R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GT class--buggy-based on road! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/183735-gt-class-buggy-based-road.html)

gashuffer 04-14-2011 01:19 PM

INS boxes do not change the performance of an engine like stated it just reduces unwanted noise. Most 1/8 tracks require them, too many complaints.

Pit-racer 04-14-2011 01:57 PM

I ordered my ins box today for my GT8 IGT2. :nod: From igthobbies

williamw 04-14-2011 02:03 PM

3 chamber pipes like the ones required by EFRA probably make a bigger difference to get the noise down. I don't know if ROAR requires them yet, do you know Juan?

1FastVW 04-14-2011 02:17 PM

OS xz25 and T-2060 pipe

I just picked up this combo for my IGT2....I understand this should be a killer combination. Any one on here run this and any break-in tips? Tx.

-R2- 04-14-2011 02:17 PM

OFNA black shirts for sale on For Sale Thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...rts-black.html

YANMAN 04-14-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by gashuffer (Post 8964555)
INS boxes do not change the performance of an engine like stated it just reduces unwanted noise. Most 1/8 tracks require them, too many complaints.

I have to run one in my .12 touring car. I can go 5:30 with the INS box and can hardly make 5 min without it. So, needless to say I run mine all the time.

JLock 04-14-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 8964731)
3 chamber pipes like the ones required by EFRA probably make a bigger difference to get the noise down. I don't know if ROAR requires them yet, do you know Juan?

So far, ROAR is only requiring the INS box for the carb. I believe three chamber pipes are not legal for their sanctioned races but someone else a little closer to ROAR will have to answer/vouch for that one.

williamw 04-14-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastVW (Post 8964812)
I just picked up this combo for my IGT2....I understand this should be a killer combination. Any one on here run this and any break-in tips? Tx.

That should rip!

Pit-racer 04-14-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by -R2- (Post 8964816)
OFNA black shirts for sale on For Sale Thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...rts-black.html

We know you posted that already.:weird:

TommyBlazin 04-14-2011 03:46 PM

LOL

-R2- 04-14-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8965211)
We know you posted that already.:weird:

And I will keep doing it.

whipnet 04-14-2011 04:21 PM

MMMMMMM Good!

http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/1...30036-spam.jpg

snrscion 04-14-2011 04:46 PM

LOL:lol::lol::lol:

gashuffer 04-14-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by YANMAN (Post 8964887)
I have to run one in my .12 touring car. I can go 5:30 with the INS box and can hardly make 5 min without it. So, needless to say I run mine all the time.

This is a long shot because you never know who know's what, but did you re-tune after you took the INS box off? If not it's because you leaned out.

gashuffer 04-14-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by -R2- (Post 8965259)
And I will keep doing it.

:tire::D:D:tire:

bobbyblaze 04-14-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JLock (Post 8964900)
So far, ROAR is only requiring the INS box for the carb. I believe three chamber pipes are not legal for their sanctioned races but someone else a little closer to ROAR will have to answer/vouch for that one.

I beleive you are right on the 3 chamber pipe...i remember when the jp-3 pipe came out they didn't agree with it so later on ofna came out with the jp-4 w/EFRA# on it where the jp-3 didn't

Pit-racer 04-14-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by whipnet (Post 8965407)

lol :lol::lol:

JLock 04-15-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze (Post 8966388)
I beleive you are right on the 3 chamber pipe...i remember when the jp-3 pipe came out they didn't agree with it so later on ofna came out with the jp-4 w/EFRA# on it where the jp-3 didn't

Since ROAR hasn't posted their 2011 rulebook to their website, I reviewed what they have in their 2010 rules concerning exhausts for nitro fuel classes. It doesn't specifically state that a 3-chamber pipe can't be used, they just state that the muffler/tuned pipe must be ROAR/IFMAR approved for all of their sanctioned events (rule 9.2.4.2)

This is what I did see in regards to INS boxes:

9.3.7 Inlet Noise Silencer device "INS" box shall be required for level 3,4 and 5 event
for on-road 1/8th scale competition. Roar will maintain an approved list of
acceptable devices available on the "Approvals" area of the ROAR web site. No
performance modifications will be allowed to the INS box. Modification will be
determined by comparison to sample device as provided by the manufacturer
and under control of a ROAR representative. Tolerance for this purpose will be
+/- .1mm.

So, for the upcoming race in Texas in May (Texas Biggie), I have already proposed the question about INS box use for the GT cars with the SWCS committee putting on the race. The race is a ROAR sanctioned level 3 race which is why the INS box issue was even brought up.

JLock 04-15-2011 06:45 AM

If we in the GT community get use to using INS boxes now, it will make it easier to transition over to ROAR races whenever they make and institute rules for the class. Why should we wait and follow when we can take the lead and set the precedent for our class.

Pit-racer 04-15-2011 07:13 AM

I believe our class is officially called the "1/8th Super GT" by R.O.A.R. So by wording alone we are no obligated to have a ins box in our cars. But it will not hurt, our cars can be loud.

JLock 04-15-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8968481)
I believe our class is officially called the "1/8th Super GT" by R.O.A.R. So by wording alone we are no obligated to have a ins box in our cars. But it will not hurt, our cars can be loud.

So, lets just use the INS box now and get use to it before ROAR implements the upcoming class. This way, when you go to a ROAR race with your GT car, you will be ahead of the curve.

Pit-racer 04-15-2011 07:52 AM

My 1/8 Super GT or GT8 for short will have one from now on. Hope it helps the db levels some. I think my neighbors are plotting against me.:sneaky::lol:

williamw 04-15-2011 08:26 AM

For those who think otherwise, INS boxes and 3 chamber pipes are for noise reduction, they do not increase performance. Anytime you limit the amount of air an engine can inhale without decreasing the amount of fuel flow, your engine will run rich. The engine must be leaned out to run properly. That is why you get better mileage.
Restricting the airflow with a smaller carb insert does the same thing (offroad racers all do this now, fuel mileage means less fill ups, time saved, the engines are more powerfull than needed for offroad racing). The restrictors probably reduce noise somewhat also.
Less fuel and less air equals less power. :eek:

Jspeed 04-15-2011 08:28 AM

Fellas, I only posted on the INS boxes as a possibility for the 2011 Ipanema US GT National Championships because of the track’s close proximity to the pit seating areas and the echo effects of the track being between two buildings. ;)

On another note, there are some tracks & races where our GT cars run with 1/8 scale & 200mm guys as more or less guests to the event or facility. If they complain about noise from out GT cars, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to use INS boxes to help keep the peace with everyone else and welcome more of them to want to help grow our class some more.

Other than that, I really couldn’t care less if we do or don’t race with them on our GT cars, lol ;)

Jspeed 04-15-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8968481)
I believe our class is officially called the "1/8th Super GT" by R.O.A.R.

:lol::lol::lol: dude, you can believe in fairy tales, unicorns or Tinker bell or call it the "zip boom bah crash" class if it makes you feel happy :lol::lol:, but since the beginning its been known as The GT Class since 2007. :lol::lol:

:lol::lol:Check the name of this thread, "alwaysgottatrytogetthelastwordinpit". :lol::lol::lol:

Pit-racer 04-15-2011 09:06 AM

So if I was using/racing a gt style body back in my 235mm. days , cause I always love realism, when everyone ran lola style bodies does that make me grandfather of gt style cars?:lol::lol:dumbazzjeff :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pit-racer 04-15-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 8968807)
For those who think otherwise, INS boxes and 3 chamber pipes are for noise reduction, they do not increase performance. Anytime you limit the amount of air an engine can inhale without decreasing the amount of fuel flow, your engine will run rich. The engine must be leaned out to run properly. That is why you get better mileage.
Restricting the airflow with a smaller carb insert does the same thing (offroad racers all do this now, fuel mileage means less fill ups, time saved, the engines are more powerfull than needed for offroad racing). The restrictors probably reduce noise somewhat also.
Less fuel and less air equals less power. :eek:

It might be true ... but a lil' less db's don't hurt. Sometimes there are families attending these races, and a happy family leads to more racing.:nod: Does any1 know if these will work in our cars? Them being shorter and lighter. ... http://www.xceedrc.com/image.php?Ima...94&size=medium

spooky 1 04-15-2011 10:37 AM

That looks like the Ofna cleaner, and yes we have been using those.

whipnet 04-15-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8968988)
It might be true ... but a lil' less db's don't hurt. Sometimes there are families attending these races, and a happy family leads to more racing.:nod:

GO BRUSHLESS!! (Sorry, had to) :)

Tabushi 04-15-2011 11:18 AM

Mhhhhh ... i can be wrong but under my experience, if the guys are using "the louder pipes available" even with INS boxes the benefit will not be there, is the combination of EFRA/IFMAR pipes + INS's in Europe that do the job.

Anyway ... those videos have AMAZING SOUND hehehehe ...

cya !

Pato

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 8964288)
Patricio,
The reason we’re thinking about them for our GT Open class for the Texas race is because of a few reasons:

A lot of the “GT Open” racers are already running on-road .21 engines with the loudest pipes available (some of them are not legal to be used in IFAR, EFRA & ROAR), just like the 1/8 scales cars, but without INS boxes they’re very loud at the track we'll be running at.

The track at Mike’s has the pit area right up against the side of the track on both sides of the driver’s stand. The track is also sandwiched in between two buildings that trap a lot of noise.

After watching these short videos of a only a few GT cars running a qualifier there, you can hear how loud it was. Watch these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7nN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6T-m...eature=related

Now try to imagine three full days of hearing 10 to 12 “Non-INS” equipped GT Open class cars on the track at one time. If the sound didn’t bounce off the two buildings and the pit tables weren’t close to the track, it wouldn’t be much of an issue really.

Add those together and a heavy turnout of GT Open class racers and it could get ruff after a while for everyone.

Those are the reasons we’re considering INS boxes for GT Open only for our race in Texas this year. GT Spec class is fine without INS boxes. Like I said, we're talking about it.

Glad to see you agree about the “no sauce” rule Bro. ;)

Jspeed 04-15-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tabushi (Post 8969560)
Mhhhhh ... i can be wrong but under my experience, if the guys are using "the louder pipes available" even with INS boxes the benefit will not be there, is the combination of EFRA/IFMAR pipes + INS's in Europe that do the job.

Anyway ... those videos have AMAZING SOUND hehehehe ...

cya !

Pato

Pato,

Have you ever replaced the factory stock air cleaner/filter from a real 1:1 car with a free flowing aftermarket unit? Did you hear a difference in the exhaust tone on your car?

This is not any different with our toy cars. The INS Box will reduce the intake sound and help to reduce the overall exhaust note of the car. Physics is Physics, it can’t be intelligently argued against.

Any slight reduction in overall noise levels of the “GT Open” class might be a good thing for this specific race we’re talking about; for the reasons I’ve stated before about the event location and the audio dynamics of the facility in question.

So please Pato, try to understand that we’re only talking about maybe using the INS in the “GT Open Class” at the Ipanema US GT event at this specific venue only.

The other alternative is putting restrictions on actual exhausts like ROAR, EFRA or IFMAR does and I personally don’t like that type of philosophy for our US GT racing event, ok. :nod:

Thanks for your input, experience and understanding of North American style of GT racing. ;)

Tabushi 04-15-2011 01:20 PM

I know you are talking about Jeff no problem ... i was just pointing out my personal perspective.

I do race offroad more than onroad and downhere we race under IFMAR rulebook (FAMAR BLOCK) so im in the loop on sanctioned pipes and in onroad with INS BOXES and stuff ... is just that for a hell of a fun class as GT, i would not even think on adding those restrictions. I dont know if my pipes are not so loud, but already tested INS on my GT and i cant see much difference in sound, 1:1 carb throats are way different in sound v/s rc ones,

regards

Pato

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 8969916)
Pato,

Have you ever replaced the factory stock air cleaner/filter from a real 1:1 car with a free flowing aftermarket unit? Did you hear a difference in the exhaust tone on your car?

This is not any different with our toy cars. The INS Box will reduce the intake sound and help to reduce the overall exhaust note of the car. Physics is Physics, it can’t be intelligently argued against.

Any slight reduction in overall noise levels of the “GT Open” class might be a good thing for this specific race we’re talking about; for the reasons I’ve stated before about the event location and the audio dynamics of the facility in question.

So please Pato, try to understand that we’re only talking about maybe using the INS in the “GT Open Class” at the Ipanema US GT event at this specific venue only.

The other alternative is putting restrictions on actual exhausts like ROAR, EFRA or IFMAR does and I personally don’t like that type of philosophy for our US GT racing event, ok. :nod:

Thanks for your input, experience and understanding of North American style of GT racing. ;)

Pit-racer 04-15-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by whipnet (Post 8969533)
GO BRUSHLESS!! (Sorry, had to) :)

I know maybe someday soon. They are awesome.:nod:

Pit-racer 04-15-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by spooky 1 (Post 8969385)
That looks like the Ofna cleaner, and yes we have been using those.

This is the exeed lighter/shorter version. wondering if it has an offset to avoid the hsn.

whipnet 04-15-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8970064)
I know maybe someday soon. They are awesome.:nod:

You know I am just ribbing. Nitro will always hold the cool crown.

gashuffer 04-15-2011 04:47 PM

Electric is for 1/10 touring cars :ha::tire:

TommyBlazin 04-15-2011 06:01 PM

After a little observation

after thought of hearing about the boxes, i came up with 2 observations id like to share?

<1> Ins boxes in 1/8 onroad, the motors are sticking thru body therefore, the motor gets ampule amounts of air flow, inside the body when i put on a ins box, didnt look to promising,as in 1/8 onroad AND touring the motors are configured differently,sideways so the air can direct right ontop motor head and the ins box is next to it, NOT in front blocking air passage. but with the gt, the air filters are head on with any possible air flow.I think it might cause alot of grief w/overheating issues!

<2> dont you think the large bodies of the gt class by itself work as a ins box? if u think about it, the motor is "buried" in there, and the body is doing same purpose, im just more concerned with not getting proper airflow over head of motor, ESPECIALLY the guys <like me> who run .21 on road motors with the small heads...

i will take a pic tomorrow and show you what i mean if anyone doesn't understand with what im saying here.

food for thought:tire:

Jspeed 04-15-2011 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tabushi (Post 8970028)
1:1 carb throats are way different in sound v/s rc ones,

Pato

Pato,

The Venturi effect is the reduction in fluid pressure that results when a fluid flows through a constricted section of pipe. The Venturi effect is named after Giovanni Battista Venturi (1746–1822), an Italian physicist. Carbs work because of his understanding of physics and his genius.

At the core of all carbs, they are all the same and react the same regardless of their size. It doesn’t matter if it’s a lawn mower, a 454ci Chevy or a .21 Sirio nitro engine; if they have a carb, they have venturi and all of them are governed by his proven & undisputable facts of physics.

Jspeed 04-15-2011 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin (Post 8971103)
after thought of hearing about the boxes, i came up with 2 observations id like to share?

<1> Ins boxes in 1/8 onroad, the motors are sticking thru body therefore, the motor gets ampule amounts of air flow, inside the body when i put on a ins box, didnt look to promising,as in 1/8 onroad AND touring the motors are configured differently,sideways so the air can direct right ontop motor head and the ins box is next to it, NOT in front blocking air passage. but with the gt, the air filters are head on with any possible air flow.I think it might cause alot of grief w/overheating issues!

<2> dont you think the large bodies of the gt class by itself work as a ins box? if u think about it, the motor is "buried" in there, and the body is doing same purpose, im just more concerned with not getting proper airflow over head of motor, ESPECIALLY the guys <like me> who run .21 on road motors with the small heads...

i will take a pic tomorrow and show you what i mean if anyone doesn't understand with what im saying here.

food for thought:tire:

Tommy,

Now that makes 100% sense.
Nevermind the INS, didn't think about the reduction in air flow to the head fins.

Bring on the noise! :lol:

TommyBlazin 04-15-2011 06:08 PM

LOL, just a observation i just made....glad i could help:nod: