Search

New XRAY 808

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
Steve Walters: Will do cap'n!

The only reason your screws would strip out is if your tools are old.

Yeah, I cheated on mine...
Clutch setting 3 on the M3 screws and setting 4 on the M4!!!
I was worried about the tools called my wrists, thank you very much!

I think I'll head over to A Main & get that tap thingie with the handle sold separately.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
So far during the build, the inner hinge pin brace holes for the hing pin are not lined up, so the hinge pin binds. I have to force the hinge pin toward the center to fully insert it. Also, the front diff case keys are off it seems, as when installing the front diff, the front hinge pin brace needs to be pushed over about 2mm to key into the front of the chassis correctly. This is not the Xray build quality I have been expecting.

The diff shims should have been placed with the diffs IMO. Also, hopefully the Xray grease containers come filled more. The container is already pretty small, and having it filled about 1/4 of the way is not acceptable IMO. That is ok for a bag of Lays chips though.

I haven't finished the build yet, but I will sure report what other items disappoint me. I would say SO far that discounting the above items, my Losi went together as well, both are solid kits when assembling.
What's the deal with the front diff case this is the first I've heard?! Can you send pictures?
These are all molded parts and should be exactly the same. As far as the pins go, they are supposed to be tight, the arm will rotate on the pin.

As far as the grease goes, sorry, I have about 15 little jars of the stuff I can send you.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (94%+)

So far during the build, the inner hinge pin brace holes for the hing pin are not lined up, so the hinge pin binds. I have to force the hinge pin toward the center to fully insert it. Also, the front diff case keys are off it seems, as when installing the front diff, the front hinge pin brace needs to be pushed over about 2mm to key into the front of the chassis correctly. This is not the Xray build quality I have been expecting.

The diff shims should have been placed with the diffs IMO. Also, hopefully the Xray grease containers come filled more. The container is already pretty small, and having it filled about 1/4 of the way is not acceptable IMO. That is ok for a bag of Lays chips though.

I haven't finished the build yet, but I will sure report what other items disappoint me. I would say SO far that discounting the above items, my Losi went together as well, both are solid kits when assembling.
has anyone else had these issues? ours went together flawlessly
Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

check the front hinge pin holder.. it may be upside down.. I did this to mine and didnt realise it till I went to put the susp onto the chassis!!.. the u in the front brace is removed to accept the chassis... if its not upside down check the rear .. something is ascrue!!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Rocco, thanks for the reply. Ill PM you a pic. I first want to double check that nothing is over-tightened causing any warping.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

I almost edited my post to say that the only thing that I could think of that would cause what you're talking about is over-tightening the screws...
Old 05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

My 808 was such a smooth build, it almost built itself. No quality issues with my build in anyway, shape, or form.

What a machine.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Well, i will tell you. I am all but done with my assembly & I have nothing but admiration for this kit.
i have had very little difficulty. I have read the instruction & followed to the T. I was even amazed how clean the composite parts break from the tree. I use a cheap paint brush to apply the graphite grease & still have plenty left. I made one mistake & put the front diff in reverse, so it would not tighten down. This was easy to correct as the front comes right off without even touching the tower.

The arms were a snap. I did use a drill bit as suggested to clean the hole up & I kind of torqued the pin nuts to get even play. One thing I had a problem with was the rear sway, if I used the outside arm hole (i think) it seem to not let the rear arm drop any more than level, but worked that out using the inside holes.

Its sometimes tricky to identify the exact screw length. the actual size guide helps, but I would still count all screws for each assembly.

BC
Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Good afternoon everyone i just wanted to take a minute and give some props to the xray team and to the guys at RcAmerica, your doing a great job the new 808 is looking really good and your taking care of your customers (BIG UPS TO YOU GUYS THATS WHAT RACING IS ALL ABOUT TEAM WORK AND HAVING FUN)..i havent seen the 808 being run to much over here in Socal do to it just coming out but from what i have seen it looks and seems like this car is going to take off over here in the Socal region..i am sure most of you have seen the video of the 808 on Undergroundrc.com ... i was their and got to see the car alot more than what you see in the video and help the owner set it up with the limited options we had...The car was a little bouncy in the rear with the stock set up, we changed couple minner things and the car worked alot better ,shock oil and movement on the arms.. its very light and very fast especialy out of the whole, he tossed that buggy around like a sportsman driver does and it didnt brake,bend or anything i was impressed ,heard alot about xray durability but had to see it for myself and i did and was very happy when did..anybody have any set up ideas for our local Socal boys i know xray has set ups but i think their more for tracks outside of the Socal region ????

Wheres Kinwald ????
Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Good afternoon everyone i just wanted to take a minute and give some props to the xray team and to the guys at RcAmerica, your doing a great job the new 808 is looking really good and your taking care of your customers (BIG UPS TO YOU GUYS THATS WHAT RACING IS ALL ABOUT TEAM WORK AND HAVING FUN)..i havent seen the 808 being run to much over here in Socal do to it just coming out but from what i have seen it looks and seems like this car is going to take off over here in the Socal region..i am sure most of you have seen the video of the 808 on Undergroundrc.com ... i was their and got to see the car alot more than what you see in the video and help the owner set it up with the limited options we had...The car was a little bouncy in the rear with the stock set up, we changed couple minner things and the car worked alot better ,shock oil and movement on the arms.. its very light and very fast especialy out of the whole, he tossed that buggy around like a sportsman driver does and it didnt brake,bend or anything i was impressed ,heard alot about xray durability but had to see it for myself and i did and was very happy when did..anybody have any set up ideas for our local Socal boys i know xray has set ups but i think their more for tracks outside of the Socal region ????

Wheres Kinwald ????
Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Bigcheese and C.Poh, thanks for the kind words, they seem to be few and far between on the forums nowadays!!!

C.Poh, I ran my car out at SilverState and wound up with this setup that I ran at the race after SilverState as well, and worked very well there too. Feel free to check it out.

My Suggested Starting Setup
Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

We not only run these cars, but we also build & paint. That aspect of it is some thing I really enjoy & it is still a large part of the hobby. Its a fact that I work on them more than I run, but I love it man!!! Go Xray!!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Agreed. My favorite part is seeing if the wrenching and changes I have made make the car better on the track. Shoot, I really sometimes wouldn't mind just being a pit guy. Its like playing with Legos ALL the time!!! I loved those things as a kid.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

<--- Lego KING when I was little! Hahaha! We are the same in the hobby, the kids who loved legos, but what separates us from the 'rc airplane guys', is we just tried to build them faster than the next person, haha!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On the subject of the small shims for the diff that are explained on page 5, IMO, it is not neccesary to use them at first build, and that is why they are not shown on page 6. As the diff gears(ring and pinion) wear in, then you may need to shim the ring and pinion tighter to tighten up sloppy mesh. I MAY BE WRONG. Or maybe I just got lucky cause mine seem perfect w/out using any shims. (I have had to do this w/ almost every buggy I've ever run....Ass. Mugen, Jammin, Kyosho, Etc.....

Rocco, feel free to correct me if I am wrong or misread the directions.

I haven't heard much talk of clutch shoes and springs. Any body try different springs????

Thanks, Dan Reino

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.