Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
2 things to think about:

A. Kyosho only offers the IGT1 on the Ferrari anymore and they may not do it forever, so eventually they'll be none in the Spec class.

B. The IGT2's length is not hardly a big deal, it has the same width too.

Anyone care to chime in on the weight, width & overall length of the 1/7 scale chassis?
Here are the specs you are asking about.....

Wheel base - 380mm
track width ft - 305
Track width Rear - 307
Weight (without body, 5 cell Nicd receiver pack, and 125cc of fuel) - 3692 gr
weight including body (without 5 cell Nicd receiver pack, and 125cc of fuel) - 4025gr

These figures are from the car that I ran at Homestead Race #1, not from some website.

Hope this helps you Sir....
Old 11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLock
Jspeed,

Barry (Bvoltz) allowed the IGT2 to race with the IGT1 at his Bass Pro Series races this year and no one had a problem with it. In fact, we found out that the IGT2 has better turn-in and cornering speed than the IGT1. The win I got over at Bvoltz' Big Chill race two weeks ago, the two cars I had to fight off for the win were IGT2 (I raced my IGT1). So, in my opinion, running the IGT/IGT2 together is not a problem.
Juan,
Gulf Coast RC is having a race Nov. 22nd, Saturday night, do you think you will make the trip down to Houston? Seeing how you travel 10+ hours for a Chili race, I figure 3+ hours would be nothing for you...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BiggDogg33,

Dude, calm down. To give you a brief history, yes, the OFNA Ultra GTP and DM-One were out long before the IGT (I believe about 2-4yrs on the Ultra GTP and at least 2 for the 1/7th scale DM-One). However, there was very little organized racing with these cars when they came out. I know that a few West Coast guys tried to push this bigger-scale racing class but it never really caught on there or anywhere else. Now, Kyosho comes along with their version of the Ultra GTP and a couple of people work to get the Kyosho car into an organized racing program (RC Pro and Jspeed). Everyone is soon surprised that this class featuring the Kyosho car is now taking off like wildfire. From what I understand, Jspeed tried to get OFNA and any other manufacturer of this class/scale of car to hop on board but they chose to pass. Now that the class is growing by leaps and bounds, now everyone wants to jump in and get a piece of the pie. But, the others that want to join in also want to throw out the rules so that they run whatever they want. Again, if you make this a "money" class like Lola-bodied 1/8th scale and now 200mm, you will kill this class (just ask the 235mm racers that watched the class die because of the "money" war).

I am speaking as a hobbiest/club racer that want to have fun while enjoying my "toy" car. I am not sponsored by Kyosho, Mugen, or any other manufacturer of car kits, tires, engines, or radio gear. However, I would like to see new racers come into the racing scene as well as bringing some folks back that gave up on racing due to the "money" war that may have made some to quit. When I saw the first Kyosho IGT run at Bvoltz' Bass Pro Series race, I wanted in. So, I asked Bvoltz on whether he would allow the OFNA or any other IGT-type car into his series. He told me the rules are set based upon the Kyosho IGT so I would have to get the IGT or not compete at all (no OFNA cars allowed). So, since I wanted to run, I got with the program and got a Kyosho IGT car. Instead of bucking the rules and trying to push an agenda, I followed the rules set forth, bought the equipment that fit those rules, and have been having fun ever since running this class. It is not about being scare of competition, it is about following the rules as they are set forth. If you wanted to race in the HPI Challenge series races, you have to have a HPI or Hot Bodies car or you can't compete, plain and simple. You can try to come in with your Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, etc to compete and they will tell you to take a hike. When ROAR establish a class for these cars, then you can compete with whatever car you decide with whatever hop-ups that ROAR will allow.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vadn1
Juan,
Gulf Coast RC is having a race Nov. 22nd, Saturday night, do you think you will make the trip down to Houston? Seeing how you travel 10+ hours for a Chili race, I figure 3+ hours would be nothing for you...
Jackson, MS is only 6 hours away. So that would make it a 12 hour round trip. I will not be able to make it due to working at Mikes Hobby Shop in Carrollton on Saturdays and this would be a very short notice to give Mike (I try to let him know at least 2-3 weeks ahead of time if I want off to go racing). If you guys have anything going in December, I can try to arrange something with my schedule.

Juan
Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Jspeed,

Barry (Bvoltz) allowed the IGT2 to race with the IGT1 at his Bass Pro Series races this year and no one had a problem with it. In fact, we found out that the IGT2 has better turn-in and cornering speed than the IGT1. The win I got over at Bvoltz' Big Chill race two weeks ago, the two cars I had to fight off for the win were IGT2 (I raced my IGT1). So, in my opinion, running the IGT/IGT2 together is not a problem.
Yea, there's not a lot of difference between to two IGT chassis besides a little length & a few standard upgrades. I think the engine placement relative to the wheels is helping the car to drive a little better too, but my IGT1 is not for sale.

Your comment about "the HPI Challenge series races" is right on the money.
What some people don't want to understand is you can't make a "Spec" car by just putting a sticker on a box & telling everyone its a "Spec" car.

The IGT Spec cars racing have many things in common including engines. (Read that as 3 Port engine design). Some of the "Spec" classes world wide have established replacement engines to fit the class in their rules and thats cool too.

Others running a "GT" class choose to ignore that point about engines, so it really isn't a true "Spec" class at that point, is it?

I plan to keep one of my IGT cars in true "IGT Spec" class form and I'll build the other one with the "No Rules" approach that the Ofna guys seem to want so much after ROAR makes their set of rules for 2009.

I'm more than happy to run both classes.

Give my best to Barry at Bass Pro next time you see him!

Last edited by Jspeed; 11-18-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vadn1
Here are the specs you are asking about.....

Wheel base - 380mm
track width ft - 305
Track width Rear - 307

Weight (without body, 5 cell Nicd receiver pack, and 125cc of fuel) - 3692 gr
weight including body (without 5 cell Nicd receiver pack, and 125cc of fuel) - 4025gr

These figures are from the car that I ran at Homestead Race #1, not from some website.

Hope this helps you Sir....
Thanks Vad

Here's the Specs on the Kyosho IGT cars:

IGT1 Specs
Wheelbase 325mm
Track Width 262 – 265mm

IGT2 Specs
Wheelbase 360mm
Track Width 262 – 265mm

Does anyone know the specs on the DM1S & GTP1-2 chassis?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Thanks Vad

Here's the Specs on the Kyosho IGT cars:

IGT1 Specs
Wheelbase 325mm
Track Width 262 – 265mm

IGT2 Specs
Wheelbase 360mm
Track Width 262 – 265mm

Does anyone know the specs on the DM1S & GTP1-2 chassis?
Jeff,
Are you sure about the track width. Seem low, how are you measuring the track width?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Guys,

Like I stated before, it is not about being "scared" of the competition, it is about following the established rules. It seems like there are many that have their own agenda(s) and are being blinded by said agenda(s) and saying "to hell with the rules because I don't agree with them". Instead of trying to force your agenda(s), how about sitting down with the rules maker(s) and negotiating for rule(s) changes to include what you are proposing. You can't just come in with the "to heck with the rules, I will run what I want to run" attitude; that gets nothing accomplished. If you don't believe me, ask the guys that have tried to race a HPI Challenge race with a non-HPI car and they will tell you what the HPI officials told them. I will bet that those guys that really wanted to participate went out and bought a HPI/Hot Bodies car! You can tip-toe through a mine field and never step on a mine or you can stomp/charge through blindly, step on a mine and blow yourself up.

So, what I am suggesting is stop, think about what you are doing, what you are wanting to accomplish, and negotiate/barter for fair rule changes to include what you want to run. If the organizer/rules maker doesn't want to bend/amend the rules, then you will have to accept it, buy the necessary gear, or move on, plain and simple. We can sit out here and post all day long and accomplish nothing except to tick each other off. So, instead of bashing on the forum, how about being proactive problem solver and do you politicking quietly off the forum and be business-like about it.

Last edited by JLock; 11-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Juan is right, let the series representatives, race directors, or track owners make the rules. Lets not argue over toy cars on the internet. It makes sense, if you want to race in the IGT class you have to obey the rules.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Guys,

Like I stated before, it is not about being "scared" of the competition, it is about following the established rules. It seems like there are many that have their own agenda(s) and are being blinded by said agenda(s) and saying "to hell with the rules because I don't agree with them". Instead of trying to force your agenda(s), how about sitting down with the rules maker(s) and negotiating for rule(s) changes to include what you are proposing. You can't just come in with the "to heck with the rules, I will run what I want to run" attitude; that gets nothing accomplished. If you don't believe me, ask the guys that have tried to race a HPI Challenge race with a non-HPI car and they will tell you what the HPI officials told them. I will bet that those guys that really wanted to participate went out and bought a HPI/Hot Bodies car! You can tip-toe through a mine field and never step on a mine or you can stomp/charge through blindly, step on a mine and blow yourself up.

So, what I am suggesting is stop, think about what you are doing, what you are wanting to accomplish, and negotiate/barter for fair rule changes to include what you want to run. If the organizer/rules maker doesn't want to bend/amend the rules, then you will have to accept it, buy the necessary gear, or move on, plain and simple. We can sit out here and post all day long and accomplish nothing except to tick each other off. So, instead of bashing on the forum, how about being proactive problem solver and do you politicking quietly off the forum and be business-like about it.
Maybe you are right or maybe we are right in our way too,but we are not arguing we just trying to understand whats going own with the GT class racing,and why is thing operating in a certain matter,u know but its all good, no hard feelings and far as me with my GT2 ill race anyone or anything in GT class rather its open or spec because I really have my car setup for open class and did invest in some money to reassure that my car can handle the competition and for spec class I do have the GT1 thats just like I took it out the box but I just changed the pinion gears and installed the GXR.28SG engine on it and the car is off the hook,and Im just trying to say if the rules need to be rearrange to make racing good for all GT cars then please direct me in the right Direction,and at our track which is 301 raceway, we race open and spec too but just not with one brand of car if a bunch of guys show up with out the box GT cars then we race them but if a bunch of guys show up with aftermarket engine we race them,but we never turn away the competition because they dont have a certain brand of car!!! may the GT rules need to be looked into!!! just my opinion just point me in the Direction!! Ill try my hand, and please if you dont mind let me know when the next GT class race is and where!!! thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 66ss
what kind of battery pack do the gt1 or gt2 take?
I am using this one:

http://www.modhobby.com/catalog/detail/SRP2500T

tremendous amount of run time. The wide version fits as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 66ss
what kind of battery pack do the gt1 or gt2 take?
I use a 5 cell 1600 mah hump pack

Last edited by Zootcapri; 11-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

I'm starting to get a sort of information overload with the definition of spec class. The question that has now come into my mind about this topic is; Do I sell my IGT for the IGT2 ? Which is now classified as spec?
Just as Jspeed did, I kept my IGT as box stock as possible. My GTP2 was the one that I modded.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
I'm starting to get a sort of information overload with the definition of spec class. The question that has now come into my mind about this topic is; Do I sell my IGT for the IGT2 ? Which is now classified as spec?
Just as Jspeed did, I kept my IGT as box stock as possible. My GTP2 was the one that I modded.
I say keep the IGT and get the IGT2. That is what I did.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
I have had both the GT1 and the GT2. Both cars are "Spec". On the GT1 I added sway bars, brakes and a brace. On the GT2 I had to upgrade the brake. All these modification are within my understanding of what the "Spec" class rules are (but they change from place to place - confusing).

I was told that the GT2 engine was better but on our track I don't see it. I run side by side with GT1 cars. I do notice that the GT2 car has more steering going into and thru the middle of the turn. Not a lot but if you drive a GT1 and immediately drive a GT2 you will notice the difference. Our season is over so I have not had the opportunity to get a computer lap time on the GT2 but based on how it performs against people I raced running a GT1 I estimate that the lap is slightly faster. It is easier to drive too.

On the GT1 I did a lot of diff oil and shock oil changing and my car was dialed. On the GT2 I didn't do any of this and my car is great right out of the box. I did go to the middle front top shock position.

Down side of the GT2 is that there are no replacement bodies. I messed up the front of my Corvette when someone spun on the straight and I hit him WFO.

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.