Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Default Thanks from Homestead Raceway

The Homestead Raceway Staff hopes everyone who attended the Ipanema Sports 1/8 GT World Championship had a good time and enjoyed our facility. We sure enjoyed having all of the racers, pit people, family and friends at our facility. We tried not to disappoint you.

We hope you will be able to come back and race with us again very soon and if you had a good time please tell your friends to come along and race at Homestead Raceway where you made history March 19-21, 2010.

Below is a photo by Mike Myers, from Starting Grid Magazine, that we hope will give you fond memories of Homestead Raceway!
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-mm3_0047.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doug M
The Homestead Raceway Staff hopes everyone who attended the Ipanema Sports 1/8 GT World Championship had a good time and enjoyed our facility. We sure enjoyed having all of the racers, pit people, family and friends at our facility. We tried not to disappoint you.

We hope you will be able to come back and race with us again very soon and if you had a good time please tell your friends to come along and race at Homestead Raceway where you made history March 19-21, 2010.

Below is a photo by Mike Myers, from Starting Grid Magazine, that we hope will give you fond memories of Homestead Raceway!
Thanks doug you and your staff did a great job!
I would also like to thank Jeff for organizing such an awesome event
and Paul with maxvelocity racing for helping out my son Kyle and myself.
Also would like to thank gary and amanda you guys are great see you
at ronnies.Thanks Mike lyday for loaning my son your step stool and I
almost forgot Ryan from Byrons Fuels for pitting kyle and I.
We had a great time! thanks to everybody involved. thanks Jeff Green

Last edited by jgreen; 03-22-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Which motor did Paul Roberts run in the spec class?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Which motor did Paul Roberts run in the spec class?
ofna force 28!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Rookie

congratulation to all winners and staff congratulation to jeff that is putting our gt class on top i couldt goo because we have some personal problems but hope to see you on the 2011 world championship.

joan lopez
Dominican Republic
Old 03-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

A short article and picture is appearing on Red RC about the GT WC at Homestead.

http://www.redrc.net/2010/03/joaquin...orlds/#respond
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

.. and nothing about the stock class

Looking at the photo it looks like Kyosho Ferrari's were 2nd and 3rd in the Open class ??
Old 03-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Something that was missed in the story on RedRC is credit to Paul Roberts who, running in the spec class, turned in the best performance of the event even when compared to the open class cars. It's quite impressive that he was able to run faster than the winning open-class car, which was using an $700 Novarossi on-road engine. Paul installed the fresh engine from his RTR open-class car (which runs about $150 in stores) with the engine in his GT2, and turned in the fastest lap by 4 tenths, which is an outstanding accomplishment and a testament that big-dollar machines aren't really necessary. Congrats to Paul for a decisive win on the more hotly contested Spec class against the very talented David Ortiz of Mexico. These two drivers will probably be the race to watch at any future event.

Props for the insane amount of work that Jeff from Ipanema put into this event. He didn't have the help of a local club to get extra hands on deck to run the event, which I'm sure makes the task even more challenging. I'm sure Doug was a lifesaver to have on-board to run the races. I wish I could have been there to help, because I know Jeff would have loved to run his own car. We talked for nearly two years about this event, and much of it was Jeff's ideas on how he could make his car work better. We're both GT geeks and I'm sure it's a disappointment to Jeff that he didn't get to run with everyone at the track, but he was more dedicated to running a good event for everyone else. From what I hear, the event went very smoothly and everyone had a good time. So mad credit to Jeff for parking his car and pulling off a great event, and to Doug too for his contributions.

I look forward to this class growing even larger in the future. It's my favorite class right now and, resources allowing, I'll certainly be part of any future event.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Thanks a lot Steve for sharing this. Very interesting.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

I know Rino Lino who races locally at Homestead Raceway came out on Thursday to check out the GT cars. On Friday he went to a local shop and bought an OFNA DM1 ready to run. He upgraded the brakes, changed the servos and receiver to the brand he uses and trusts.

Later that same day he came to the track and started to dial the car in during practice. As he became more familiar with the car and by making chassis adjustments the car got better.

On Saturday he was doing the same in qualifying and the car was getting faster and easier to drive.

On Sunday he put it altogether and qualified seventh for the Spec GT2 A Final.

He drove a smart clean race in the Main. He and Victor Babani had a great race challenging each other for 3rd and 4th during the race. Rino finished 4th at this very competitive event.

Not a bad result for buying a ready to run, using the stock pull chord 28 engine it came with and using all stock parts with the exception of the optional brakes.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Sorry, double post, deleted.

Last edited by Doug M; 03-23-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: double post
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rino Brought the car at our store. www.hobbysuperstore.com He brought it Friday morning, he know nothing about the car, I'm glade he did good at the race, maybe next time I should do the same
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Thanks to Jspeed and Ipanema for putting on a great event!!! I had a blast!!! I ended up recovering very well after tanking in open practice on Friday. I held my own in the A-main for a while until glowplug issues knocked me out for much of the last 25 minutes of the race. I will tip my hat to my Latin brothers from Mexico, Puerto Rico, and South America; those guys are damn good drivers and if you did not bring your A-game, they left you in the dust.

I would like to thank Gary for loaning and eventually giving me a pipe so that my car would run at its optimal best. I would also like to thank Paul of Maxvelocity for loaning me a pipe/header as well to replace the one on my IGT1 spec car (which I eventually ran for the rest of the race and the mains). Thanks to Doug M (if he was the race mgr/announcer) for calling a great event. Big thanks to Ryan from Byron Fuels for supplying us great fuel (which I also use for my other nitro cars since 2005). Thanks to Ipanema for supplying the best tires for this event. Thanks to the Homestead group for providing a top notch facility that well organized and clean from start to finish. Last, but not least, big thanks to Jeff Vargas for organizing and presenting this big event!!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

One more thing, all the guys that I met at this event were the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. I got a chance to put a face to Jneg's screen name, a really great guy. I finally got a chance to see David Ortiz and I will say he lived up to his billing. That guy can drive a GT car!!!! Gary was great and very helpful and Amanda was great and a trip (in a very good way). I got a chance to put a face to 1speedy; great guy that knows his stuff concerning GT cars. It was a pleasure to meet Mike Lyday and his group, another nice group of guys.

I have two more big thanks to give: first one goes to Fritz. He ended up bailing me out several times with the small parts to fix my car that I did not have in my stash. The biggest thanks goes to Richey who not only pitted for me in the B-main but hung around to pit for me in the A-main after his day was over. In fact, without him, I may not have made it to the bump-up spot to make the A-main.

I can't wait to bump lexan with all these guys again. The group that assembled to race the GT World Championships exemplifies why I love racing r/c cars.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveP
Something that was missed in the story on RedRC is credit to Paul Roberts who, running in the spec class, turned in the best performance of the event even when compared to the open class cars. It's quite impressive that he was able to run faster than the winning open-class car, which was using an $700 Novarossi on-road engine. Paul installed the fresh engine from his RTR open-class car (which runs about $150 in stores) with the engine in his GT2, and turned in the fastest lap by 4 tenths, which is an outstanding accomplishment and a testament that big-dollar machines aren't really necessary. Congrats to Paul for a decisive win on the more hotly contested Spec class against the very talented David Ortiz of Mexico. These two drivers will probably be the race to watch at any future event.

Props for the insane amount of work that Jeff from Ipanema put into this event. He didn't have the help of a local club to get extra hands on deck to run the event, which I'm sure makes the task even more challenging. I'm sure Doug was a lifesaver to have on-board to run the races. I wish I could have been there to help, because I know Jeff would have loved to run his own car. We talked for nearly two years about this event, and much of it was Jeff's ideas on how he could make his car work better. We're both GT geeks and I'm sure it's a disappointment to Jeff that he didn't get to run with everyone at the track, but he was more dedicated to running a good event for everyone else. From what I hear, the event went very smoothly and everyone had a good time. So mad credit to Jeff for parking his car and pulling off a great event, and to Doug too for his contributions.

I look forward to this class growing even larger in the future. It's my favorite class right now and, resources allowing, I'll certainly be part of any future event.
Let's set the story straight:

Winning cars

Spec
low cost engine but an expensive car with many lightweight parts, under 7 lbs

Open
low cost stock DM1 with a Novarossi 35plus ($550), weight 8.7 lbs

Which is the spec and which is open?

Paul is promoting his products and we are promoting our engines. He drove a great race and should be praised. His products look and work great. We will have them on our car at the next race. Joaquin also drove a great race and deserves credit without an asterisk about his engine's price. Nova engines cost more but they last longer and perform better.

GT racing is a great class and we (Desoto Racing - Novarossi, Serpent...) will work to promote the class, put on great events and increase awareness. The winners did a great job of assembling, tuning, driving... Congrats to everyone that attended the event and lets work together to promote the class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.