Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Cheers for the heads up, not much point running the included filter, cant get spare ones. I was goin to try run the x6 elbow with the rest of the air filter mount off the 5R with 5R powersaver filters.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by rcgreg
Something IMPORTANT I learned today.... I saw a guy's motor get trashed because of dirt getting in through the filter.

The inner filter is too short....Dirt creeps in from the outer edge (the sides is what I guess you could call them). I took mine apart and it looked ok, but I only ran it for a tank and a half. I would run another filter set up if I were you guys until this issue gets addressed. And before you ask, yes it was on tight, yes it had filter oil and yes it was installed correctly.
This could be the case as the filter seems rather tight on the assembly and may bunch up.
When i put the air filter together i made sure the filter spread out and I always flood the ends with extra oil just to help them seal
This being said im going to keep a close eye on it now!
Cheers
Braz.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

I know there are a ton of pics of peoples buggies, but i was wondering what were the most significant changes Mugen decided to change with the all mighty 5R...so i took some comparison pics...i have to admit, its pretty significant just by comparing the chassis and diffs alone!

If you look at the chassis, Mugen didnt just go long like most were assuming, they actually decreased the actual width of the chassis, and decided to move the motor assembly forward, and ontop of all that, they didnt even change the chassis length at all! also it seems to be hard anodized, which looks awesome!

Also they reduced the weight where it counts basically, right on the drivetrain (which is no secret) but when you add up all the numbers, its allot considering where they reduced their weight.

I compared the old center diff to the new center diff, so everybody can get a general idea on how much they took off overall. but on the center diff alone, it was a 10 gram difference, so if you times that by 3, thats nearly 30 grams right off the drivetrain alone, thats not including the driveshafts and so on, as there was some weight removed from those areas as well. anyhow here are some pics so you guys can get a general idea of what i am talking about:

Old:

New:
Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

here are the weight differences between the 2 chassis...I realize the used 5R chassis has dirt and all, but keep in mind its a used chassis that was wore thin...like razor thin in the rear lol so the actual stock 5R chassis may weigh even more. but here are the weight differences between the 2:

Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default X6 Diffs are lighter and heavier.

Jesse,
Good visual on some of the X6 weight reduction.
I would like to point out one other innovation with the new X6 Diffs. Yes, your pictures show the overall weight reduction. Yet, the design is also beefed-up. Seems like a paradox from a distance. Diff Cups, Cross Shafts and Satellite Gears are all unchanged. But, those old 2.0mm drive pins the light-switch-throttle truck drivers kept shearing-off have been replaced with new 2.2mm Pins. The 18T Sun Gears are new with a larger slot to fit the larger 2.2mm Pin. The new 18T Sun Gears also appear to be cut slightly deeper making the teeth bigger. The new 44T Spiral cut Ring gear, 46T Spur and both types of out drives have been lightened more than 10 grams. Because the new bigger drive pins are heavier. Those tricky Mugen designers snuck-in a weight increase!

Jesse, Do you have different weight oil in those diffs? HeHeHeHe.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We weighed some cars at the races this weekend. Losi eight was 7 LB 9 oz with half tank of fuel, Kyosho MP9 7 LB 10 oz dry fuel tank, and my MBX 6 was 7 lb 7oz with half a tank of fuel!!!

I ended up going to 350 front, 300 rear for the shocks. And dropped the front diff to 4000 and the rear to 1200, and also brought the rear camber links in one hole. These were all changes from the stock setup which I tried first. I felt the car handled bumps and rotated better after these changes.

I have never driven an offroad car that comes out of the hole as hard as this one does. Pretty fun!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by slow coach
I think i mentioned this earlier in the thread about no grooves being cut in the outdrives, the UK importer cut his own as he was concerned about them binding up after being run a while, he also mentioned the lack of grooves to Mugen will have to see if this a mistake or if they were meant to be like that, i may well add the grooves after all it will remove a bit of weight

Disregard the above post the grooves arent needed at all after a bit of fact finding they are meant to be like that.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

actually i took out all the diff oil from the old center diff and left the 5k diff oil in the new one...

so if i added a small amount of diff oil, that might raise it up a tad bit for the old one, but i made sure i took that into account lol

and yea, you really dont need grooves in your outdrives, the Xray doesnt have grooves as well and runs just fine!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Smith
We weighed some cars at the races this weekend. Losi eight was 7 LB 9 oz with half tank of fuel, Kyosho MP9 7 LB 10 oz dry fuel tank, and my MBX 6 was 7 lb 7oz with half a tank of fuel!!!

I ended up going to 350 front, 300 rear for the shocks. And dropped the front diff to 4000 and the rear to 1200, and also brought the rear camber links in one hole. These were all changes from the stock setup which I tried first. I felt the car handled bumps and rotated better after these changes.

I have never driven an offroad car that comes out of the hole as hard as this one does. Pretty fun!!
What sort of track surface were you racing on.
Cheers
Braz
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesse
here are the weight differences between the 2 chassis...I realize the used 5R chassis has dirt and all, but keep in mind its a used chassis that was wore thin...like razor thin in the rear lol so the actual stock 5R chassis may weigh even more. but here are the weight differences between the 2:

That 5R chassis must be REALLY worn. Brand new MBX5R chassis weighs 313 grams so the new chassis is a LOT lighter (51 grams to be exact).
Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Braz
What sort of track surface were you racing on.
Cheers
Braz
Very loamy, lots of sand. I just finished cleaning my car up!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Addict

LOL trust me Tony, i ran some miles on that thing lmao i figured it was heavier than that.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Tech Initiate

I saw the new car at my track this last weekend it looked nice cant wait till I can order one
Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

What tires are in the kit?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

PL Crimes M2 with sick rims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.