Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by GoldFinger
I use the kyosho ball end, the one that came for MP 7.5 with stock turnbuckle.
But I will replace it with serpent shock lower ball end.

Just lign the ackerman arm to pointing 0 deg. and your EPA diff will not more than 5 point. If you force to lign the horn 90 deg. , you will ended up with 32 point EPA difference and right turning is still can not be maximal .Like I said in my first post regarding this issue.

And you still need to put 1mm spacer in horn linkage, 2mm will touching the belt.
You have picture yes???
Old 12-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by InitialD
Let me get this straight... To get the steering the same left and right, you need to shorten the linkage to 40 mm and then the servo horn at 90 degree to the linkage and not 90 degree to the servo casing?

BTW, what linkage and ball cups did you use? It seems it is quite impossible to get to 40 mm even though you trim the ball cups...
I use a Mugen turnbuckle link (sorry guys, but still like the idee that i can turn it) an shortend it, also i used the standard Serpent ballcups wich i also had to cut a little.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-modded-steeringlink.jpg  
Old 12-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

I had to cut the sides so i didn't need to use a 2mm spacer.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-modded-steeringlink-2.jpg  
Old 12-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Pyramid
S9550 is also flater/shorter by about 1mm from the metal gear (where you put your servo horn) to its mounting ears. Thats why with 2mm spacer in between the horn and plastic ball cup will not touch the belt when turning. I personally think this is the best fit servo for S710.
Pyramid:

Does this 2mm spacer come in the kit? If not were would i get one from?

SN
Old 12-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by S710_Nut
Pyramid:

Does this 2mm spacer come in the kit? If not were would i get one from?

SN
No it doesn't, but you can also use one or more washers for it.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Julius
In theory having a 90 degree angle between link and arm gives equal travel. If you cut the ball cups, you'll need to shorten the thread on the link as well. Otherwise you won't be able to make the link shorter.
So Julius, you have this problem as well for your steering linkage using Sanwa servos? How do you solve it? By setting Your Tx EPA?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both my brother and I could not get the steering servo horn to be completely 90 degree with everything centred... He uses a sanwa VR and i use a VB (the cases are the same right?). We haven't done anything to remedy it and the car sorta steers ok (on the work bench anyway.. the rain never stops!!)

Will this affect travel extensively?

InitialD - i thought we weren't supposed to open these nice new snake bearings?? can't remember where i read it, but isn't there a special oil inside now? Or is that x-ray bearings.. oh dear.. all confused now.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:31 PM

- Try the DRS link in the upper position =helps steer the rear a little more. (you may need the longer upper link position to keep balance out of the turns)
DRS link would then be very very near to the spur gear with lower arm in its highest roll center position. Spur will eventually crushing the DRS link on particular impact.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by pineapplet
We haven't done anything to remedy it and the car sorta steers ok (on the work bench anyway.. the rain never stops!!)
Weather was perfect up here. But certain issues kept me at bay and I'm now sick !!

InitialD - i thought we weren't supposed to open these nice new snake bearings?? can't remember where i read it, but isn't there a special oil inside now? Or is that x-ray bearings.. oh dear.. all confused now.
Stick to driving GP and you'll not be confused !!!

Some kind of oil they have in the bearings... I took the rubber seals out and they were packed with grease ! Cleaned it all out and they rolled much better.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Weather was perfect up here. But certain issues kept me at bay and I'm now sick !!

Stick to driving GP and you'll not be confused !!!

Some kind of oil they have in the bearings... I took the rubber seals out and they were packed with grease ! Cleaned it all out and they rolled much better.
Whereabouts are you located??? I think i seen you in the M'sian thread... I'm down south.. your irritating neighabour.

Found where i read about the bearings before.. from the x-ray site under the EVO 2 features! >>>

"- new XRAY high-speed ball-bearings with special polyamide blue covers, degreased and lightly oiled with AeroShell Fluid 12 oil for maximum smoothness, long life, highest tolerance and maximum performance"

Grease huh? Oh well its not going to romp through dirt like a buggy so i guess i'll leave it greased...
Old 12-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Whereabouts are you located??? I think i seen you in the M'sian thread... I'm down south.. your irritating neighabour.
Yes, I'm your irritating neighbour up north that does not want to give you water and claiming islands that we think it's ours !

Found where i read about the bearings before.. from the x-ray site under the EVO 2 features! >>>
Oh yes, because the EVO 2 comes with the PHQ bearings by default if I'm not mistaken.

Grease huh? Oh well its not going to romp through dirt like a buggy so i guess i'll leave it greased...

Are you making preparations to head to Thailand for the coming race?
Old 12-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I'm your irritating neighbour up north that does not want to give you water and claiming islands that we think it's ours !

Oh yes, because the EVO 2 comes with the PHQ bearings by default if I'm not mistaken.

Are you making preparations to head to Thailand for the coming race?
Heh heh. You guys are damn lucky man... I hear TC races there run up to a 100 entries at times with CASH prizes for all Mains drivers.. *sigh*.. Anyways, I shall be headin up to JB for my first cross-border buggy race in Jan at the Today Hobby track.. Woo hoo!

No Thailand for us though.. the invitations were open but its just logistically (and financially) not viable. There's already such a good lot of drivers going anyway.. nothing i can contribute.

You should see the rush to prep the new cars for the trip though. On the first nite the 710s came in, our friendly LHS guy and his hardcore gang were up till early morning fixing up the first few cars!!!!! Its been nutty down there ever since... half-fixed customers' cars lying around everywhere.. batt packs being soldered and heat shrunk... *whew*

Never seen such a buzz around a new car before. Hopefully it will draw more local drivers into the snake pit around here. The car is only sold by one shop here (which i think you should be familiar with) and it tends to be driven by only a limited gang... The V1s and Mugens are still king of the open race.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Flexi Shock Mount/Rear Gearbox cover

The shocks force is in an up and down movement. They create a pull/push on the tower. Take the car and roll it sdeways like in a corner. You won't see a twist in the tower. That could happen if the tower itself would flex. That is why it is made as thick as it is.
I tried to find for the flexes in the gear box when twisting the rear shock tower. I can't see any problems like the rear gear box flexing after building it. Perhaps I'm mounting it too tight !
Old 12-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Flexi Shock Mount/Rear Gearbox cover

I tried to find for the flexes in the gear box when twisting the rear shock tower. I can't see any problems like the rear gear box flexing after building it. Perhaps I'm mounting it too tight !
You may need to write down a list of questions.. then once you are in thailand and see MS, the first thing you have to do ,.... just give him a list of questions anad ask him to answer ..
Old 12-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

RUBBER TIRES

GUYS, ANYONE OF YOU TRIED RUNNING THE 710 ON RUBBER TIRES? JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE PERFORMANCE OF THE KIT WOULD NOT BE AFFECTED. WE NORMALLY RACE HERE ON RUBBER TIRES SO THE SETTING WOULD BE REALLY DIFFERENT USING RUBBER AND FOAM TIRES. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS...................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.