R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-01-2004, 11:38 PM   #7456
Tech Adept

Well since no one answers my question in the engine forum although it has 53 views I will ask you guys.

"I normally use 30% from powermaster because thats what my LHS carries but now they got some 40% odonnel and I already bought it so what can I expect from going from 30% to 40%. Also how good is this engine I am planning on using it in my new NRS-RR12L5. Or should I stick with the 30% I havent opened it yet so I can always change it."
rodrigo1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 PM   #7457
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rodrigo1508
Well since no one answers my question in the engine forum although it has 53 views I will ask you guys.

"I normally use 30% from powermaster because thats what my LHS carries but now they got some 40% odonnel and I already bought it so what can I expect from going from 30% to 40%. Also how good is this engine I am planning on using it in my new NRS-RR12L5. Or should I stick with the 30% I havent opened it yet so I can always change it."
you will get alot more power with 40% just make sure that you tune the motor to that fuel!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 PM   #7458
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

I would personally stick with what you have. There is no major power gain from going to 40% from 30%. On top of that you would have to treat your engine like a brand new motor for a few tanks until the engine settles itself down on the new mixture. Not doing this can seriously affect the performance of your engine permanently.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:43 PM   #7459
Tech Prophet

Quote:

I would say stick with 30%. No reason to go with 40% nitro. More wear and tear. Of course the car goes faster when tuned right.

With 40%, you need to add 0.1 mm copper shim to the stock 0.3 mm silver aluminum shim.

I can't remember but I read an article of XTreme RC magazine and they were comparing low and high nitro content fuel in terms of laptimes and their engine temperatures. One is when tuned properly and the other is when you do not. I'll dig it out and see.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:45 PM   #7460
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Well relatives came over and I didn't get anything done! I was reading the FAQ page about how Julius describes how to set tweak for the front end only. I just don't quite get it? Could someone explain to me how its done? Explain it like I am a 6 year old.
The reason why Julius came out with this method is people complained that once you assemble the front sway bars, the intended droop settings goes way off. Say if you set it at 0, once you put the sway bar on and play around with the eccentric knob to get both left and right droop the same, you'll end up with both sides at -1 droop.

By following Julius' method, you will not have that problem anymore. Your droop remains at 0 (for example) even without or with the front sway bar connected.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #7461
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

You should just stick with the 30%.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:51 PM   #7462
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I would say stick with 30%. No reason to go with 40% nitro. More wear and tear. Of course the car goes faster when tuned right.

With 40%, you need to add 0.1 mm copper shim to the stock 0.3 mm silver aluminum shim.

I can't remember but I read an article of XTreme RC magazine and they were comparing low and high nitro content fuel in terms of laptimes and their engine temperatures. One is when tuned properly and the other is when you do not. I'll dig it out and see.
You guys were all over that one like flys on pig sh..!!! Listen to Palmaris, He is exactly right about the running in. Any Novarossi motor is destined to be a good motor and the one you have as far as I know is a beast. But I dont think it is race legal as I think it has 5 ports. Essentially what you have to remember is that it is your choice, I run 16% Nitro, and am planing to go to 15% with less oil, But this will be a self mix scenario.

Last edited by BaxterC; 04-02-2004 at 12:00 AM.
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 PM   #7463
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
I would personally stick with what you have. There is no major power gain from going to 40% from 30%.
You will see power gain going from 30% to 40% fuel. Else, Mike Swauger would not have used it ! Of course this accelerates wear and tear too.

Like Marcos mentioned, you just need to tune the engine right with the fuel you are going to use which means going to colder plug or adding shims under the combustion chamber.

But I agree that for weekend to weekend club racing, no point going to 40% at the expense of higher wear and tear.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 PM   #7464
Super Moderator

Quote:
You will see power gain going from 30% to 40% fuel. Else, Mike Swauger would not have used it ! Of course this accelerates wear and tear too.

Like Marcos mentioned, you just need to tune the engine right with the fuel you are going to use which means going to colder plug or adding shims under the combustion chamber.

But I agree that for weekend to weekend club racing, no point going to 40% at the expense of higher wear and tear.
couldnt say it better myself ,Thanks InitialD
Old 04-02-2004, 12:00 AM   #7465
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Add in air temp and humidity variables and Ill prove you wrong. Read back a few pages to the discussion we had on this already. Increasing nitro content only works if you have the temperature to make use of it. If the air temperature drops you can make more power from 20% than you can from 40%. Only reason Mike used 60% in Florida was because it was a real scorcher and the extra nitro became an advantage.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:05 AM   #7466
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Add in air temp and humidity variables and Ill prove you wrong. Read back a few pages to the discussion we had on this already.
Where did we discuss this? When we compare both fuels, we take into account that both fuels would be tested in the environment.

Perhaps Dennis can come in and clarify. Else, i'll just go back and refer to the XTreme RC magazine article.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:06 AM   #7467
Super Moderator

Quote:
Add in air temp and humidity variables and Ill prove you wrong. Read back a few pages to the discussion we had on this already. Increasing nitro content only works if you have the temperature to make use of it. If the air temperature drops you can make more power from 20% than you can from 40%. Only reason Mike used 60% in Florida was because it was a real scorcher and the extra nitro became an advantage.
60% i thought he used 40%!!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #7468
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Slowly the 710 is getting there....

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Didn't consider it - what's the deal on it?

I wanted to go for a Novamega due to the avalability of spares at my LHS - don't think he has JP engines.
I'm going for the JP FX12 with hard coated shaft AND ceramic bearings, it's alot of money ( 398,- at my LHS) but i think it's worth it.
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #7469
Tech Adept

I know that engine its not legal but at my track its a You have to do what ever you can to your car to win kind of thing so it doesnt really matter.
I will go to the hobby shop tomorrow and change it.
Also my LHS doesnt have all the 710 parts yet but they do have all the 705 ones and I was wondering if the wheel hubs from the 705 fit the 710 because I just had a fight with one of them and I won so now I need a new one.
rodrigo1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:09 AM   #7470
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Where did we discuss this? When we compare both fuels, we take into account that both fuels would be tested in the environment.

Perhaps Dennis can come in and clarify. Else, i'll just go back and refer to the XTreme RC magazine article.
It was over the weekend while you were not online.