Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Guys. I had to use all of the shims on the end of the clutch bell to get a tick on it. Is that normal. It went on an extech .21 engine.

I had to use 7 shims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do you have a shim behind the collet? 7 shims is alot but if it works it works. Just make sure the bell is lined up with the spur correctly
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
do you have a shim behind the collet? 7 shims is alot but if it works it works. Just make sure the bell is lined up with the spur correctly
Yes it came with two of those thick shims but the book shows to use one. So I did use one shim behind the collect.

I thought it was a lot as well but if I dont do it the bell has too much play.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

So here is the deal. I had to take the shim behind the collet off. I noticed that there was too big of a gap in between the fly wheel and the engine bearing. The fly wheel spins freely without the shim.

I have the flywheel mounted to a trinity extech. The shaft is fairly long. By not using the shim behind the collet it threw my clutch bell to spur gear off.

I had to use two shims in front of the clutch nut so that I could get a proper fit on the clutch bell to the spur gear.

This has created a gap in between the clutch bell and the flywheel. Please see the pic and let me know if this gap is ok.

It was either the gap in front of the front engine bearing or the gap on the clutch bell to the flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MBX6-att_1270361629098.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

what flywheel are you using? when we got a ninja and mugen flywheel, it came with a steel collet not the normal brass one, and at first we used the brass one and had alot of shims and offset like yours, we then re did it with the steel one, it fit alot better
Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by akiyama77
what flywheel are you using? when we got a ninja and mugen flywheel, it came with a steel collet not the normal brass one, and at first we used the brass one and had alot of shims and offset like yours, we then re did it with the steel one, it fit alot better
Its the mugen flywheel that came with the kit. Is the gap on the clutch bell to the fly wheel ok????

Here is exact gap I had in between the fly wheel on the front engine bearing before I took the shim off that goes before the collet. This is not my pic but it looked the same. I got this pic off a site that showed how to properly install a clutch.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MBX6-img_4150.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 02:25 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its the mugen flywheel that came with the kit. Is the gap on the clutch bell to the fly wheel ok????

Here is exact gap I had in between the fly wheel on the front engine bearing before I took the shim off that goes before the collet. This is not my pic but it looked the same. I got this pic off a site that showed how to properly install a clutch.
The gap is OK!! As long as the clutchbell lines up nicely with the spur. I use the ofna flywheel, and I prefer it over the mugen setup. I actually have about 3 brand new mugen flywheels for sale if somebody wants them!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Having a tough time with the throttle and break linkage.

By the way the dynamite linkage does not fit. The ball ends on the breaks gets in the way of the top diff brace not allowing the break shafts to move back and forth.

I spent hours tonight trying to get the linkage down with no luck. The problem I am having is that when I press the throttle the bars are moving the break links too much causing the breaks to engage on throttle.

Off throttle it frees up and when the break is depressed its fine. Its only when I press the throttle down the breaks will engage slightly causing drag.

How do I fix this?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Dal
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just bend the steel rods, up on top and down on the bottom. only a little bit.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Yeah, your flywheel/bell is fine. The bell is not meant to reach any farther, as long as no part of the clutch shoe is exposed you're good to go. Also make sure the bell floats about .5mm on the shaft so things still fit right when the car is hot and flexing.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have resisted trying the mbx6 for a year, I finally made the switch and I can honestly say I am very pleased. It turns, jumps, accelerates, and corners very well. ( thanks AL )

Scott
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Here are some pics of my linkage.

the left one is off throttle and the right one is on throttle. Can you see any problems. I have never had a problem with on throttle until now.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MBX6-att_1270406453728.jpg   Mugen MBX6-att_1270406511512.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

the left one is off throttle and the right one is on throttle. Can you see any problems. I have never had a problem with on throttle until now.
From the pics. it looks like the linkage is dragging on the brake rods. The linkage should slide through the loops or holes freely when you apply the throttle. Make sore the loop of your brake rod is straight up and down. It looks like the top one is tilted, this could be your prob.
Hope this helps.

Scott
Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

It also looks like you could flip the plastic part that mounts to the servo arm it would make a straighter shot and less bind
Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Remove the alum stopper on the throttle linkage, its making the spring bind.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.