Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks, I already know that...

I just want someone to confirm that in that scenario you would richen or lean the low end.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WeatherB
Thanks, I already know that...

I just want someone to confirm that in that scenario you would richen or lean the low end.
Well I know I had the issue and I forget what exactly fixed it. But the basics say richening will fix it, if its at least correctly tuned. If you say it fixed it, then im pretty confident thats the route I went as well.

Just wanted to give all the info I could think of.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, but the weird thing is that I remember before leaning it would fix the problem. So i'm confused.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have had the same issue and found that it wasn't the mixture but the actual barrel in the carby sticking slightly on return. i fixed this by making sure the servo arm pulls the carby in a dead straight line. The barrels are a very tight tolerance to get a good seal, so any side ways pulling can cause the barrel to jam slightly when returning to idle. You may have to trim the radio plate to get a perfect straight line, and also took the barrel out to take off any sharpe edges that were getting caught. By doing these two things the carby now returns to perfect idle each time.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Got the answer from rcnitro:

If the engine spools down and rpm drops uncharacteristically low, it indicates that the low-speed-mixture setting is too rich. Or, if the engine takes too long to reach a steady idle and seems to want to keep revving, that tells you the low-speed-mixture setting is too lean.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by athrun
At the beginning of the year my son was running r40 2004 edition.He had so much trouble with the rear being loose that he switched back to his MTX3.
We tried everything to make the r40 work.Now i have decided to run in the novice class.Can someone give me some help on making this car work.It seems that when the rear diff gets warm that it loses its diff action.The rear diff has light grease.Seems if you soften the rear of the care to add grip it gets loser.I'm totally lost and need help.Thanks guys.

When you say rear is loose -- is this "on-power" or "off-power"?
Take all four shocks off and verify all suspensions arms drop freely. Also, start with > 3 - 4 mm of "up-travel" on front and rear. On a bumpy track, you will need a lot of travel in your suspension to handle the bumps. I have seen similar problems when I dial out travel to minimize suspension roll.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

hey, quick engine tuning questions...

When I return to idle from going full speed the idle is too high and after about 2 seconds it returns back to normal. Does that mean low end is too lean or too rich?

I always thought it meant that the low end was too rich, but I had to richen the low end to fix the problem.
If the motor carrys high RPM after it has a burst of WOT it means that the bottom end is lean usually. There are some other possibilities to do with plugs and hot spots on the combustion chamber but always try richening slightly first like you did. If it does not go away then you need to look a little harder.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks, but the weird thing is that I remember before leaning it would fix the problem. So i'm confused.
You know thats odd cause I kinda feel like some situations it might be different as well. Maybe in some rare instances it could be the opposite.

Thats why when I tune sometimes I try the richer and leaner from the base point...unless im up in temp.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

exactly...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Latest version of the R40 ??

WHat is the latest version of the R40 with all the hop-ups and where can you get it ?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

I think thats the 2004 Hara edition R40. i think its only available in asia. i got mine in singapore.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Do you have a web site from where you got yours ?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com

I got both my 2004 kits from jet hobbies....but they are not resomding to emails......I might sell one of the kits...if interested,PM me.....350,shipped to the US...
Old 06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Great I got it to work finally!

I finally got to view some new setup sheets from japan drivers. Dated 8.8.2004 for the latest from Akira Ema.

If you want you can try to view them direct (it might work): http://hpiracing.co.jp/contents/setup/pdf/ema040808.pdf

Otherwise, Ill post them up in jpg form later tonight for those who want to try it out.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

thank you for helping me with my clutch setup and this past weekend during the 3rd heat I hit the wall (board) and cleanly broke my right front drive axle. No twist marks just a clean break. Has anybody had that happen to them before??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.