Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
Very well stated. Potentially how many more racers will show up at the track twice a month or more racing GT class cars? To attrace new purchasers/racers the low cost/cheapest components will not keep people purchasing the product.
The next manufacturer in the GT class field will need to have equal or better reliability than the existing players. Right now it would be tough for a third company to commit to a product.
There are other companies that produce 1/8 onroad cars. It's just that Kyosho and OFNA have a bigger stake in it. So, those will be the first two companies that comes to mind when thinking 1/8 GT. But as Chris put it. The demand has to be there in order to make a profit. And there is no doubt in my mind that Associated(or any other major company) could build and market a 1/8 onroad car. Based on what Kyohso and OFNA have already done to make their buggies into GT cars.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The problem is keeping the class cheap and equally competitive.
When and if more manufactures offer more cars or hopped up cars then the class begins to divide even more.

What are your local tracks / clubs running for classes?

Do they allow:
-2 speed mods or swaps?
-replacement engine $ limit or specific motors?
-can you replace the chassis with a lightweight?
-can you upgrade to carbon fiber parts?

At what point does the class divide?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
There are other companies that produce 1/8 onroad cars. It's just that Kyosho and OFNA have a bigger stake in it. So, those will be the first two companies that comes to mind when thinking 1/8 GT. But as Chris put it. The demand has to be there in order to make a profit. And there is no doubt in my mind that Associated(or any other major company) could build and market a 1/8 onroad car. Based on what Kyohso and OFNA have already done to make their buggies into GT cars.
Actually, probably Losi is the best positioned to enter this market when you think about it - they already have the L8ight model - which brings low shock towers and short shocks to the table in addition to a body mounting system and when test fitted to my McLaren body - it's a bit short - probably about the length of a GT1. Add truggy chassis and TWALA???? Instant IGT??? Could be!

Originally Posted by Project7Racing
The problem is keeping the class cheap and equally competitive.
When and if more manufactures offer more cars or hopped up cars then the class begins to divide even more.

What are your local tracks / clubs running for classes?

Do they allow:
-2 speed mods or swaps?
-replacement engine $ limit or specific motors?
-can you replace the chassis with a lightweight?
-can you upgrade to carbon fiber parts?

At what point does the class divide?
From what I understand, the midwestern version of these rules are 'close' to being spec - as far as I know (and I don't know or profess to know everything for sure) the midset has been to keep it as simple and close to stock as possible. The 2 speed mod is certainly an area of controversy because it appears to FIX a fundamental reliability issue. From my conversations with other, more experienced participants in this area the common ground of thought seems to be with a LESS THEN $200.00 replacement engine WITH pull start installed, standard chassis and no carbon fiber. Tires and electronics are pretty much open and I haven't heard a LOT of talk about exhaust but would really like to see that left open since I (ALONG WITH LOTS OF OTHERS) *HATE* 2 piece exhaust systems.

Honestly, with the 'midwestern' system, a lot of expense is removed from the class BUT I can see where tires could become quite an expense - and with that I think that a 'spec' tire would be a good idea (and of course, that brings WHICH tire to the question of the hour status!).

I really hope that this class can remain with the mindset that to prosper there has to be some cost effective constraints placed upon it. Certainly 'rules' that are hard to tech and enforce should NOT be the case but truthfully, history tells us that those who want to 'cheat' or bend rules will find a way!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default re: spec tire

thinking out loud here - why limit a tire when a particular type works on one track and a completely different one works on another. Unless we are sure that each car can be adjusted to work with a "spec" tire at most locations - it might just eliminate a brand of car from being competitive. A dollar cap might work better

to better clarify - I was talking - rubber only. I have heard talk about only allowing the OFNA pre-mount rubber slicks at one track. I think just keeping it rubber.

Last edited by rsperson; 06-18-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Personally after owning an IGT since its birth(lol) I feel we should only limit tire selection (rubber only). I have placed several motors on my GT from high end on road novarossi (plus 35) to beat up buggie mills and I believe that of all cars the Inferno is the most fun and realistic. Horsepower is only good on the longest straight, gearing selection, tire choice ,engine tune, set up and luck play into the outcome of any heat. Fundamentally the K car has some flaws, the 2 speed, the stock motor the price and availability of those beautiful bodies , but thats why IGT drivers love them.
RC and affordable dont belong in the same sentence, upgrade ,hop up, mod will cost you thats why the class has caught on limiting motor$$ sounds good but a newbie rather spend money on a new motor (LRP .28) $179 than $125 on a transponder.
Let the class live without limits just keep the rubber tires
Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

For those of you with Kyosho IGT2 cars looking for the Ipanema Black Hawk EVO Transmission conversion kits, give Richie a call at Brooklyn Hobbies.
He has several in stock and available right now.

http://www.brooklynhobbies.com

Good Luck to all!

www.ipanemasports.com
Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

A guy at the track I race with said that Kyosho has re-called the IGT2, because of a bad -O- ring on the highspeed needle. He said the -O- ring shrinks and leaks nitro. Has anyone had this problem, or seen any strange behavior in the stock engine?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default replacement engine suggestion

Looking for some feedback from people that have some first hand experience with some of different IGT engines.

We have a descent GT series, and my second Kyosho stock engine let go (main bearing) yesterday. Looking for a replacment.

Mainly, I'm looking for a reliable, durable engine first...performance second. We have a cool track with a technical infield and a nice long straight, so both torque and RPM based motors do pretty good.

We're running backwards in this vid, but you get the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWwelLs1oE

Basically, here's the list of approved engines for our GT class. Need to maintain stock internals, and retain pullstart. I plan on running the stock Kyosho pipe, but all pipes are legal...and I have a few I could run.

1. Kyosho: GXR28SG
2. Kyosho: GXR28 (KYO74025)
3. Dynamite: .28 (DYN0890)
4. Dynamite: Mach 2 Monster .28 (DYN0992)
5. Ofna: .28 Force (OFN52217)
6. XTM: PTH 2802
7. Axial: .28 RR (AX0330)
8. Axial: .28 Spec (AX001)
9. Axial: .28 Spec (AX002)
10. Ofna: Hyper .28 (OFN 53220)

Any personal feedback on these engines (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated.

regards-
Eric
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Eric,

I've been running the stock Ofna Force .28 at LHR. It's got pretty good power but the tune is a bit finicky and its kind of on thirsty side. It could be just the one I have or I need a bit more tuning time with the engine. I believe the kyosho pipe screws onto the engine? The Force .28 uses more of a traditional buggy pipe with a spring to hold it on.

I have taken my engine up to 320*F and thought it was done for. I'm still running the same one and I was getting 240*F at the end of a qualifier and 260*F at the end of the main. It was my fault though that I flamed out during both my pit stops as I did a last minute adjustment and came into the pits with the tank bone dry at 5mins.

I believe Mark was running the Axial .28 RR and Bernie told me he swapped engines for the 3rd round of qualifing to the Force .28.

-Dave
Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Lrp

Get whoever is in charge to allow the Lrp .28 they are cheap and fast and easy to tune.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by latemodel13
Get whoever is in charge to allow the Lrp .28 they are cheap and fast and easy to tune.
Yeah, if you allow the Axial .28RR, then you should also include the LRP Z.28R. It's a monster for less than $175.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi L8ight Model...

My local track will allow me to run a Losi L8ight model converted to a GT style. Has anyone done this? Also what is the negative to not have a two speed tranny and having center diff. I was thinking that a 16 tooth clutch bell would help it down the straights...What do you think? Also any clue on what bodies will fit a Losi L8ight Model??? Thanks for the help....Mike
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mark and I both took out the axial. gas hogs. I got 5 minutes run time
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 AM
wwoodruff

Originally Posted by motomike122
My local track will allow me to run a Losi L8ight model converted to a GT style. Has anyone done this? Also what is the negative to not have a two speed tranny and having center diff. I was thinking that a 16 tooth clutch bell would help it down the straights...What do you think? Also any clue on what bodies will fit a Losi L8ight Model??? Thanks for the help....Mike
No 2 speed is really hard on the engine if the track has any kind of a back straight. Cheap engines do not like to scream for very long. I ran a converted Kanai 3 buggy, with a spool in the center diff and a Picco on-road engine but stopped. If you gear the engine to pull off the corners it will run out of steam quick. Go the other way and your clutch takes a beating from slipping it. The engine is also loaded all the time. These cars are heavy, a 2 speed is the way to go.
When I switched it over to Electric, the single speed was simple and fast with great performance.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
1. Kyosho: GXR28SG
2. Kyosho: GXR28 (KYO74025)
3. Dynamite: .28 (DYN0890)
4. Dynamite: Mach 2 Monster .28 (DYN0992)
5. Ofna: .28 Force (OFN52217)
6. XTM: PTH 2802
7. Axial: .28 RR (AX0330)
8. Axial: .28 Spec (AX001)
9. Axial: .28 Spec (AX002)
10. Ofna: Hyper .28 (OFN 53220)
What is the rule for your track? To my knowledge, if the track allows an aftermarket engine, Most seem to be placing a 200$ limit. If that's the case you are missing the 2 most popular in that range.

I personally have the Picco P3 .28 It is a BEAST! Once I tuned it, I haven't touched it since. I would highly recommend this motor from what I have gotten from it. HOWEVER the other one as previously suggested is the LRP spec 3 .28. I have also heard ALOT of people use this and it is a very good engine as well from what I hear, I have not personally used the LRP. Again IF the rule is sub 200$ i would look into these 2 first. If the list is restricted to what is above. I am no help sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.