Wiki Posts
Search

The End of Nitro????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
Unlike nitro these new gas engines should hold a tune much better than a nitro. But I have a novarossi p5xlt that will literally hold a tune all summer long
Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Anyone else who can't or don't want to run nitro due to the fumes ? Castor oil and gas I can deal with but nitro wipes me out. Iv'e never even thought about what I would do IF nitro wasn't a problem.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Are you sniffing the fumes? I can tell you gas and diesel exhaust can be very strong too. So this goofy BS about nitro fumes
Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

its not the fume. but the size of the particle of t he emission itself that matter.

for example diesel emission had a bigger particle than any 2 strokes engine.

smaller particle means easier to get into lungs-alveoli and binds through our blood.

I like nitro, but i always to prevent from direct inhaling those smoke.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Silo
That's right now, i'm pretty sure alternatives will be produced once gas becomes popular.

I don't know what you nitroheads are defending to be honest. If in the future, gas engines get the same power and become cheaper to run what the problem? You'll still be running internal combustion engines and at a lower cost.

Lower cost = more people
more people = more fun

It might be me but I just don't see what you guys are fighting for.
It's naive wishful thinking to think gas will ever match the power and efficiency of nitro in 1/8 scale. If it were going to happen, it already would have. HPI's Octane release was delayed what, three years - and it now that it's out it barely works! This new Losi engine does look kind of interesting, but it is FAR from replacing a decent budget Italian engine or even just an Alpha or Argus for ex. in terms of power, size and weight, etc.. Plus it is hilarious that you need $17 of oil per gallon for it....

Nitro is doing just fine, despite what a few goofball nitro-hating wannabe' prophets blabber on about. That so much of the impetus against it is based on and idiotic exaggeration of how "hard" nitro supposedly is stupid and annoying to those of us who get along just fine with nitro, thanks. Equally so is the emphasis on price, frankly. Yes, nitro is expensive(I pay €11 per liter...). But it is an outright lie afaic to claim that electric is meaningfully cheaper, and at this stage gas is not a viable alternative, and there's really NO evidence yet that it will be any time soon, if ever.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Eivind E
but the tuning appears to be exactly the same, hsn and lsn, why would it be easier?
These people seem deluded.
Because with a glowplug the tunning is also affecting the ignition timing while with gas engines the ignition is a constant factor because it is electric by a crankshaft sensor.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:18 AM
Tech Champion

And that's precisely where the problem is with the Octane apparently(CDI issues..), and Losi has already made an announcement about what needs to be tuned differently on the XXL-2 - which hasn't even come out yet.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silo
That's right now, i'm pretty sure alternatives will be produced once gas becomes popular.

I don't know what you nitroheads are defending to be honest. If in the future, gas engines get the same power and become cheaper to run what the problem? You'll still be running internal combustion engines and at a lower cost.

Lower cost = more people
more people = more fun

It might be me but I just don't see what you guys are fighting for.
Wait, stating the actual cost of fuel is defending? That's news to me.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It wont become more powerful. Theres about 5X the energy potential in nitro than there is in gas. So you would need a gas engine to be 5X the size to have the same power output.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
It's naive wishful thinking to think gas will ever match the power and efficiency of nitro in 1/8 scale. If it were going to happen, it already would have. HPI's Octane release was delayed what, three years - and it now that it's out it barely works! This new Losi engine does look kind of interesting, but it is FAR from replacing a decent budget Italian engine or even just an Alpha or Argus for ex. in terms of power, size and weight, etc.. Plus it is hilarious that you need $17 of oil per gallon for it....

Nitro is doing just fine, despite what a few goofball nitro-hating wannabe' prophets blabber on about. That so much of the impetus against it is based on and idiotic exaggeration of how "hard" nitro supposedly is stupid and annoying to those of us who get along just fine with nitro, thanks. Equally so is the emphasis on price, frankly. Yes, nitro is expensive(I pay €11 per liter...). But it is an outright lie afaic to claim that electric is meaningfully cheaper, and at this stage gas is not a viable alternative, and there's really NO evidence yet that it will be any time soon, if ever.
I'm not wishing anything, i'm trying to end this pointless thread.

If gas gets worked out and is cheaper, nitro is dead.
If not, nothing changes.

At the end of the day more options is never a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Hoese37
It wont become more powerful. Theres about 5X the energy potential in nitro than there is in gas. So you would need a gas engine to be 5X the size to have the same power output.
Are you an engineer? Have you done the math and come to this conclusion? This thread is full of these and I'm pretty sure you guys know nothing.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

What does "worked out" even mean? For your outlandish claim of the death of nitro to ever materialize, among other factors, gas would have to match or exceed the power of nitro.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN. If it could, we would have already seen far more progress and signs that this could be realistic. Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - suggests this will ever be the case. It's pie in the sky.

Most stock 5th scale gassers are utterly boring and lack speed. Only with super expensive tuning and pipes do they start to get interesting...

There are other factos too. Silly expensive oil needed for the gas engines.. Weight.. Tuneability.. 8th scale needs revs, period.. Plus, there is already a huge market of great nitro engines available. More power than a buggy or in many cases a truggy really needs, for good prices, dead easy to tune, reliable, etc.. The only thing to compete with that right now is wishful thinking.

And it really does seem that this wishful thinking is an extension of the resentment of people who could never figure out nitro and so have a chip on their shoulders about it, and go on to open stupid threads like this and exaggerate out of all proportion how "difficult" nitro supposedly is. Nitro is not going to die, nor does it need to. It's a far cry from the rocket science these nitro-haters make it out to be. It's just not that hard. Yeah, nitro fuel is expensive. But it's still at a level people can live with. And come on, this is a hobby in which people buy motor homes to travel to races, have entire second kits for spares, buy hundreds of dollars in "tuning" parts which really are of highly doubtful necessity(won't mention brands..), etc.. The whole hobby's a money pit - and that goes for electric and gas and helicopters and whatever else.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Are you people that dumb? I'm done talking, re-read my statement until it makes sense.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Most stock 5th scale gassers are utterly boring and lack speed. Only with super expensive tuning and pipes do they start to get interesting...
Used to think the same thing until I actually started running 1/5..
Besides, some make that same claim about nitro, but that doesn't have much to do with this thread either..

As far as 1/8 petrol goes, (specifically the Dynamite) I can't help but have doubts about this "having to run brand x oil at y pecentage" exclusively, or the motor will 'blow up' talk. IDK, maybe I'm totally wrong. I have read what the recommendations are by the manufacturers, but will be interested to see how that actually pans out once people start running these little motors.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

There is a perception in 8th scale nitro that you have to either have expensive $500 Speeds or equally expensive modded engines, which IMO is also nonsense.. - at least for %90 of the people out there. You can have an excellent $200 or less Argus, Alpha, Werks, RB Blast, P5XLT, etc.. with power to spare. I remember a couple years ago seeing sponsored guys with their Piccos having to detune them basically to be able to keep things under control. Until the companies caught on and started selling fancy "factory-modded" versions that did that for you - for double the price.. In any case, nowadays it seems the high-end high-dollar engines are all about being "smooth" and "linear" and having 30 seconds more run time or whatever.. If you're at the very highest level of racing, OK. But for most people unnecessary. And in any case no more powerful...
Old 06-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So nitro does have 5 x the power potential, but many people running nitro only use 20% nitro.......and us racers tend to use 30% nitro.......... So even tho nitro methane has all that potential over petrol we are still mostly running methanol in our engines.....So the difference is big, but its nowhere near as big as if we were running pure nitro methane..... J

just watch it wont be long till guys will be doing methanol conversions on their new Octanes to get more power !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.