Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Joaquin,

Just a question ... in your opinion, which would be the ideal way to manage this class in the future ?, as you pointed out, there is such fine line between SPEC and OPEN.

This class its very fun and competitive, at a fraction of the cost that the 1/10 nitro or 1/8 nitro onroad classes ask to be competitive.

Now, on engine department, how you see it ?. 90% of the GT guys race with .21 offroad engines, that even when using high end ones, are very cheap compared to .21 1/8 onroad engines, and as far as i know faster guys at event were using onroad engines ... this lead me to think ... GT Class will stay low budget racing or will slowly start to turn into high end pockets racing ?

Hope to see more international events for this class of racing, cya !
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Great time on Homestead

Whow ! We never race an event like this before, the racers, the people, Doug, Jeff, The Buba Cola from Chicago, Roniel , the Joaquin's; events like this, is the events that everybody likes to repeted, special thanks to Doug, is the first time I heard my name saveral times in a qualification ( well, my son's name is the same, Ivan ), and Jeff, lo hicistes, La primera mundial de la categoria GT , fuimos parte de ella.. (I'm telling Jeff that he made the first worldchampionship in GT classs, and we were part of it )[B]. Imagine the next championship in Mexico...We can't wait..

THANKS for the memories..from Ivan and Ivan Jr. from Puerto Rico
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Joaquin,

Just a question ... in your opinion, which would be the ideal way to manage this class in the future ?, as you pointed out, there is such fine line between SPEC and OPEN.

You guys are forgetting one thing.. All the guys from mexico ran STOCK Inferno GT with OS .21 motors, JUST THAT and belive me Just because David had a mechanical problem (1srt gear lost) we don't have a great Racing of a Expensive car vs a real stock car, Heck are you forgetting who had the pole and what car it was ? That don't means nothing to you guys ?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can some please lable the cars to the drivers in Gt1 I just want to be sure what type of cars were on the podium, Thanks.

Oh and also the other classes for the podium guys.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm interested in putting my DM1 on a diet, could any of you who did so for the event PM me with where you sourced your parts from?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Arboleda
I'm interested in putting my DM1 on a diet, could any of you who did so for the event PM me with where you sourced your parts from?
Go to maxvelocityracing.com has some carbon parts that will get you going great. Another thing you can do and is very simple is to change from NiMh to Lipo as receiver pack. This will also shave a few grams. Look into Titanium turnbuckles (I don't know the measurements but I know that there is no complete kit available). You can also use some aluminum screws in places were no much stress is placed on screws, Team Associated has all sizes in metric and standard sizes available. Or you can go the stailess steel way with a few manucafturers that sell complete kits. I was told that the kit for a Mugen buggy has all the right sizes and a few spare ones. The diff outdrives can be changed to lightweight ones from OFNA as well as the diff pins (this last one I haven't even tried it yet). The list goes on and on. Hope this helps you...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

I had a few more pictures e-mailed to me from the Ipanema WC.

Picture 1 is looking into the covered pit area from the promenade walkway.

Picture 2 was taken from inside the covered pits. The people in the bright yellow shirts are from Mexico.

Picture 3 is showing the World Champions (Campeon Mundial) . Paul Roberts on the left is World Champion for Spec GT2 and Joaquin de Soto Jr. on the right is World Champion for Open GT1.
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-img_0459.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-img_0463.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-img_0480.jpg  
Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Talking Wabash wheels question for GT tires

Will these wheels work with GT tires?

http://www.carttonic.com/catalog/index.php?file=catalog&action=catalog_productimage view&image_name=pro267104.jpg&uid=466
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
One more thing, all the guys that I met at this event were the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. I got a chance to put a face to Jneg's screen name, a really great guy. I finally got a chance to see David Ortiz and I will say he lived up to his billing. That guy can drive a GT car!!!! Gary was great and very helpful and Amanda was great and a trip (in a very good way). I got a chance to put a face to 1speedy; great guy that knows his stuff concerning GT cars. It was a pleasure to meet Mike Lyday and his group, another nice group of guys.

I have two more big thanks to give: first one goes to Fritz. He ended up bailing me out several times with the small parts to fix my car that I did not have in my stash. The biggest thanks goes to Richey who not only pitted for me in the B-main but hung around to pit for me in the A-main after his day was over. In fact, without him, I may not have made it to the bump-up spot to make the A-main.

I can't wait to bump lexan with all these guys again. The group that assembled to race the GT World Championships exemplifies why I love racing r/c cars.
J you did a great job getting to the A main. If I couldn't race against you, I was happy to help you out. Sorry I couldn't be more help with the mechanical issues, you were having a great race.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

I guess that if you find a unmounted tire they should work. I would recommend that you get mounted Ipanemas and if you want then buy those rims with scale tires just for show.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The pics are great but did anyone record the race. I would like to get in on this class. I have seen them in action but they where slow. I am dying to see this race. I'm sure those pro drivers had a better set up. Some one please post a link.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdesoto
Let's set the story straight:

Winning cars

Spec
low cost engine but an expensive car with many lightweight parts, under 7 lbs

Open
low cost stock DM1 with a Novarossi 35plus ($550), weight 8.7 lbs

Which is the spec and which is open?

Paul is promoting his products and we are promoting our engines. He drove a great race and should be praised. His products look and work great. We will have them on our car at the next race. Joaquin also drove a great race and deserves credit without an asterisk about his engine's price. Nova engines cost more but they last longer and perform better.

GT racing is a great class and we (Desoto Racing - Novarossi, Serpent...) will work to promote the class, put on great events and increase awareness. The winners did a great job of assembling, tuning, driving... Congrats to everyone that attended the event and lets work together to promote the class.
I can assume by your user name that you're his father. Nothing I posted was to take anything away from your son or from Novarossi. It was to give credit to everyone else who contributed to, or did well in the event. Your son, who turned in a great performance, had ample and EXCLUSIVE promotion in the press release that was published on RedRC, to the exclusion of the event organizers and the the other drivers who also turned in spectacular performances in the spec class like Paul Roberts, who won the Spec class, David Ortiz who TQed the class, Omar Horta who finished second and Victor Babani (score one for us old guys) who took the final spot on the podium. Victor is one of the biggest dealers in the world for GT cars and runs a very successful program in Mexico, and he brought a bunch of his crew to support this event, all sporting custom-made shirts for Team Mexico. All of these details were left out of the press release that was sent to RedRC. I'll assume that you provided the information or possibly sent the press release yourself given how one-sided it was. This event, however, is larger than you and your son, so it's fitting that a number of other people enjoy some recognition for their accomplishments. My post was to draw attention to these people that were left out of the RedRC story - to "set the story straight" as you implied.

As I understand it, Paul put his graphite shock towers and radio plate on his car. Not exactly a high-dollar machine. That wasn't to take credit away from your son, but to point out what a significant accomplishment it is to go faster than the open class winner, with less engine. I can't help that you read it that way and perhaps you're being a little cynical or selfish. I imagine how the press release would have read if your son did the exact same thing. The bottom line is, he got ample credit for his accomplishments on RedRC, I was simply giving recognition to everyone else that was left out of that story. It's that simple. Congrats to both of you for your victory, and to all the other drivers who did well and had fun. But most of all, congrats to Jeff and Doug for pulling off a great event with a skeleton crew.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Joaquin,

This class its very fun and competitive, at a fraction of the cost that the 1/10 nitro or 1/8 nitro onroad classes ask to be competitive.

Now, on engine department, how you see it ?. 90% of the GT guys race with .21 offroad engines, that even when using high end ones, are very cheap compared to .21 1/8 onroad engines, and as far as i know faster guys at event were using onroad engines ... this lead me to think ... GT Class will stay low budget racing or will slowly start to turn into high end pockets racing ?

Hope to see more international events for this class of racing, cya !
I would be in favor of a more reasonable limit on engines even in the open class. It stands to reason that you wouldn't really want to encourage the use of $600 to $800 engines when the cars are only $400 to $500. With the limited staff, I'm sure it was all that Jeff could do to leave it open and avoid having to tech the cars, but perhaps future events can change. As soon as the pro racers and teams become involved, the life and death of the class usually happens much quicker. I'd like to see it stay around for a while and learn from our (the entire hobby) past mistakes.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveP
I can assume by your user name that you're his father. Nothing I posted was to take anything away from your son or from Novarossi. It was to give credit to everyone else who contributed to, or did well in the event. Your son, who turned in a great performance, had ample and EXCLUSIVE promotion in the press release that was published on RedRC, to the exclusion of the event organizers and the the other drivers who also turned in spectacular performances in the spec class like Paul Roberts, who won the Spec class, David Ortiz who TQed the class, Omar Horta who finished second and Victor Babani (score one for us old guys) who took the final spot on the podium. Victor is one of the biggest dealers in the world for GT cars and runs a very successful program in Mexico, and he brought a bunch of his crew to support this event, all sporting custom-made shirts for Team Mexico. All of these details were left out of the press release that was sent to RedRC. I'll assume that you provided the information or possibly sent the press release yourself given how one-sided it was. This event, however, is larger than you and your son, so it's fitting that a number of other people enjoy some recognition for their accomplishments. My post was to draw attention to these people that were left out of the RedRC story - to "set the story straight" as you implied.

As I understand it, Paul put his graphite shock towers and radio plate on his car. Not exactly a high-dollar machine. That wasn't to take credit away from your son, but to point out what a significant accomplishment it is to go faster than the open class winner, with less engine. I can't help that you read it that way and perhaps you're being a little cynical or selfish. I imagine how the press release would have read if your son did the exact same thing. The bottom line is, he got ample credit for his accomplishments on RedRC, I was simply giving recognition to everyone else that was left out of that story. It's that simple. Congrats to both of you for your victory, and to all the other drivers who did well and had fun. But most of all, congrats to Jeff and Doug for pulling off a great event with a skeleton crew.

Hat's off to you Steve.. let's keep the story straight, no mention at all in redrc about drivers from Chile, Peru, Mexico who made an important effort and economic spending to be there.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Exclamation GT2 Radial Tires on Spoke/Mesh Wheels

Need help.

Hoping someone on our thread can provide me an online store in the US that sells pre-mounts or not; radial tires with mesh or spoked wheels.

Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.