Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by New_Toasted
Has anyone noticed that the 710 thread now has 710 pages

THERE!

I've staked my claim on the 710th page of the 710- Forum yeah!

Old 04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Pandora's Box
Guys,
Need a lil help.

Just put together a 710. After every run(couple of mins) my clutch end play goes from 0.2 to zero play. It looks like the clutch bell is pushed toward the thrust bearing and then it stays there pressing against the thrust bearing.

When I take a socket wrench and put it over the thrust bearing and slightly tap(toward the engine) the 1st gear pinion only, I get my end play back. Then it happens again.....weird!! My thrust B ain't gonna last.

Could it be that my ball bearing is getting jammed in the 1st gear pinion housing?
Planning to sand the inside of the housing.

Any comments?
You might be right. This happened to me in the past with the 1st gear pinion and since then I've been paranoid, always checking if any of the bearings are not in properly and that after a couple of runs there's not too much dirt anywhere there.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

710 pages is like O M F G!

freaks
Old 04-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Guys,
Need a lil help.

Just put together a 710. After every run(couple of mins) my clutch end play goes from 0.2 to zero play. It looks like the clutch bell is pushed toward the thrust bearing and then it stays there pressing against the thrust bearing.

When I take a socket wrench and put it over the thrust bearing and slightly tap(toward the engine) the 1st gear pinion only, I get my end play back. Then it happens again.....weird!! My thrust B ain't gonna last.

Could it be that my ball bearing is getting jammed in the 1st gear pinion housing?

Any comments?
Check to see if the clutch bell moves back and forth smoothly. I usually insert the bearing into the first gear pinion before screwing onto second gear pinion. You'll find that the bearing goes in and out of first pinion easily.

I'm on the 710th page!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Yes, I think so.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks D,

unless I can find an impulse chassis... looks like I'll have to abandon ship!

Originally posted by InitialD
The receiver pack is the least of the problems... Besides, Impulse uses the common flat receiver pack and you can mount it anywhere under the radio tray as what the Impulse used to do.

The radio tray, the X bar support and the engine mounting needs to be looked into if you want to change the 705 chassis to be used on the Impulse. I'm very sure the engine mounting and the position where the engine is mounted is different on the 705 and the Impulse.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by JustRace
Initial....I found with the filler guage that I get inconsistent measurements. The shim/trust bearing still has a chance to tilt to one side while making the measurement. Have you tried putting in all the shims until the clutch bell is barely tight. Then just remove the amount of gap that you want. Works great.
Justrace, yes if you use ordinary type automative filler gauge, the problems you mentioned can occur.

But the one I use looks like this (pardon the link as I cannot find any pics of it). It acts like a flywheel holder and the graduated slots in the bottom are where you fit the thrust bearing collar to measure the clutch gap. It can measure 0.4 mm clutch gap till 0.9 mm if I'm not mistaken. The way the gauge is made on the wrench by sliding the different thickness over thrust bearing to measure the correct clutch gap, it's the same way as putting as much shims until the clutch bell is barely tight.

But I'll try the method you mention and see if it's any different.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Initial....I found with the filler guage that I get inconsistent measurements. The shim/trust bearing still has a chance to tilt to one side while making the measurement. Have you tried putting in all the shims until the clutch bell is barely tight. Then just remove the amount of gap that you want. Works great.
I think I may try this method as I too find it diffucult getting an accurate reading with the calipers. What is the ideal clutch gap. Is it between 0.7-1.1mm?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Try 0.7mm at first, if you find that it bites too hard, then lower the gap down to 0.5mm and see if that is better for you.
Above 0.8mm you'll probably find the clutch is too agressive.

But at first I would stick to 0.7mm and play around with the pre-tension spring to get the best acceleration out of the corner.

Too much pre-tension and your engine will rev too high before the clutch engages, too little and the engine will bog down.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Check to see if the clutch bell moves back and forth smoothly. I usually insert the bearing into the first gear pinion before screwing onto second gear pinion. You'll find that the bearing goes in and out of first pinion easily.

I'm on the 710th page!!!
Note that the thrust bearing races are not the same size, and the largest one goes on closest to the engine. Also check to be sure you have the spacer between the bearings. I wouldn't sand anything unless I found a burr or something. These parts normally fit well.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by InitialD
Justrace, yes if you use ordinary type automative filler gauge, the problems you mentioned can occur.

But the one I use looks like this (pardon the link as I cannot find any pics of it). It acts like a flywheel holder and the graduated slots in the bottom are where you fit the thrust bearing collar to measure the clutch gap. It can measure 0.4 mm clutch gap till 0.9 mm if I'm not mistaken. The way the gauge is made on the wrench by sliding the different thickness over thrust bearing to measure the correct clutch gap, it's the same way as putting as much shims until the clutch bell is barely tight.

But I'll try the method you mention and see if it's any different.
Initial...Please try both ways and tell us what you come up with. Hopefully it's the same so I can save $19
Old 04-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Initial...Please try both ways and tell us what you come up with. Hopefully it's the same so I can save $19
Hey, don't be so cheap - I want my pit monkey to have the best equipment for next years winternats
Old 04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

i am just writing to get on page 710!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by markp27
Hey, don't be so cheap - I want my pit monkey to have the best equipment for next years winternats
Mark..oops...Hey if I'm the pit monkey then you buy the tool boss!!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by joemugen
i am just writing to get on page 710!!!
Joe...at least change the nick to JoeSerpent before posting on the 710th page See you this weekend. Oh..can I borrow the JP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.