R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GT class--buggy-based on road! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/183735-gt-class-buggy-based-road.html)

duneland 09-30-2007 11:03 AM

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Hi!
It is currently under consideration to add a class for these cars, in the Midwest series. I am trying to gage the level of interest. The Midwest series is the oldest R/C racing series in the world (next year is the 39th!). I am wondering how many might be interested in racing one of these machines with us. There are a few to choose from,,, OFNA, Kyosho, Hot Bodies & others produce them.
Please post here, if you have any interest.

all4fun 10-02-2007 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by duneland (Post 3719016)
Hi!
It is currently under consideration to add a class for these cars, in the Midwest series. I am trying to gage the level of interest. The Midwest series is the oldest R/C racing series in the world (next year is the 39th!). I am wondering how many might be interested in racing one of these machines with us. There are a few to choose from,,, OFNA, Kyosho, Hot Bodies & others produce them.
Please post here, if you have any interest.

Ron,

If this class has the level of interest that I think it will have for a new "refreshing" replacement class in the MWS, definately count me in. I would get one of these "1/8th GT" cars in a heart beat. After checking these cars out on the various web sites, they're also not very expensive. I think having this type of new class would be a lot of fun for anyone and would be a great car for a new member to start with. Of course, once a new member gets some "nitro" in there blood........you know darn well that another class would be next on there list. For me, it would be a perfect "fun car" to run as a 2nd class in the series. Just run it as is in the kit....or per any rules that we all agree would be needed. I think we all need to remember that we do this hobby to have fun and to support it. That's exactly why Brian and I are in it.

Dave Berry:nod::nod::D

tomkelley 10-02-2007 04:58 PM

I'd really like to run it, I nearly bought one this year but had no where to race. Better luck next year maybe. I also hear that RC pro series is also interested in it, and they're kicking off a race in Florida this year:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...fest1swmod.jpg

tomkelley 10-02-2007 09:10 PM

I've found some videos. This one is from Kyosho:
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/videos/...INFERNO_GT.wmv

various inferno gt races:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhU2p...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct3Kw...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaAdg...elated&search=

This one is pretty interesting to show how tough they are, this guy jumps a barrier and keeps going around the track after he's turned over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQi7l...elated&search=

duneland 10-03-2007 12:24 PM

Lets hope the guy driving that one doesn't join the series:lol:.

rccobra705 10-03-2007 08:23 PM

GT

Originally Posted by duneland (Post 3730104)
Lets hope the guy driving that one doesn't join the series:lol:.

I support you, but it is a nice track

mtx3ron 10-05-2007 06:20 PM

New Class

I raced two MWS races this year and would be very interested in this as a new class .This would be a great new way to bring in my 16 year old son and for myself as well.

CurveTracer 10-08-2007 07:03 PM

GT Class!!!

I will be purchasing an Inferno GT to run in this class for the 2008 season. I will probably attend 3-4 Midwest series races, but I will race most of the time at Leisure Hours Raceway.

Jspeed 10-08-2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CurveTracer (Post 3746183)
I will be purchasing an Inferno GT to run in this class for the 2008 season. I will probably attend 3-4 Midwest series races, but I will race most of the time at Leisure Hours Raceway.

Thats cool, see you at the "2008 GT National Championships":tire:

TC_Tuner 10-08-2007 08:30 PM

Ron,

I think the addition of a GT class has the potential to be a real success. I feel the main challenge would be rules.

I think you're pretty up to date with the Inferno GT 'spec' class rules at Leisure Hours, and I feel these are pretty good.

I have one of these cars. They look freaking awesome, are affordable, and extremely durable. Perfect for a new person looking to enter the hobby, or a low maintenance second class. The real fun is when you get a few of these on the track that are evenly matched. It would be VERY easy to double the cost of the kit with upgrades and turn these into a tarmac terror, but I think this would quickly grind the class to a halt if this was allowed.

I feel that if a reasonable 'box stock' category was developed, it would be one of the best races of any given weekend.

Off the top of my head, I believe these are the IGT 'spec class' rules at LH (I'm sure I'm missing some):

Stock chassis (springs, shocks, diffs, two speed, clutch, etc.)
stock engine with pull starter intact and functional
Kyosho V slick rubber tires only
Kyosho IGT bodies only (cut to factory cut lines)

Changes Allowed:
brake upgrade
Kyosho sway bars allowed
radio upgrade
front toe, front & rear camber turnbuckles added
gear ratio can be changed (Kyosho intended gears only)

I vote YES, YES, YES for a stock Inferno GT (or comparable)...but please don't make it into multiple classes (stock & modified).

TC_Tuner 10-08-2007 08:39 PM

Alright, I found the post of my local track's IGT spec class rules (I was pretty close :))

I'm not saying this is absolutely what it needs to be, but I really think these are a very manageable set of rules.

Kyosho Inferno Gt Spec Class Rules:
*If it doesn’t say you can do it, you CAN’T DO IT.

Car Rules
1. Upgrade brakes.
2. Upgrade radio gear (servos, linkage, receiver and radio).
3. Add sway bars (front and rear)
4. Shock and diff oils can be changed.
5. Any shock position, caster position, ect., provided by the car (no drilling holes).
6. You may use a starter box, but pull-start must remain intact and operational.
7. Clutch gearing may change (14-15 first gear, 17-18-19 second gear, kyosho only).
8. Replacing threaded links with turnbuckles.
9. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires.

Body Rules
1. Body must be cut on the manufacturer line.
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.
3. Side window may be cut open for fueling.
4. Front window may be cut, but no larger than 3”x3”.
5. Rear window may but cut, but no larger than 2”x2”.
6. You may cut a hole for the glow plug ignitor.

Jspeed 10-08-2007 09:21 PM

GT class rules

What track was that LH?

Those rules are great and along the same lines we at RC Pro Series were thinking. I like it, time for some "Stock Car" R/C road racing!:nod:

mtx3ron 10-09-2007 03:17 AM

gt

I will be getting one to race as a second car for MWS.

Brian Berry 10-09-2007 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by mtx3ron (Post 3747531)
I will be getting one to race as a second car for MWS.

Just an FYI.... I don't think Ron has made a decision yet on if they will be run or not. He has been asking for thoughts and a decision I think has yet to be made. Hate to see you buy one and find out it doesn't happen next year.

Brian Berry 10-09-2007 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Berry (Post 3747788)
Just an FYI.... I don't think Ron has made a decision yet on if they will be run or not. He has been asking for thoughts and a decision I think has yet to be made. Hate to see you buy one and find out it doesn't happen next year.

Sorry, I retract what I said. I guess it would help if this topic was all in one thread. I saw he said it was a class in 2008 back in the 'Midwest Series '08 39th season' thread.

JVStrat 10-09-2007 07:01 AM

First off, I would like to say I do support some kind of entry level on road class. That being said, I see a problem with with IGT rules as proposed here. I have not looked at a Inferno GT car but assume it is pretty much a 3 diff off road car with rubber on road tires. The problem I see is leaking/blown diffs streaming silcone diff fluid on a on road surface causing traction problems for all classes. If you go thru the pits at about any off road race and check car diffs, a good 30-40% of them are leaking.....some leaking so much they have no fluid at all in them. In off road, oil on the track is no big problem as you are pretty much skating around any way. Silicone oil streaks on the driving line of an on road track sounds like big problems to me.

Jspeed 10-09-2007 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JVStrat (Post 3748034)
First off, I would like to say I do support some kind of entry level on road class. That being said, I see a problem with with IGT rules as proposed here. I have not looked at a Inferno GT car but assume it is pretty much a 3 diff off road car with rubber on road tires. The problem I see is leaking/blown diffs streaming silcone diff fluid on a on road surface causing traction problems for all classes. If you go thru the pits at about any off road race and check car diffs, a good 30-40% of them are leaking.....some leaking so much they have no fluid at all in them. In off road, oil on the track is no big problem as you are pretty much skating around any way. Silicone oil streaks on the driving line of an on road track sounds like big problems to me.

The Kyosho Inferno GT cars have front & rear diffs only. The center is a 2 speed transmission.

While damaged or poorly maintained cars can leak on any surface, to single out a new class that holds so much promise for the needed growth of our sport, seems a little short-minded once the actual facts are examined.

Are Sedan cars with 2 diffs currently racing all across America with diff fluids already?

Is Leisure Hours having problems with diff oil now?

Is there really a significant difference between a 2 diff Sedan and a 2 diff Inferno GT?

Not trying to bash or anything, just trying to understand the logic behind your concern. :)

JVStrat 10-09-2007 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 3748351)
Are Sedan cars with 2 diffs currently racing all across America with diff fluids already?

)

By a landslide, the current field of competitive Sedan chassis are miniature replicas of 1/8 chassis designs and belt driven. Sedan folks got away from diffs a long time ago.

Jspeed 10-09-2007 10:01 AM

So wait, you saying Sedans don’t have rear diffs that use oil?

nitsuj2k 10-09-2007 10:19 AM

I raced a few times years ago, and a class like this may get me back into racing. It looks affordable and fun. Would the OFNA car be allowed?

JVStrat 10-09-2007 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 3748576)
So wait, you saying Sedans don’t have rear diffs that use oil?

For the most part......yeah......thats what I'm saying.

Jspeed 10-09-2007 12:10 PM

What chassis do you have?

From what I understand, Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent, Team Magic and XRAY Nitro Sedans all come with diffs. Some are equipped with optional1ways or spools up front and Kyosho did offer a solid rear axle option for their V1RR series chassis, but other than that, what Sedan chassis don’t use at least a rear diff that isn’t filled with oil?

I could be wrong, but all of the competitive Nitro racing Sedans have oil in at least their rear diffs. You might want to check up on that, OK.:)

duneland 10-09-2007 01:56 PM

First, 1/10 sedans have options. Many(if not most) have fluid filled diffs, at least in the rear. Spools are common in the front. Ball diffs on some cars.
I am not leaning toward an IGT spec class. That is too limiting.
It will probably be established something like this;
Any sport level .28 or smaller engine
Any 1/8 buggy chassis converted to on road
Must run a Sedan or Sportscar style body, no buggy bodies or wings
Any radio system
Rubber tires, there are purpose made tires or street treads from several sources
2 speed is allowed

duneland 10-09-2007 02:04 PM

Back to the subject of oil diffs.
I raced buggies for many years, and diff leakage is not that common. I have had many different buggies and rarely had a problem. Silicone oil would be very bad on the asphalt track & must be avoided. We will have to keep an eye on them and any vehicle (1/10 or 1/8) will be black flagged if it is leaking diff fluid.
As previously mentioned, we have had many 1/10 cars on the tracks with fluid filled diffs. These will be the same (only larger).

celeritas 10-09-2007 07:45 PM

Inferno GT

I plan to purchase one for the '08 season. I just hope I can find sombody to race.
I'm one of those "dirty" offroad guys, part of the appeal for me would be a familiaraity with the chassis and clutch.

I currently own a serpent720 that I don't race much, I don't fully understand the clutch, and I'm afraid of breaking the thing.

I would like to see this class gain some traction, I think you may see some offroad guys start showing interest in the onroad scene.

Us MT guys like "big" and "tough" cars. Watching a full field racing together would be an awesome thing. ...Please post links to video from the upcoming race!

I was also looking at 1/6 scale but those cars are too big for our track, and waaay too pricy.

Keep it simple, and cheap!!!! I'm not interested in racing electric sedan! (Battery/Motor Wars :flaming:$$$$$:flaming:)!!!

What was listed in some earlier posts sounds good.:)

This could be the "breakout" class, we're all waiting for. These cars are big enough to look cool on TV. Most of the video I've seen or shot of 1/10 cars, all you can see is a blur of color zipping around the track.

I'm stoked, our club (Midwest Racers Org) is hosting the R/C Pro Series Finals this weekend. I think I know what I'll be talking about with the racers who attend.;)

tomkelley 10-09-2007 07:49 PM

A while back I had some silicone diff 'grease' for my yokomo gt4. Perhaps other grease might work just as well, without the need for leaky oil.

Hopefully, all of the different brand type of cars would prove equally matched, once size, body, engine, and minimum weight rules are enforced. I would hate the selections be limited as there are tire selections from different manufacturers, GRP, PMT, Power racing, and Ofna.

Serpentd 10-09-2007 08:25 PM

Hey everyone. My post is to the regards of the diff fluid/oils. Most people tend to run both a front and rear diff in nitro sedans because of the adjustability in tuning and being easier on your belts. I run both the Serpent 720 and the G4S and they BOTH have a front and rear diff. A front spool can be hard on belts. So running 2 diffs with oil is totally normal. And you can see about 80 of these cars running at a big race and leaky diffs is not an issue I have ever heard of. :)

Another thing, I have 5 1:8 scale buggys and one of the INFERNO GT's (older one for sure) called the Landmax. If for some reason that you did have a leaky diff, the fluid would be trapped in the diff case for the most part. It's not like the diff would be pouring fluid out. If they tend to leak it is usually a very slow leak and gets flung on the diff case and sticks there, not on the race track. All I'm trying to point out is that diff fluid on the track creating traction issues is HIGHLY UNLIKELY, to the point of never happening. Not an issue IMO. ;)

I also agree that this type of class would get a lot of the offroad dudes to make the transition to onroad. They will fall in love with the faster speeds and acceleration do to the higher traction compaired to dirt. Unfortunately no jumps though guys.:lol: I have been giving this class a lot of thought lately because I am an 1:8th scale onroad guy, and we don't tend to stray too much from our beloved cars. However the whole purpose we race is to have fun. I think this new class will be just that, FUN!!!! I support it 100%. Can we run a stock RB C6 in them? I'm not too clear on the power plant restrictions. But I realize that it's new and just starting so there will be lots of brainstorming for the vehicles parts that can and can't be used.:) Keep the suggestions comming, I'm liking what I am hearing and seeing in this thread!:nod:

celeritas 10-09-2007 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JVStrat (Post 3748034)

:weird:

Serpentd 10-09-2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by celeritas (Post 3750440)
:weird:

Me TOO.:weird::lol:

TC_Tuner 10-09-2007 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 3746772)
What track was that LH?

I can't speak for the Leisure Hours track, but from what I know and understand...yes, these are the rules that are being used for an IGT spec class at our track.

So ONE person has a concern regarding diff fluid. :rolleyes: I guess this could be a problem...if it was actually a problem. It's not.

Granted, the IGT class is still in it's infancy at our track, but this is not a problem. Our track is brand new, and mirror smooth. Any fluids leaking from the cars would be quickly and easily spotted. I own two IGT, one older and one newer. Neither leak. This is a non issue.

Serpentd 10-09-2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner (Post 3750484)
I can't speak for the Leisure Hours track, but from what I know and understand...yes, these are the rules that are being used for an IGT spec class at our track.

So ONE person has a concern regarding diff fluid. :rolleyes: I guess this could be a problem...if it was actually a problem. It's not.

Granted, the IGT class is still in it's infancy at our track, but this is not a problem. Our track is brand new, and mirror smooth. Any fluids leaking from the cars would be quickly and easily spotted. I own two IGT, one older and one newer. Neither leak. This is a non issue.

Thank you for backing up that rediculous statement about the diff fluids. Anyway my question is do you HAVE to use a Kyosho kit engine? I have a few but they are older side exhaust (about 3 years old or so), or can there be a list of equivelent engines to the stock Kyosho engine. I'm nottrying to find the most powerful engine or anything like that, just curious if or what other engines fall into this catagory. Honestly I have NEVER even broke in the Kyosho engines that I have that came with my Landmax.

Also, I don't know if anyone would have this info, but the older Landmax had the 2 speed upgrade which I have. However I'm not too sure if I strip one of the gears that the "newer" 2 speed has any compatability. I will try and do some research on this as well as go through my parts supply that has been in a box for 3-4 years.:lol: Wow, I am getting sort of stoked about this. I never had a chance to even run my car. So I get to pull it off the shelf and remember what it looks like.:lol: I think it's a bit "rally" because of the Subaru body. But the body is way killer, like most Kyosho products.

So if anyone out there knows anything about the Kyosho Landmax, my question is if any of the parts are compatable with the newer Inferno GT. They appear to be the same platform, but I'm only going off of momory here. I'll do my research, but thought that I would ask you guys as well. Thanks much for your input. Worse case is I buy the newer version is all. But would be nice to use the car I already own. Later guys!:)

PS. After 3-4 years the diffs are not leaking!!!:D:lol:

Jspeed 10-10-2007 03:03 AM

Well, the guy with the “leaky diff” is either very new to RC or just promoting negativity to try to throw a wrench in the development of the Rally GT classes.

I’m down in Florida and you’d be surprised at some of the lame arguments I’ve had to endure since we started talking about GT racing at our new track in Tampa from the “local yokels”.

Some folks just don’t want RC racing to grow; they want to continue to hide in their little worlds.

duneland 10-10-2007 10:52 AM

Serpentd,

At Leisure Hours, I believe they must use the Kyosho engine that comes with the IGT. The Class for the MWS will be more open, as it will not be a Kyosho spec class. I want to broaden the appeal and perhaps give new life to some older 1/8 buggies.

Solara 10-10-2007 11:30 AM

I must be new about RC....the grease (not oil) that used for DIFF....are they really that THIN that it will drip onto the track..? I have couple gear diff for my serpents...using some 10,000 grease to 100,000 degree grease.......even the lightest one, it is impossible to get the grease to drip onto the ground like SHOCK OIL does.......and my 100,000 degree one, I have to place it into a plastic bag cause I don't even want to TOUCH it....I called it 'GOOP" diff. :D

Arboleda 10-21-2007 11:49 AM

(Double-post).

Looks like it's still developing quite a bit. Most people seem to be in the camp of wanting a spec class (with the Kyosho GT kit and engine) or are looking for an open class where any buggy goes, any engine, any tires, etc.

I think the people who like the idea of a spec class want to keep it from becoming a class with upgrade-creep that can add a lot of $$$ and take too much work to keep up with the next guy. Very understandable, keep the field level and fun. The three Kyosho slicks seems like a good idea because at least you're containing the choice to three tires.

The guys who like the idea of the more open class definition seem to like the idea that offroad guys can repurpose their cars, keep the tire selections wide open, do whatever to the drivetrain, etc. In addition, if people are getting really passionate about the class, it's natural to want to evolve an open class as far as engines and drivetrains and bodies go. This is where I'm at personally.

We're somewhere in between the two classes in Utah. We really don't have enough racers to formalize the two and run them separately. But I've seen the race director run two classes (such as Monster truck and electric 1/10th) together and the neat thing is that the results show up separately in the printouts. For example if you had four open class racers and three spec-class racers, you'd race all seven in the same heats but the two classes get to see their own results. I think at a track like ours in Utah, this may be the best way to go.

Jspeed 10-24-2007 11:03 AM

Here’s an older Buggy a friend is converting into a Rally car.
As the pics show, he didn’t even have to change the shock towers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llypics043.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llypics048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llypics046.jpg

Jspeed 10-25-2007 07:52 AM

Check out these Kyosho Inferno GT rides from Greece:nod:

http://www.tsais.com/gallery/costas/.../am23_1024.jpg

http://www.tsais.com/gallery/costas/.../am01_1024.jpg

http://www.tsais.com/gallery/costas/.../am02_1024.jpg

http://www.tsais.com/gallery/costas/.../am03_1024.jpg

http://www.tsais.com/gallery/costas/.../am19_1024.jpg

http://www.tsais.com/gallery/costas/.../am18_1024.jpg

http://www.tsais.com/gallery/costas/.../am20_1024.jpg

Are You Ready?

all4fun 10-25-2007 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 3796665)
Here’s an older Buggy a friend is converting into a Rally car.
As the pics show, he didn’t even have to change the shock towers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llypics043.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llypics048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llypics046.jpg

Jspeed.............where can the clear Porsche body pictured be purchased from and do you have a part # for it? Thanks.

Arboleda 10-25-2007 08:52 AM

Those pics are cool. I like that they picked the solid color theme and all stuck to it, neat.

JLock 10-25-2007 10:04 AM

The solid colors remind me of the former NASCAR IROC series where the cars were all the same and painted some very unique colors.