the current car impulse to 705 so that it can have the features
that would still be competitive with the market untill a completely
new car was ready for production 710. i assume that when you bought the 705 you compared features with other cars in the
market. would it have been better if they left the impulse as
is when first introduced untill the 710 was ready 4 years later.
that is the nature of racing develop the current car as technology
permits it. just like the battery below the tank that would not
have worked just because the aaa bateries did not have enough
capacity back then wich was adressed with upgrades along
with other upgrades. as for the 705 there was so much upgrades
on that car from the impulse pro that it would have been cheaper
to buy a kit.
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If 710 is like a "People Friendly" RC race car that all level of racer can handle.........I think they should take a look at the NTC3 manual. Personally, I think NTC3's manual did a great job of telling everyone the standard STOCK setting on all areas (like 2-speed, clutch, ride height, ball diff....etc) then give the option FOAM tires setting at the back of the manual.

I think Serpent can consider the same, printed out the stock setting on all adjustable parts while we put the car together........then give a "SMALL TRACK" setup (or something similar) and a "Large Track" setup.........

I knew Serpent and their team does have a lot of info on their website, but honestly, mytsn is NOT the easiest site to look thru, for others that cannot have too much time to spend on internet, they can only do whatever they can find on the manual.......I also know that, no NEWBIE should considered Serpent 710 (or general Serpent) for their first car.............but I personally think 710 CAN be a first car for newbie, as long as the owner has enough information about the 710.

Overall, I think the Serpent Manaul is not that "People friendly"......for those like us that raced/owned Serpent the last 4-5 years, it is not a big deal, but if Serpent want to draw ppl from others like HPI or AE, I think a better listed manual (or diagram) is a must...........
Old 11-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by lawndoggie
hmmm
Julius, You mentioned on your article that 705 felt like a piece of shit when it wasn't set correctly, and that the sweetspot was small.... so why did serpent release the car? You mentioned that the 710 was tested by many people of different driving level. Well, did 705 go through the same kind of testing? If so, did those less experienced drivers complain about how difficult to get a good set up? If so, what did serpent do to fix the problem? And was the problem fixed before the 705 was released?
My article seems not to be as clear as I hoped. To put it simple, the 705 was a logical evolution of the Impulse. It was NOT a new car. We were faced with a big race (the world cup) and tried to get the maximum out of the Impulse platform (as a new car was still a thing of the future). Put against the competition we needed to stretch the cars performance to the limit. And on the limit the 705 (as the impulse) is a difficult car to setup correctly. The Impulse was driven by many people of different skill level and the 705 was a different car in details. We made the cg lower and the chassis stiffer which made the car better. But far from what we have achieved with the 710

I understand that the low inertia new centax III was designed before the release of 705, so why wasn't it included in the 705?
The concept of low inertia drivetrain was designed (ie the new internal ratio). The centax III and the new pitch gears came later. To change the internal ratio of the 705 would have needed changes to so many things you'd almost be building a new car.

On your article, you also mentioned that the improvement over the impluse on the 705 was the FC and new tank design. Well I can see the tank as standard.. but why is the FC NOT standard?
The FC was a prototype part when the 705 was released. In the beginning we never intended to use it on the 705. During Cincinatti we found them to work better (although they can increase the risk of traction roll on the 705). Like the prototype rear suspension Ralph Burch used at the Nats and the changed front geometry we used at the Euro's it was a half cure to keep the 705 sort of competative against the newer cars of the competition. We would have very much liked to have the new car at those races I can tell you!

The bottom line is, WHY releasing the 705 when serpent could simply release conversion/hop up parts? Also when a new/better design was clearly on its way!?
In a way the 705 is nothing but an Impulse with a conversion/ hop up kit. The 705 is a step up from the impulse. Unfortunately it was all we could do at the time.

Would serpent release a car with mediocre parts/design when they knew they clearly had something better in the bag?
I suggest you re read my article about us scrapping the first prototype because we were not entirely satisfied...
Old 11-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by clmbia45
They're probably already working on the 777 Model, so perhaps you should wait for it.
I for one would like to congratulate Serpent on their continuing attempts to improve their product line.
Thank you
Old 11-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Bearing sizes

Originally posted by fmolzer
Julius, while you are on-line, can you confirm the sizes of bearings in the 710?
Wheel bearings 10*15*4 mm
Diff bearings 12*18*4 mm
2-speed and middle axle 6*13*4
Old 11-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by lawndoggie
I would also like to know doggie bones' length
All I know is they are different from previous ones.
That does not mean the old ones were bad design
Old 11-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Bearing sizes

Originally posted by Julius
Wheel bearings 10*15*4 mm
Diff bearings 12*18*4 mm
2-speed and middle axle 6*13*4
Thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

I for one have a hard time understanding why some people have an issue with the progression through Imp Pro-705-710. Any manufacturer that produces anything will always try to improve on their line-up. Last week, the new Durangos were out here in the US. I have yet to hear anybody being angry with Dodge for releasing a new car. I have also not heard anybody that complained abour Dodge selling 2003 Durangos when they were secretly designing the 2004 version. Get with the program ! 705 is still one of the best cars out there and I for one plan to race the living s**t out of my 705 in local parking lot racing before It gets to retire on my shelf.... If you don't like 710 being out there, just keep doing your dirty work with the 705/impulse SS/Pro or whatever you run. No one will stop you.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
I also know that, no NEWBIE should considered Serpent 710 (or general Serpent) for their first car.............but I personally think 710 CAN be a first car for newbie, as long as the owner has enough information about the 710.
The 705 was my first ever RC car and putting it together was great fun. When I got a little stuck, I asked the good people here and got the answers I needed. Now that I've been running it for about 7-8 months, the driving has improved a lot and I can start to learn more about setup (i.e. now that the car last more than 1 hour without needing a major rebuid due to poor driving )
To this end, I also bought myself last month a Tamiya Surikarn EVO III - comparing the two cars in terms of building, it was pretty much the same.

Manuals can always be improved and I'm sure this is one of Serpent's goals.

Overall, I think the Serpent Manaul is not that "People friendly"......for those like us that raced/owned Serpent the last 4-5 years, it is not a big deal, but if Serpent want to draw ppl from others like HPI or AE, I think a better listed manual (or diagram) is a must...........
I didn't find the manual bad, sometimes, though occasionally a diagram wasn't as clear as it could have been, but asking here always got my answer

Cheers, Mark.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by markp27
I didn't find the manual bad, sometimes, though occasionally a diagram wasn't as clear as it could have been, but asking here always got my answer

Cheers, Mark.
Agreed............and I just hope Serpent is not just improving the car itself and ignored the important of the manual, if every Serpent owner are Initial D or ammdrew, then all Serpent need to do on the manual are BEFORE and AFTER pictures of the 710 in 2 pages....LOL (I am sure they can build the 705 from scratch with their eye closed and use only 1 hand while chatting on the internet.........)
Old 11-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Fuel tank

Originally posted by InitialD
Maybe engine gurus like Dennis can confirm this but I read somewhere that you can lower the tank so much to a point when it is lower than the engine carb, then problems with the fuel not being able to be picked up by the carb will arrise. This means engine problems !!

Surely though InitialD if this was the case you would get the same effect as the fuel level drops even in the flagpole tank.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: InitialD 5001 Posts

Originally posted by InitialD
Yeah, how I wish that was true on the track too...
Old Chinese proverb (I think) Better to be the master of one, rather than a jack of all trades.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

It is very interesting to know that serpent acctually considered shaft drive.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Cmon guys.... Can't we just get over it and be happy with the S710? I don't believe people went on like this when Mugen released the MTX3 from the MTX2 Pro Spec?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.