R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GT class--buggy-based on road! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/183735-gt-class-buggy-based-road.html)

Pit-racer 04-07-2011 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gashuffer (Post 8921933)
Thats not a dumb question.I want to run an actual turn buckle and with the crank in the center there are clearance issues plus with the way the steering link is attached it looks like it will slip eventually with all the vibration,it's not 100 percent secure. Running a turnbuckle alsontakes away the slop and I think it looks better.:)

Is this what you are trying to do?

gashuffer 04-08-2011 02:13 AM

Yes but on the other side.

TommyBlazin 04-08-2011 05:54 AM

gashuffer do you work at bruckners?

gashuffer 04-08-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin (Post 8933018)
gashuffer do you work at bruckners?

No.

JLock 04-08-2011 06:47 AM

For those thinking of using the OS 19xz Speed, my LHS got one in this week with a store price of $399.99. This is a steep price depending on my LHS sells the OS 21xz Speed for $425.00. It definitely is lighter than the .21 version. Wish I could break it down to look at its internals.

Pit-racer 04-08-2011 07:21 AM

I hear it might be for lighter vehicles, but definitely a good tuning option for 1/8GT'shttp://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...XZ-400x378.jpg. With lightening of today's chassis it might work fine. Steep price though for us who don't have deep pockets.:cool:

jneg 04-08-2011 07:51 AM

I have th .21 version of the Speed (Second Generation). It was very good for the GT but it didn't have the Top end of the Murnan RB. Still it was good with excelent fuel milage. The .19 will have less grunt but it must be very economical in fuel consumption.

TommyBlazin 04-08-2011 08:50 AM

Speed is coming on-road as well, apparentlly at the worlds practice, the fastest lap set,practice there , was by a secret o.s. speed, by a mr.hara:eek: faster on straight than collari, was clocked by reliable source!!

Maximo 04-08-2011 09:56 AM

i can tune you guys some serious GT engines..... consider them a hybrid between onroad and offroad....more grunt then a onroad, and way more top end then a offroad ad killer mileage to boot !

Timmo 04-08-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8934010)
i can tune you guys some serious GT engines..... consider them a hybrid between onroad and offroad....more grunt then a onroad, and way more top end then a offroad ad killer mileage to boot !

What engines do you have in mind.or do we pick anything and send it you.

williamw 04-08-2011 04:33 PM

There are a lot of "engine tuners" out there, what makes yours different? :)

Maximo 04-08-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Timmo (Post 8935243)
What engines do you have in mind.or do we pick anything and send it you.

I have several stout engines that would do great, the choice more depends on the budget

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 8935596)
There are a lot of "engine tuners" out there, what makes yours different? :)

that is a hard question to answer really....not too familiar with the work these other tuners are up to, so I can't comment there...But i can say I am very good at what I do, I work hard, I take care of my customers, I am easy to get along with and my prices are very fair for the level and amount of work being done...All my work is both dyno and track tested, and over the years I have built a very solid reputation with plenty of available feedback...

here is 1 example of my work

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...B5crank014.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...B5crank003.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...sStockB5-1.jpg

TommyBlazin 04-08-2011 07:31 PM

although i have never an any of neils motors, i can vouch for the guy's commitment to what he does, ive seen him over past couple years dedicated to say the least, even helped me out one time, and i wasn't his customer, and honestly he didn't have to go out on a limb for me like he did... oh yea, and a OH YEA, lets not forget the SICK arzzz Custom :tire:Dyno:tire: i saw him give birth:smile: to...lol.. next motor i WILL get from you,he has a stock of motors as well guys:nod: its time i tried a scoop..

YANMAN 04-08-2011 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8935967)
I have several stout engines that would do great, the choice more depends on the budget

that is a hard question to answer really....not too familiar with the work these other tuners are up to, so I can't comment there...But i can say I am very good at what I do, I work hard, I take care of my customers, I am easy to get along with and my prices are very fair for the level and amount of work being done...All my work is both dyno and track tested, and over the years I have built a very solid reputation with plenty of available feedback...

here is 1 example of my work

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...B5crank014.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...B5crank003.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...sStockB5-1.jpg

I have one of Neals engines in my buggy and it is great. Lots of power and great on fuel.

You can not go wrong with anything from Clockwork Engines. All I can say is I have been clocked and I am very happy I did.

Thanks Neal,
Tim

Maximo 04-09-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin (Post 8936315)
although i have never an any of neils motors, i can vouch for the guy's commitment to what he does, ive seen him over past couple years dedicated to say the least, even helped me out one time, and i wasn't his customer, and honestly he didn't have to go out on a limb for me like he did... oh yea, and a OH YEA, lets not forget the SICK arzzz Custom :tire:Dyno:tire: i saw him give birth:smile: to...lol.. next motor i WILL get from you,he has a stock of motors as well guys:nod: its time i tried a scoop..

You try one of my B5's...it will absolutely blow your mind..it will faster, smoother and better on fuel then anything you have to date, that I promise !

TommyBlazin 04-09-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 8938432)
You try one of my B5's...it will absolutely blow your mind..it will faster, smoother and better on fuel then anything you have to date, that I promise !

WoW, i have a impressive line up there mr.? lol.. are they italian made, or what type of metal if not? Ive heard alot of good things, nothing bad, and if your still talking b5 after b6 is out, its gotta be good!, do u have any dyno's on it, say vs. a Particular novarossi to compare, Bonito etc etc? thanks

Maximo 04-09-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin (Post 8938442)
WoW, i have a impressive line up there mr.? lol.. are they italian made, or what type of metal if not? Ive heard alot of good things, nothing bad, and if your still talking b5 after b6 is out, its gotta be good!, do u have any dyno's on it, say vs. a Particular novarossi to compare, Bonito etc etc? thanks

My engine will absolutely roll over a Bonnito..comparing apples to oranges here.......Werk's is Italian, made at the LM factory.......

spooky 1 04-09-2011 10:31 AM

I think we will be in touch soon.

TommyBlazin 04-09-2011 01:36 PM

is that the dyno report from a b5 modded, looks like it.. 1.97hp!!! Dayum thats better than most Modded On road Nova's?

JLock 04-10-2011 07:43 PM

A helpful tip for those that want to get away from the NiMH RX packs but not too keen on using the RX LiPo packs: try the Team Orion LiFe RX packs. I decided to buy one to using in my Open Class GT2 for the race that I had in Porter, TX a couple of weekends ago. After a bunch of practice laps, warm-up laps and three 5 min qualifiers, the pack barely used 250 maH. That was with a Futaba digital steering servo (which are known to suck down a RX pack after marginal runtime). Got similar drain on it after a 30 min main (and the pack is only 1100maH).

Pit-racer 04-11-2011 06:08 AM

I would definitely go with the LiFe rx packs. The biggest I can find in a hump pack is LiFe 6.6V 1700mAh. They do make a 2100mAh but not in hump.http://www.lifesourcebatteries.com/i...urce-chart.gif You can get yours at igthobbies. :)

Maximo 04-11-2011 06:15 AM

if you guys are looking for a real banger on a budget we now have the Argus A52's in stock....These are made in the same factory as the D Alpha engines.... 2.17 HP and 86 oz/in , drilled/filled crank, tungsten slug...for only $225.00

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...vsStockCRE.jpg

Pit-racer 04-11-2011 06:45 AM

Great work there Neal. That sounds like a great buy definitely.

WildBillMassey 04-11-2011 08:22 AM

Gotta remember with LiFe packs is if you are using High Voltage servos, you will not get full potential unless you use Lipo.

Either way, they are better than Nimh for sure. Reedy and Protek both make 1700mah LiFe packs.

JLock 04-11-2011 09:08 AM

Not necessarily true, WB. I have a Futaba digital for steering and Hitec analog high torque for throttle/brake and the LiFe rx pack worked fine with very little current draw. I felt I got full use/potential out of both servos during my quals and main the last SWCS race. I will let folks that want to try the LiFe pack know that you should balance charge it every time as not to jack up the per cell voltage (unbalance the pack).

WildBillMassey 04-11-2011 09:30 AM

Sorry for the confusion, I was speaking about the Hitec servo's that are the 7.4v High Voltage. They need Lipo to reach their full potential, but will also work fine with the LiFe, but at a lower torque and speed rating.

spooky 1 04-11-2011 09:42 AM

I just built up a 2-cell Li-ion pack to try. It's 4000 mah and weighs in 20 grams lighter than Nimh.

JLock 04-11-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey (Post 8946778)
Sorry for the confusion, I was speaking about the Hitec servo's that are the 7.4v High Voltage. They need Lipo to reach their full potential, but will also work fine with the LiFe, but at a lower torque and speed rating.

I don't use HV servos. I feel that it is overkill at times. But, if you use a LiPo rx pack, I would definitely recommend using the HV servos with a receiver that can take 7.4v as to eliminate the voltage regulator and not burn up your radio gear in the car.

bassman2 04-11-2011 12:18 PM

So if we use LiFe pack we'll need to have a charger that charges LiFe pack right?

JLock 04-11-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bassman2 (Post 8947449)
So if we use LiFe pack we'll need to have a charger that charges LiFe pack right?

That is correct. I have a Hyperion charger to charge mine. Many of the new chargers on the market now give one the capability to charge LiFe batteries.

Pit-racer 04-11-2011 12:38 PM

If you don't have a charger yet Bassman, you may use mine at the track to charge up, until you find the one you like. Spooky's pack sound awesome as well.

jneg 04-11-2011 12:55 PM

Most chargers (if not all) that charge Lipo can charge Life. I don't know the exact settings to do that but I've seen lots of racers charge their Life packs like that. I don't use HV servos and I use Lipo packs but since I use Spektrum brand recievers they allow me to use the Lipo without a regulator in place. I have been using this set up for years now and I haven't had any problems with any servo. This just to clarfy can be done ONLY with Spektrum brand recievers. They regulate the voltage output to the servos to 6.0V.

TommyBlazin 04-11-2011 01:44 PM

thats sweet, i run the k.o. propo gear, the receiver can use a lipo with out regulator, but they do not regulate power, i have servo's that can hang, BUT i run LIFE wich most servo's can hang with without a reg as its 6.6 volt, or a goosed up nimh pack. VERY IMPORTANT when running LIFE packs, YOU MUST break them in, for 20 cycles at least, i've Swollen 3 packs by not taking the proper time to just keep bumping em' up, if they drop below 60% for first 20-30 cycles i believe, They CAN and WILL swell, i've done it!! expensive lesson, but i've been running them before protek got there hands on them, and they include that handy info i posted, most likely more accurate also...

bassman2 04-11-2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jneg (Post 8947590)
Most chargers (if not all) that charge Lipo can charge Life. I don't know the exact settings to do that but I've seen lots of racers charge their Life packs like that. I don't use HV servos and I use Lipo packs but since I use Spektrum brand recievers they allow me to use the Lipo without a regulator in place. I have been using this set up for years now and I haven't had any problems with any servo. This just to clarfy can be done ONLY with Spektrum brand recievers. They regulate the voltage output to the servos to 6.0V.

I have a ThunderPower 610C and it does charge LiFe batteries as well. I just called them to confirm. I'll need to set it at "A123" setting for LiFe batteries. Cool, more weight to come off my open car :nod:

Pit-racer 04-11-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by bassman2 (Post 8947837)
I have a ThunderPower 610C and it does charge LiFe batteries as well. I just called them to confirm. I'll need to set it at "A123" setting for LiFe batteries. Cool, more weight to come off my open car :nod:

Your gonna need some to keep it from flying away! :lol::lol:

Pit-racer 04-11-2011 02:10 PM

Brian at ProTwisterMod (PTM) is offering a special this month for us .21-.28 engine users. Default Service pricing.
Till the end of April modding price is $75 then price is as follows.

Performance Modding: $135
Performance Modding + Breakin $155
Bench Breakin & Tune: $45
TKO Ceramic F/R replacement $55
P-S-R rebuild and install $35 plus price of parts.

Maximo 04-11-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pit-racer (Post 8946123)
Great work there Neal. That sounds like a great buy definitely.

thank you ! that also includes a hand fitted piston...so the engine requires very little to breakin as the piston/sleeve is already toleranced

rcmikel 04-11-2011 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my setup from Mexico City. Hope it can help some out.

Jspeed 04-11-2011 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rcmikel (Post 8948926)
Here is my setup from Mexico City. Hope it can help some out.

Nice Bro! ;)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

spooky 1 04-13-2011 09:47 AM

What does your car weigh in at now, Andy? I'm at 3210 on my open setup. My backup car is still 3320. Where's my dremmel, I would like to take another half pound off this car.