HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

yes the open belt design is prone to small rocks and other debris, but that is why HPI recomends only running the car on a groomed track or blown/swept parking lot.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Initiate

But there is always possibility of having small stones if the track is surrounded by grass areas. What about closing the openings under the belt with a sticker or a harder thin plastic?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

I think stones get flicked up by the tires and deflect off the body shell and fall into the chassis, doesn't matter how clean and groomed the track is I always manage to get a stone jammed in the most annoying and damaging places. its always a stone that has been flicked on the track by a novice that has pulled it off the grass banking.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

This problem was beat to death on the old HPI forums. Hesky is correct, the rocks get thrown up by the tires. Usually the holes in the chassis allow the rocks to fall back through. Usually the cars stops suddenly when a big enough rock gets into the belts. When this happens, stop. Don't gun the throttle to try and force it forwards. Walk to the car and gently roll it backwards a few inches, then foward. You might have to go back and forth a few times. If its really stuck you might need a probe or small screwdriver to dislidge the rock. I stopped shreading belts when I stayed away from parking lots with decaying asphalt. If your local track uses a lot with a surface like that, your only solution is to keep 2 or 3 extra belts and extra pulley gears with you. I also try to check my all my gears between heats because sometimes crud or pebbles get lodged in between the teeth of the gears.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ended up CA gluing a piece of lexan to the underside of my Pro 4, under the Spur. Not sure how you would do it, but you could shield it basically the same way...shoe goo perhaps...
Old 08-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

just wondering if anyone has changed from the stock cluth....the 4 piece with a spring holding them to like a one piece clutch?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thisisagame24
just wondering if anyone has changed from the stock cluth....the 4 piece with a spring holding them to like a one piece clutch?

Those are the clutch weights, not the clutch shoe. The clutch shoe is one piece. I have heard of people running without the spring. You might need a harder clutch spring because the weights will push harder on the shoe causing the clutch to engage earlier.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Which reminds me I have my solid rear axle on the way. Im thinking on testing it out. Not sure though still trying to get used to driving the one-way. Which seems to work for me , even with a tight track layout.

One cool thing I notice with the one-way if you leave like a real light light throttle on , rather than fully getting off it to take a turn. Your car will just curve through the turn like it was off gas but keeps it speed up.
Wow that was fast its already here. 1 day shipping. LOL. Guess Ill be able to test this thing out this month.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hey Regg are you gearing up for Ohio today? I'll be at floyd doing some runs with the R40 and the 8th.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ontheroad
Because i heard that the rear belt of r40 wears quickly.
I don't know it is true but i only heard.
I dunno about quickly. But at the state champs last weekend I ripped all of the teeth off my rear belt. It was around 6 months old so thats not too bad. The grip was insanely high and I had my clutch set very high so I suspect that was something to do with it.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
This problem was beat to death on the old HPI forums. Hesky is correct, the rocks get thrown up by the tires. Usually the holes in the chassis allow the rocks to fall back through. Usually the cars stops suddenly when a big enough rock gets into the belts. When this happens, stop. Don't gun the throttle to try and force it forwards. Walk to the car and gently roll it backwards a few inches, then foward. You might have to go back and forth a few times. If its really stuck you might need a probe or small screwdriver to dislidge the rock. I stopped shreading belts when I stayed away from parking lots with decaying asphalt. If your local track uses a lot with a surface like that, your only solution is to keep 2 or 3 extra belts and extra pulley gears with you. I also try to check my all my gears between heats because sometimes crud or pebbles get lodged in between the teeth of the gears.
Yeah this idea seems smart. But is there any openings other than the lower chassis?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Just ran my car on track to try out the mugen grey shoe and slightly harder than stock gold spring, it makes a night and day difference!!! I can only imagine it will improve further when it seats itself into the clutch bell face! I really cant see how people can get a half decent clutch setup with the stock black hpi shoe!!
Starting to realise how vicious this d5r motor is, as before when it got into the powerband the clutch would slip, now it lights up the foam tires and makes it almost uncontrollable!
I'm thinking the red shoes with the silver spring and jp clutch bell i have will be overkill!

hey john just a note, I tried to slip the mugen shoe on the kit flywheel, but as expected it didnt fit. I was about to ream the shoe but just b4 I tried it on a spare new r40 flywheel and the mugen shoes slip straight on with no interference.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Hey Regg are you gearing up for Ohio today? I'll be at floyd doing some runs with the R40 and the 8th.

have fun at floyyd my R40 is down for the moment waiting on a new motor, my MT12 is having issues. OHIO??? You lost me on that one.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hesky
hey john just a note, I tried to slip the mugen shoe on the kit flywheel, but as expected it didnt fit. I was about to ream the shoe but just b4 I tried it on a spare new r40 flywheel and the mugen shoes slip straight on with no interference.

Huh? OK - I'll stop by the hobby shop tonight and pull some new parts off the shelf and see if maybe I have a "defective" HPI flywheel. - Thanks for the heads-up Hesky.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Had another spending spree. Got the hpi universal pinion wrench. I figured I had no other way of really getting it on there and its what reccomended so...went ahead and dropped the money on it.

Then got some twister tires on the way. I want to test these against my jaco nitro shoes. Then im going to test the new 2stage "wraps" from jaco. Im going to paypal my lhs the funds and pick that stuff up tommorrow.

Im also planning on getting a bunch more sets of foams so Ill let you know what I think of them and whats the best price and so forth cause that kinda stuff is important to me.

Also finalizing the weight list. I weighed quite a few things , also found a few lw items that im going to keep to myself (gotta stay ahead a little). But yeah you guys would be jealous of this one I found. Drops 4 grams off the car , costed 5 dollars and its connected to the drivetrain and suspension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.