Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up STOP!!!

Can we please stop talking about budget!! R/C car racing cost money no matter what car you choose to run. I am a big fan of the spec racing but it does not exist, once the rules stated that you can change your servo's the car is no longer box stock.

With that said the series is a success due to the amount of interaction on this and many othe forums. I say regulate kyosho only tires to keep "spec racing" in focus. I am a fan of the kit tires because as they ware you must adjust your driving style. (the key to success is the driver)

After a heat cycle on the kit tires you can apply some tire treatment and they hookup pretty well and will last for a main. Kyosho also has the INFERNO GT SLICK TIRES in 45, 55 & 60 shore; I haven't tested these tires but Kyosho is trying to keep this class alive!

If you want to spend $100 or a $1,000 dollars that shouldn't matter is all cars are teched and the same tires are used. I think we need to talk setup and see who is gaining the .10 needed to win with this great SPEC class!

Just my 2 cents; enjoy the racing and keep posting the winning results!!!

B
Old 10-25-2008, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prostock
Can we please stop talking about budget!! R/C car racing cost money no matter what car you choose to run. I am a big fan of the spec racing but it does not exist, once the rules stated that you can change your servo's the car is no longer box stock.

With that said the series is a success due to the amount of interaction on this and many othe forums. I say regulate kyosho only tires to keep "spec racing" in focus. I am a fan of the kit tires because as they ware you must adjust your driving style. (the key to success is the driver)

After a heat cycle on the kit tires you can apply some tire treatment and they hookup pretty well and will last for a main. Kyosho also has the INFERNO GT SLICK TIRES in 45, 55 & 60 shore; I haven't tested these tires but Kyosho is trying to keep this class alive!

If you want to spend $100 or a $1,000 dollars that shouldn't matter is all cars are teched and the same tires are used. I think we need to talk setup and see who is gaining the .10 needed to win with this great SPEC class!

Just my 2 cents; enjoy the racing and keep posting the winning results!!!

B
I too am a fan of Spec racing but I am not a fan of Kyosho tires. The Kyosho V slick series tires were the first tires we went to after the stock tire wore out and we found that they had a very short tire life on our track surface. This negated one of the things we hoped that Spec Class racing would bring and that was low cost to race. Because of this short life issue other rubber tires were tried and we found that we got good handling and long tire life with Ipanema, Ofna and Twister tires. I am currently getting 4 to 5 race weekends out of the Ipanema tires I am running as opposed to perhaps 1 weekend (maybe) out of the V slicks. Kyosho needs to take another look at how their tires hold up compared to the brands mentioned above.

Our group allows brake upgrade, sway bar addition, and servo change. Other than that the car is to remain stock. The cost to race is low and the fun factor is high. This is a great class. I hope that it doesn't get screw-up by people wanting to make the cars go faster by adding upgrades and driving the cost of racing up.

I think ROAR needs to recognize this class and make rules for a 1) Spec Class - limited mods as mentioned above and 2) Open Class for those that want to throw a lot of money at their car.

Lee Muse
Old 10-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Got some experience with this whole GT racing thing too,.

Unless an event or a track is organized to be “brand” specific, there is no way to keep other manufacturers out of the “GT” arena anymore. Those days are pretty much over. I know, being the guy that started the “IGT Spec Class” program in Tampa and helped craft the rules that some groups around the world are using today.

There are also the racers that want to run the GT cars in an “Open” type class. While they are few in comparison to the “Spec Class” guys, like me, they do exist and should find a way to grow in popularity without forcing the “Spec” cars to race with them.

I’ve been accused many times of being a “hater” to the “GT Open” class, but it really is far from the truth. I do understand where they’re coming from, however I do prefer the spirit of the “Spec” class concept.

On the subject of engines, I totally believe that the “Spec” cars should be allowed to use any of the RTR pull start engines available in the RTR cars, regardless of manufacturer as well as, a suitable equivalent with a retail price in the same range as the RTR engines that come in the “GT” cars from the factory; That also includes exhaust systems.

There should be some kind of “Claimer Rule” to prevent excessive modifications to these engines out of fear that the racer would lose it after the race day is over.

On the subject of electronics, many racers have spare electronics around after years of racing. The RTR electronics are getting better, but they are still not up to par with what is needed for serious racing efforts. The durability of steel gears and the torque needed to steer & slow down these heavier chassis just isn’t there in the RTR servos available.

The advent of DSM radios also eliminates frequency conflicts that exist with crystals.

On the subject of tires, rubber tires really are the way to go with the “Spec classes”, while “Open Class” cars should be allowed to run foams if they wish or its determined that the higher powered cars need them. Tire choice should remain up to each racer; there are “kit” and several good “pre-mounted” tires available that far surpass the RTR tires which will only destroy cars due to lack of traction in racing environments.

On the issue of bodies, there are many fine examples to choose from, ProtoForm’s new PF8GT is very nice and I’m sure there will be more in the future. The only bodies that should be excluded are the Lola type bodies because they would eliminate all the bodies that actually look like real cars; which is one of the single largest attractions of this class.

If a manufacturer wants to start their own series they can call the shots and that’s very cool too.

Otherwise the best we can do is try to maintain a somewhat level playing field between the manufacturers of GT cars and supporting products that are available now & the ones yet to come.

I think the people at Roar are trying to do exactly that. They seem to be keeping a low profile while they figure it all out in fairness to all.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vadn1
Here is the video for you guys
Not too bad.. but I don't know - it seems that for some cars it's very hard to keep the line and it does not look very appealing to me. I don't personally like that much "sailing around" you know. Nice work on the camera though, and a nice track like always.

e: I watched the video couple of times again and actually there wasn't much sliding around.. few times maybe but it was mainly because of competition between cars. Were these all DM1's or which cars they were?

Last edited by MikaR; 10-25-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

the orange and black car w/orange wheels was a dm1 and porshe and and also few gt1 and and gt2
Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Would changing the cooling head on my Inferno Gt GXR28 engine be considered "modifying", or against the rules for "spec" class racing? I'm interested in the Nova racing billet head for this engine. What I'm trying to achieve is a cooler running engine since I live in hot S. Florida climate.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

a lot of folks talk about they are trying to recruit new comers to the hobby which is fine but when try to make a person buy a specific car that will also discourage a potental new comer as well as current people who loves the hobby because i race at 301 raceway and alot of racers where asking me about my dm-1 and was impressed on how it handle but they don't like a the restrictions in this class because the new gt2 is basically the size car so try to get the ones who don't mind spending the money to make the faster and inturn we can help new comer get into as because this not a cheap hobby so stop trying to sell that to a new comer
Old 10-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hobbipro
Would changing the cooling head on my Inferno Gt GXR28 engine be considered "modifying", or against the rules for "spec" class racing? I'm interested in the Nova racing billet head for this engine. What I'm trying to achieve is a cooler running engine since I live in hot S. Florida climate.
save your money and get the new GXR28SG instead
Old 10-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

I'll look into a replacement engine later on if it makes it a few gallons, my GT is brand new. The head I am talking about is this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-GXR28-Nov...713.m153.l1262 Not bad with free shipping. I just wanted to ask what would be considered "modifing" the engine to make it out of spec rules.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IGT II Audi Body does fit Ofna DM-1 (1st gen) car.

Checked today during a practice session at Gulf Coast RC track, aka Mikes Hobby shop, Porter, Texas.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'll look into a replacement engine later on if it makes it a few gallons, my GT is brand new. The head I am talking about is this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-GXR28-Nov...713.m153.l1262 Not bad with free shipping. I just wanted to ask what would be considered "modifing" the engine to make it out of spec rules.
I don't believe the head by NOVA includes the glow plug portion. It's just the heatsink. If I recall, the Kyosho glowplug button is integrated into the heatsink(one whole machined piece). Someone will correct me if I am wrong...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Have you tried adding another head shim, running 16-20% nitro & OS8 plug?
235 to 245 degrees is kinda normal in racing conditions for the engine.

Make sure the engine is getting enough air flow with the stock head too.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DogboneS
I don't believe the head by NOVA includes the glow plug portion. It's just the heatsink. If I recall, the Kyosho glowplug button is integrated into the heatsink(one whole machined piece). Someone will correct me if I am wrong...
This is correct.

This Nova head seems rather inexpensive, would be cool looking in IGT I guess.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

I ordered the nova head this weekend. I went back and tried to find out if it comes with a button for the head, or if needs one. It simply doesnt say, I'm assuming they would disclose that it needed the button, and was a seperate item sold. Their store doesnt even list buttons, which is odd since they dont mention anything in the listing, guess I'll find out.
I also replaced my servo's this past weekend with Futaba on steering and throttle. The main problem is the brakes, they are quite weak, even with a 70oz servo they fade quick. I'm hoping by adding the MP777 brake kit, or atleast adding another disk and pads will help out.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is the body I painted for the KO Propo race over the weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.