R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GT class--buggy-based on road! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/183735-gt-class-buggy-based-road.html)

Jspeed 04-13-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by spooky 1 (Post 8958113)
I'm at 3210 on my open setup. My backup car is still 3320.

Is that "wet" with a full tank of fuel and with the body on too?

TommyBlazin 04-13-2011 10:25 AM

Thankyou for that setup info mike, i didnt see anything on droop, what did u run in terms of that? thanks again!:tire:

Pit-racer 04-13-2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by spooky 1 (Post 8958113)
What does your car weigh in at now, Andy? I'm at 3210 on my open setup. My backup car is still 3320. Where's my dremmel, I would like to take another half pound off this car.

Man!:weird: Now I know what you mean by Andy lightening his car. That boy has a dremel and ain't afraid to use it. He cuts things up!:weird:

Jspeed 04-13-2011 01:59 PM

Hey all you ":sneaky: sneaky guys :sneaky:", what are you gonna do when someone starts putting minumum chassis weight numbers in place, lol :lol::lol:

snrscion 04-13-2011 02:02 PM

Start adding lead.:D:D

Maximo 04-13-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8958758)
Man!:weird: Now I know what you mean by Andy lightening his car. That boy has a dremel and ain't afraid to use it. He cuts things up!:weird:

How light can a DM-1 Spec be brought down too ?

We don't have any sort of onroad racing here, but I sure would like to have my DM-1 hot rodded as much as possible..........

Pit-racer 04-13-2011 03:28 PM

I'm all for a set in stone min. weight for open and spec. classes. Anyone here from R.O.A.R. yet?

WildBillMassey 04-13-2011 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Pit, can't wait to see that PTM Alpha .23 run.

I won't be up your way until next month though. Getting ready to go race big cars for a couple weeks at Road Atlanta.

CurveTracer 04-13-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8959369)
How light can a DM-1 Spec be brought down too ?We don't have any sort of onroad racing here, but I sure would like to have my DM-1 hot rodded as much as possible..........

Search the DM1 thread, I think the post was made in 2009. The racer reduced a little over a pound in the weight of the car.

Pit-racer 04-13-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey (Post 8959856)
Hey Pit, can't wait to see that PTM Alpha .23 run.

I won't be up your way until next month though. Getting ready to go race big cars for a couple weeks at Road Atlanta.

Dang, I'll go race with you as a pit/fueler/tire changer/gopher. ;) Your Mazda's are awesome!:nod:

williamw 04-14-2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8959670)
I'm all for a set in stone min. weight for open and spec. classes. Anyone here from R.O.A.R. yet?

I hav'nt heard anything about the GT class from ROAR in quite awhile, but it sounds like Jspeed maybe up dating his rules soon. :eek:

Jspeed 04-14-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 8963613)
I hav'nt heard anything about the GT class from ROAR in quite awhile, but it sounds like Jspeed maybe up dating his rules soon. :eek:

After reading what happened in Homestead this week, our GT race rules will see a slight change to exclude the use of any chemical traction additives & a possible to include the use of "INS Boxes" for our race in Texas, but thats it, no other changes are needed for 2011.

Weight restrictions in GT Open class are not going to happen, minimum weight for GT Spec is 3500 grams.

To view more on the topic click here.

http://usgtnats.sports.officelive.co...20NATS%201.jpg

WildBillMassey 04-14-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 8963613)

Yeah, I hope ROAR rules come out soon, then we can have an across the country rule base so we are all on the same page. We will definitely be adapting roar rules at our local track.

Jspeed 04-14-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey (Post 8963700)
Yeah, I hope ROAR rules come out soon, then we can have an across the country rule base so we are all on the same page. We will definitely be adapting roar rules at our local track.

Quick questions bill....

You run a group of Gt racers in Austin Texas for your local club races correct?

What rules do you guys run for them there or are ya'll bashing?

jneg 04-14-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 8963696)
After reading what happened in Homestead this week, our GT race rules will see a slight change to exclude the use of any chemical traction additives & a possible to include the use of "INS Boxes" for our race in Texas, but thats it, no other changes are needed for 2011.

Weight restrictions in GT Open class are not going to happen, minimum weight for GT Spec is 3500 grams.

Please excuse my question but what is an "INS Box"? I agree our rubber tires do not need any aditional aditives to work correctly.

WildBillMassey 04-14-2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 8963723)
Quick questions bill....

What rules do you guys run for them there?

I don't run anything. I travel 170 miles round trip to HobbyTown North Austin which runs a 1/8 GT class every Saturday. They have not set any rules yet, to gain attendance, which has worked. The class last year started with four, and has grown to well over 20 in nitro, and we have 4 in electric, which is starting to catch on. The growth is attributed to the fact that a spectator can buy a car and throw it in the race without worrying about any special equipment.

Now that there is a steady attendance every week, a few of us have been talking with Hobbytown to start a new "rules" based class for those that want to run a more organized type of class. This "rules" class will be based on ROAR rules once they are released, and hopefully other tracks will do the same thing, so that we can travel to another track, and we already know the rules.

The original class will still remain, so that anyone can get a GT car and not have to worry about buying special items. Run what ya brung! For me, its all about fun and hanging out with my daughter, not competition.

williamw 04-14-2011 10:31 AM

:) :nod: When I get back to Dallas, I coming to Austin to race and see my first ever F1 race!!!!

Pit-racer 04-14-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 8963723)
Quick questions bill....

What rules do you guys run for them there or are ya'll bashing?

We generally run very similar rule of thumb Utah racers have in GT8 ...... Open:

Chassis: GT, GT2, DM-1, or 2 diff. off-road base chassis
Engines: any .21-.28, or electric motor
Minimum Weight Limit: None
Tires: Rubber tires. (any brand)
Bodies: Kyosho GT bodies, Alpha GT Bodies, Protoform PF8,Ipanema warrior body, Delta Plastic bodies, BYSM bodies, etc.
No centax clutches .... A Great attitude to have fun! ..... Not too technical , now if your rules are similar to these ... Great. :nod:

WildBillMassey 04-14-2011 10:34 AM

Wow, I just got a slew of PM's about the website. Looks like it was down for a bit while Domain Name registration updates where going on, but it is back up. Thanks for the heads up guys!:nod:

Jspeed 04-14-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by jneg (Post 8963806)
Please excuse my question but what is an "INS Box"? I agree our rubber tires do not need any aditional aditives to work correctly.

Whats up Bro?

The "INS Boxes" are used in 1/8 on-road racing to reduce noise, they have very little effect on performance. It goes around the air filter, real easy add on.

Since a lot of GT guys are running some pretty loud pipes, we might want to think about them for Texas.

WildBillMassey 04-14-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 8963846)
:) :nod: When I get back to Dallas, I coming to Austin to race and see my first ever F1 race!!!!

I will be doing alot of 1:1 racing on that track also, can't wait till its done!

Pit-racer 04-14-2011 10:43 AM

Better put my order in for a 1:1 Mazda with a graphite chassis!:nod::tire::tire::batman:

WildBillMassey 04-14-2011 10:44 AM

williamw---I tried to reply to your PM but it said you do not except PM's:lol:

To answer your question, you can go on the site and check live inventory, and if I am out of stock on the particular set you are looking for, I have another order coming from that company next week.;)

williamw 04-14-2011 10:50 AM

That answered my question. My supply of cheap stuff is almost gone, I may pony up for some and see how long they last bashing up and down the parking lots.

Pit-racer 04-14-2011 10:54 AM

jneg here's a pic of an orange one ... they come in different colors for our engines. http://c0456141.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...rbd01291-6.jpg

williamw 04-14-2011 10:59 AM

I think they look trick, but damm they cost a lot, $40.00 at most shops.

Tabushi 04-14-2011 11:04 AM

I dont see the need for INS Boxes on GT Cars, its a +1 rule to people not race.

INS Boxes started their usage in Europe due to heavy EFRA (equivalent to ROAR) regulations over Db noice levels.

And about their performance effect, i do feel that they take power off ... why to complicate this on a class that is looking for it place to grow ?

Jeff, your proposal on tyre traction sauces i think its a very good idea ...

cya !

TommyBlazin 04-14-2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 8963696)

o boy? i have to weigh my car? is that set in stone yet, or is the open class ok with that? thanx, in respose to ins boxes, they dont hamper performance, novarossi and others have done ALOT of testing, and i assure they arent going to make a 900.00 motor and sell something to make it slower, i did my own testing years ago, 1/8 onroad, and saw no difference, i actually think like it says on the mugen ins box "BOOST" that they boost the performance, yep, boost, maybe because the filter is laying down with the wing hitting it? not sure, but i like em better, and team mugen seems to think it helps, as well as team tommy...LOL ..just my .02$ But i assure you i did ALOT of my own testing to confirm this as i also was weery of the idea myself, for 1/8 onroad, they also offer me more reliability of the filter not flying off, i havent run gt yet to tell my opinion if we need them for gt,or not, UNLESS the noise is to loud, but again the GT class runs 21+ size motors, .28 .30 etc etc...so maybe they do?...but i say screw em if its to loud!!! LOLOLLL..no offense to anyone just j/k'n

Jspeed 04-14-2011 12:12 PM

Patricio,
The reason we’re thinking about them for our GT Open class for the Texas race is because of a few reasons:

A lot of the “GT Open” racers are already running on-road .21 engines with the loudest pipes available (some of them are not legal to be used in IFAR, EFRA & ROAR), just like the 1/8 scales cars, but without INS boxes they’re very loud at the track we'll be running at.

The track at Mike’s has the pit area right up against the side of the track on both sides of the driver’s stand. The track is also sandwiched in between two buildings that trap a lot of noise.

After watching these short videos of a only a few GT cars running a qualifier there, you can hear how loud it was. Watch these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7nN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6T-m...eature=related

Now try to imagine three full days of hearing 10 to 12 “Non-INS” equipped GT Open class cars on the track at one time. If the sound didn’t bounce off the two buildings and the pit tables weren’t close to the track, it wouldn’t be much of an issue really.

Add those together and a heavy turnout of GT Open class racers and it could get ruff after a while for everyone.

Those are the reasons we’re considering INS boxes for GT Open only for our race in Texas this year. GT Spec class is fine without INS boxes. Like I said, we're talking about it.

Glad to see you agree about the “no sauce” rule Bro. ;)

Jspeed 04-14-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin (Post 8964287)
o boy? i have to weigh my car? is that set in stone yet, or is the open class ok with that? thanx

That 3500 gram weight is for GT Spec" class only, no weight restriction should exist in GT Open class; gotta leave room for GT Inovations. :lol:

TommyBlazin 04-14-2011 12:19 PM

cool, because this is a race i plan to be at :cool:

jneg 04-14-2011 12:22 PM

Jajaja I have one on my 1/8 pan car and didn't know how they were called. That goes to show how every day we can learn something new.

We only use these when we travel to major races because our track is located in a very open area noise is not a problem for us.

Tommy only Spec cars have a weight limit so us Open class guys can go crazy with the milling machine or the Dremmel.

TommyBlazin 04-14-2011 12:25 PM

i got creative myself, but i didnt dremel anything to make it weaker, i thought "outside" the box, will try to weight tonight, i have to be pretty darn low by now...whats the lightest confirmed so far?

chaderick 04-14-2011 12:28 PM

Are you talking about adding the INS boxes to the SCRS series rules. I personally run a Werks B5 .21 w/ a JP3 pipe. There may have been one or two drivers running something that seemed louder. I have run in the 1/8 off-road at Mike's and I bet you it was way louder in the covered building than what we experienced out on the on-road track a few weeks ago. Sounds to me that the rules committee is made up of some electric guys:o.:D I wasn't aware they had a spec and an open class for the GT cars in the SCRS series.

Jspeed 04-14-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin (Post 8964333)
i got creative myself, but i didnt dremel anything to make it weaker, i thought "outside" the box, will try to weight tonight, i have to be pretty darn low by now...whats the lightest confirmed so far?

Be careful what you cut, one good bump and you might have to try to finish our 45 to 60 minute A Main on three wheels, :lol:

Jspeed 04-14-2011 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by chaderick (Post 8964340)
Are you talking about adding the INS boxes to the SCRS series rules. I personally run a Werks B5 .21 w/ a JP3 pipe. There may have been one or two drivers running something that seemed louder. I have run in the 1/8 off-road at Mike's and I bet you it was way louder in the covered building than what we experienced out on the on-road track a few weeks ago. Sounds to me that the rules committee is made up of some electric guys:o.:D I wasn't aware they had a spec and an open class for the GT cars in the SCRS series.

No, not SCRS rules, just the 2011 Ipanema US GT Nationals rules. ;)

TommyBlazin 04-14-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 8964350)
Be careful what you cut, one good bump and you might have to try to finish our 45 to 60 minute A Main on three wheels, :lol:

thats why i didnt "cut" anything away, rather move stuff around, and remove deck heavy items not needed...im a Slueth...O and the 3-wheel thing, wouldnt be the first time ive done that....:eek:

chaderick 04-14-2011 12:40 PM

I know it is early but what kind of turn out do they have typically for the "open" and "spec" classes.

JLock 04-14-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by chaderick (Post 8964340)

If you are talking about the SWCS onroad series in Texas, there are rules for Spec and Open for GT racing. When we first ran in the series back in 2009, we had both Open and Spec racers and we ran LeMans style which made it very interesting running. This year, everyone is running Open class cars but if folks want to run Spec, rules are available as far as what is and isn't allowed on a Spec car.

As far as the onroad race at Mike's a few weeks back, there were a few in the pits around me that did not like how loud some of the GT cars were as compared to some others due to the pipes being used on the loud cars. Some of those racers brought up the idea of having the GT cars run with the INS box to help bring down the exhaust noise of the louder pipes. Nothing has been etched in stone about it, just something to consider, especially since 8th scale Lola and 200mm cars are now being required to use them at many sanctioned races. The INS box does help cut the decibel levels down in 8th scale Lola but really make the .12s in 200mm cars more quiet (sounds more like F-1 cars now).

Jspeed 04-14-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by chaderick (Post 8964395)
I know it is early but what kind of turn out do they have typically for the "open" and "spec" classes.

It is kind of early to know, really depends on the state of the economy next October. I do have a feeling our race in Texas might be pretty big since GT is getting more popular every day. ;)