The End of Nitro????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The End of Nitro????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Tech Champion

Same goes for all the uninformed, truly clueless nonsense spread by the (predomimamtly newb) nitro-haters...
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Why has this even turned into "that old debate". The thread was asking about thoughts on whether Gas was going to replace Glow. Nothing to do with Hair dryers so lets just all move on, beside, I've gotta go run in my new Novarossi Bonito
Old 06-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Apologies if my post seemed like hating. That was not intended. I respect people's wishes to run whatever they enjoy. I was only trying to point out that electric is not "a lot" cheaper than nitro. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Hot Bodies D413. That buggy looks amazing and I've been a nitro guy for 15 years.
You're good.....my post was directed towards some of the other clowns in this thread.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is my experience.
If either electric/nitro are both in good running condition maintenance is about the same. I run nitro and yesterday I didn't touch a needle all day. I didn't have to charge. I have used the same plug for about 4 gallons. Same clutch bearings for about 6(tko clutch bearing ate Awsome). All I did was fill up. My advantage is I can get a lot of practice time. No charging just refuel and go. I get about 11 mins per tank which allows me to run with the electrics.

The good electric guys with great cars all do is charge. Practice time is limited unless you have 2 or 3 batteries. More sophisticated electronics tend to fail more often under extreme vibration.

Most of the electric guys I have spoken with have destroyed a speed controller within the last two years. One guy has been through 4esc. The motors seem to hold up pretty well. Definitely more reliable than an nitro engine. Battereies seem to be hit or miss. Either you have a good one or junk. Maybe just bad luck and a wire lead snapped off and its not repairable.

So, the main disadvantage of the nitro is the fuel/noise/complexity, but once I have been through 5 gallons of fuel what are the odds the same electric guy has had to buy a battery, speed controller or motor? Pretty good oddsand those cost more than a gallon of fuel.. Especially on the club level.

There really isn't that much of a difference pros and cons wise.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Franchise
This is my experience.
If either electric/nitro are both in good running condition maintenance is about the same. I run nitro and yesterday I didn't touch a needle all day. I didn't have to charge. I have used the same plug for about 4 gallons. Same clutch bearings for about 6(tko clutch bearing ate Awsome). All I did was fill up. My advantage is I can get a lot of practice time. No charging just refuel and go. I get about 11 mins per tank which allows me to run with the electrics.

The good electric guys with great cars all do is charge. Practice time is limited unless you have 2 or 3 batteries. More sophisticated electronics tend to fail more often under extreme vibration.

Most of the electric guys I have spoken with have destroyed a speed controller within the last two years. One guy has been through 4esc. The motors seem to hold up pretty well. Definitely more reliable than an nitro engine. Battereies seem to be hit or miss. Either you have a good one or junk. Maybe just bad luck and a wire lead snapped off and its not repairable.

So, the main disadvantage of the nitro is the fuel/noise/complexity, but once I have been through 5 gallons of fuel what are the odds the same electric guy has had to buy a battery, speed controller or motor? Pretty good oddsand those cost more than a gallon of fuel.. Especially on the club level.

There really isn't that much of a difference pros and cons wise.
You seem to be looking at the worst side of electric and the best side of nitro..not really a good comparison....you would be silly if you didnt have 2 or 3 batteries charged the night before at least in electric so that would keep you going all day with charging in between racing/bashing.
I think nitro is resisting hard but electric will eventually take over and if the sport is to grow we need to embrace it
Old 06-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
I would race rc with solar panels if they were as fast as nitro and electric.. Honestly guys you should stop debating about which is better because it's totally subjective. I raced e-buggy for 4 years, now I'm racing nitro also and I like both for very different reasons. Running electric helps for nitro and the contrary is also true. If you really want to learn you try new things and don't waste your time and energy to bash a category, some drivers, a company or whatever.. that's just the expression of frustration. If you're happy in what you do you don't need to convince the others to do the same. Let people have fun how they want and do YOUR thing. If you can share it, it's even better.
Best post in this thread.

I race both electric and nitro. I really enjoy both.

Hating on one side or the other of this hobby only hurts this hobby more than it helps it. We definitely need more friendly and helpful people regardless of what brand they drive, what powers the car etc.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

The Dirt Nitro Challange says it all. I run both electric mugen nitro 7 and 6T. Some like hot rods some like the Prius. Its all preference. Back to the topic at hand what is the weight and RPM range of the new gas motor? Every weekend I run a hybrid. fuel and electric its called "Generator 2.0 v3r" It's connected to an electric 3 power option speed control running like 4500rpms.............. "fan"
Old 06-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by malcnz
I think nitro is resisting hard but electric will eventually take over and if the sport is to grow we need to embrace it
Nah..

Nitro will almost always have a niche in the sport, at least as long as there are 1/1 vehicles powered by combustion engines. Nitro=realism. I think embracing all of the various technologies available in the hobby (including smaller scale petrol) is the key to growing the sport and attracting newcomers who will undoubtedly be attracted to rc for a variety of reasons. I'll get off my soap box now..lol..

Last edited by FLDan; 06-09-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Nitro will always have a place in the sport because of sponsorships. With at least 8-10 prominent engine manufacuters, err 'brands', and at least 5 fuel brands, there is a constant influx of money to keep people interested. There are what, 2-4 at most prominent electric brands? The competition level is just not the same.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go to a local track, see which class draws and keeps a crowd. Telling people that don't know anything to take electric seriously is a joke. They might end up going electric after failing to run nitro, but combustion engines have a special place in men's hearts.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silo
Go to a local track, see which class draws and keeps a crowd. Telling people that don't know anything to take electric seriously is a joke. They might end up going electric after failing to run nitro, but combustion engines have a special place in men's hearts.
AMEN!!!

Thread can now be closed
Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gas won't grow into larger than backyard bashers class. At least unlit ROAR/EFRA/others gonna make gas engines legit for racing and engine brands begin to make racing gas engines. But due to fire hazard and impossibility to run indoor gas races i don't think it will happen soon. Just my 2c
Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nitro vs electric.

I have ran both for years and both are good but nitro wins for me if there was a place to race.

Since the introduction the Lipo and Brushless electric is a touch cheaper but the difference is trivial.

Biggest cost by far for either nitro and electric is tyres.

If you want to reduce cost we need cheaper and or longer lasting tyres.

Tuning both to be fast requires just as much time and effort.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by malcnz
You seem to be looking at the worst side of electric and the best side of nitro..not really a good comparison....you would be silly if you didnt have 2 or 3 batteries charged the night before at least in electric so that would keep you going all day with charging in between racing/bashing.
Yeah it would appear so if your blind and completely biased. I said "the good electric guys with great cars all they do is charge." That's what you do right? Charge and go.
No starter box, no ignitor, no screwdriver. That's definitely a pro.

My first words were "this is my experience." Technically I'm speaking for myself. I believe I'm above the curve. I know how to tune. I am not speaking for all nitro. There a several cons to nitro. At this stage of my hobbyness(I made that word up but is sounds good right?)fuel is my only con. A few years ago I had some serious nitro issues.

I know the pros of eeeeee. If/when I get one I'll see what else I can see. Hahahah.
You love your E
I love my nitro.
But really, who cares.

Hobbyness; 1. the amount of knowledge, experience, wisdom one has accumulated participating in a specific leisure activity.

Haha.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Silo
So true. It's very apperant when we get lookers.
The e guys at our track know this.
Im sure you can't appreciate one until you have one but to passers by Eeeee's are just large Walmart rc cars.

But a nitro,,,,,,,,,,,,they know thats for real bru!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.