Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 02:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering Linkage Pic 2

Originally posted by Julius
It is sometimes the problem with forums that someone detects a "problem" and it starts to lead a life of its own.

If you want to change things to the car that is fine. But don't create problems when there isn't one
Oopphs, I think I'm guilty of this one.

I thought I mentioned that it is more a matter of preference that you make the shocks more straight...

Perhaps if I post less, people will remember better and replies wouldn't get lost so easily !
Old 12-24-2003, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 13

Originally posted by InitialD
.... The car is super light in stock form ! Unbelievable.
Have you weighted the car D? How light is it?
Old 12-24-2003, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 17

Well, you're too kind ! Thanks.

So you're saying I should keep it in a rotating glass casing with spot lights around it?

Well, keeping it in a rotating glass case would be a good idea if you intent to give it to me to test the car in its best possible form...

As for spotlights, not a bad idea if you plan to join those racing around at night in KL!
Old 12-24-2003, 05:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 13

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Have you weighted the car D? How light is it?
I have not weight it yet. No way wife is going to given in those scales to me !

I think Goldfinger mentioned that it was 1670 grams race ready with personal transponder, body and without fuel.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Default Steering link

Ok, let me try to explain the steering link issue. I've used the picture of Rookie Solara to clarify. I hope you don't mind. One thing to remark is that the angle of the link is a lot steeper than in this drawing. So the 90 degree to the link position of the arm is a lot more forward.

At first look it would seem obvious that the link and arm need to be at 90 degrees. That "looks right".

The reality is different. It is not the link that defines the movement. It's the realtionship of the arm and the servo saver. The link could be a wire tied in a knot or shaped like a "Z" it would not make a difference.

The servo saver moves in a horizontal plane. So ideally the servo arm should move horizontally as well. Unfortunately sevos have no horizontally moving output but a rotating one. So we need an arm. To get left and right movement the same the arm needs to displace itself in both directions the same amount in relation to the movement of the servo saver. This means the horizontal movement is the most impoertant part.

Also you will notice the arm on the servo saver in the neutral position is at a 90 degree angle to the link. That means it you turn left and right the movement (forward and aft, but also left right circular movement) is the same).

So, now look at the picture again. If you align the lever at 90 degrees to the link and turn. If you rotate the arm forward (counterclockwise) you will have a little forward and then (because it is a circular motion) a lot of downward motion. If you turn clockwise, the ball will move sideways mostly and a little up and then down. So in this way both sides have different motions.

If you look at the picture where the arm is vertical in the neutral position you will get the same movement in both sides (horizontal and down).
Old 12-24-2003, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

One last thing.

In the picture of D's car I noticed that the ball Is shimmed outwards. This changes the angle of the link to the saver and means you may create unevenness left and right that way, which needs to be corrected ssomewhere else. If I compare it to my car (which uses a Sanwa steering servo) It seems the ball is a lot more to the middel of the car (even when I put my steering arm in the same position).

In the end it all comes down to: If you get left and right the same steering with epa settings within 10 point you'll be allright!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Julius.........the reason I created this diagram is for you (and others) to explain the full detail with at least a little picture so dumb ass like me could understand it more...please, if you find me helpfull and want me to create some quick diagram, please let me know.......(btw, what department should I send the drafting bill to..? Serpent USA or Serpent HQ in Europe..? For real....another 710 as a reward is fine for me....J/K)
Old 12-24-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default Our Weapons!

Ha!! Here are our (mine and Pineapplet's) machines for next seasons' battles!!

They look and feel good....haven't ran them yet due to terribly wet weather last week!

Old 12-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Where can I find one?

My girlfreind just called me and said she was getting a 710 for me for Christmas but has not found one after two days of calling all over. Does anyone know where I can order one? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Julius
In the end it all comes down to: If you get left and right the same steering with epa settings within 10 point you'll be allright!
True. But I think not just that needs to be achieved. The steering left and right must not be binding too.

The reason why the shim of 0.5 mm was introduced was because it seemed like the link could rub on the front belt at certain steering positions.

Secondly, when turning right (servo horn pulls backwards towards the tank / clockwise), the linkage ballcup can bind against the servo arm at the furthermost end point of the servo. Shortening the linkage rod and the ballcups enables the servo arm to be moved forward and when the servo arm moves towards the tank to make the right steering, the ballcups will not be at the end position where it will rub against the servo arm.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Our Weapons!

Originally posted by raygun
Ha!! Here are our (mine and Pineapplet's) machines for next seasons' battles!!

They look and feel good....haven't ran them yet due to terribly wet weather last week!

Cool. Hope you guys remember to put some foam tires on and don't forget a pipe and a side belt for the other car before you guys go for battle ! (j/k)
Old 12-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Our Weapons!

Cool. Hope you guys remember to put some foam tires on and don't forget a pipe and a side belt for the other car before you guys go for battle ! (j/k)
... and an engine too!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Merry Christmas 710 Owners!

I hope Santa has bought me what i want for Chrissy
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: Where can I find one?

Originally posted by Impulse_racer
My girlfreind just called me and said she was getting a 710 for me for Christmas but has not found one after two days of calling all over. Does anyone know where I can order one? Thanks in advance.
my bro just ordered two from fastnfurious-rc.com.
pretty descent price also @ $359.95 each.
shipping sucks because they charged $40 for both of them.

ebay has them also. one guy selling the kits for $399.... and the other one is selling them for $368 + $12 shipping!

good luck
Old 12-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey you guys who got your snakes already.... does the kit come with a battery pack??? if not, where did you get yours and what's the best deal out there??

thanks a lot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.