Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Originally Posted by *Topher*
If you are refering to me.

My problem is getting the car to turn into the corner without having to completely lift off the throttle in entry and mid-corner. I can't seem to get the car to drive through the corners. If I apply any power it starts a push.
"If I apply any power it starts to push"

Try reducing your front droop.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RBMike
Maybe your clutch shoes need the corners cleaned, you should check them every couple of days (or more often). If the aluminium starts to squish over the edges they can start to hang up on the fly wheel or clutch bell causing your engine to stall when you let off the gas.
The shoes had about 40 minutes on them and checked them for mushrooming before switching to a brand new 14 tooth clutch bell. Same green/gold springs I have been running for about 2 gallons. Bearings were all good.

The first tank everything was fine and car drove great. Then with no changes except for a fill up engine dies when I hit the brakes or sits waiting to be marshalled. Also seems to be fine after engine has cooled off but once warmed up it dies when I hit the brakes. I'm going to switch to all gold and see what happens. I checked the engine and tank for leaks and found no leaks.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paulybehaved
Is this the "Dow 44" grease that you recommend for bearings? I was using green slime, would this be better?

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?R=390EN
I have not used this on clutch bearings yet. But it looks like it would work. But whats better oil or grease? I'll give grease a try and see how it works.

I don't know what green slime is but I would probably just use it on shock orings.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Slow...green slime is a grease specifically for rubber lubrication. Fork seals,"O" rings etc.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

does anyone have any input on my post above
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Peter Martin
Slow...green slime is a grease specifically for rubber lubrication. Fork seals,"O" rings etc.
Peter, I meant I don't know what big bucket they repackage it from. Does anyone know where it originates from.

BTW, when I get a new set of bearings I usually pull one cover off and flush the bearing out and put oil. But with the TKO ceramic bearings are they ready to use with the grease you speak of(sonic?). I have to order some new Himoto wings and I'll just get another set of bearings and the grease.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Originally Posted by HECTICRACER
does anyone have any input on my post above

I've ran it both ways and it did'nt feel much different either way... I know that does'nt help any, just did'nt want you to think you were being ignored
Old 02-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello this has been a great site and excellent post! I have just gotten into off road racing. I have a few questions that I would like to ask.

First i will tell you that I bought the Losi 8ight. I was going to buy the rtr but decided to go with the kit so I could get a working knowledge of the parts. So i bought the 8ight kit. This being my first kit it went together great! I did have some problems with the rear diffs binding and fixed that before i found this site. I thought I was doing something wrong.

I purchased the DX-2 radio,OS speed tuned pipe T-2050,Futuba S9451+S9351 servos and an AXE motor Rossi Seed(180R21) motor. Just got it today. I bought most of this stuff on the advice of my local hobby shop.

How do I set the toe,camber,caster,ride hight ect is there guages or tools i need to buy. Also when my car is on the stand the RR a arm sits lower than the left and in the front LF a arm sits lower than the right. makes the car look weird. I adjusted the bump stop on the RR and the LF to get them even this made my shocks more level.

I tried dropping the car from a foot onto the ground then checked the ride height not sure waht to measure I measured from the ground to the a-arm hing pin and its about 2 inches off the ground.

Also the steering servo makes a whinning noise. when I take the linkage loose it stops i put it back on and press the gas and it starts whining again.

One last question does anybody know anything about the motor I bought good or bad it wasnt the one I wanted but its was all the local hobby shop had so I bought it. Just really looking forward to racing this thing this coming year.

Thanks for any replys
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

First off, great decision to buy a kit rather than an RTR. I made the wrong decision when I bought a Jammin X1CR RTR over the kit, I spent more upgrading and making it race legal than if I just bought the kit and running gear seperatly.

To answer a few of your questions, first ride height. General rule for beginning ride height is to drop it from a foot onto a table. Then get down and look at it from the back. look at the dog bones. If they are level, or parallel to the surface of the table, then your ride height is good. If not adjust your shock load until your dog bones are parallel with the ground.

Second, the whining you hear is because your servo's are digital. The motors inside the servo make that funny noise when ever a slight load is pressing on the servo. this is normal and you shouldn't be concerned about it!

Last, and motor made by Rossi, Nova, Top, Rb ETC......... They are all pretty good, Italian engines are some of the best around. The only non Italian engine I would suggest is the NINJA Line of engines. The 21 BO1 is one of the best .21 engines I have run in a long time, I'd also suggest an RB WS7II

That's all I've got for ya at the moment. I plan on buying an 8ight as soon as my Tax return comes back!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey xlivbeengonewaytoolong- If I remember right the Ninja engine are made by GRP which is an italian company. It's good to see you coming back to the racing scene
Old 02-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well finally got my first track time today with my 8ight and as everyone knows, this thing is simply amazing thats the only way I can put it. I already feel so much faster with it versus my kyosho, awsome machine.

Take a look at the first battle between Losi and Associated, Looks like the darkside whooped up on the RC8,,, this is going to be a great year with the two brands fighting it out on the track.

The main news today is that Mike Truhe with his Novarossi powered Losi edged out a debut win for Ryan Maifield and his new Associated RC8 at the Nitro Pit in Arizona.
It seems the David vs. Goliath battle has begun between Losi and Associated! With Losi scoring a 1-0 lead with this warmup to the Nitro Challenge Feb 21-25. Mike Truhe finished a comfortable 9.6 secs ahead of Maifields RC8 in the Amain, Truhe also TQ'd.
Results
1. Mike Truhe - Losi/Novarossi
2. Ryan Maifield - Associated/OS
3. Jared Tebo - O'Donnell/O'Donnell
4. Jason Ashton - Sidorf/SH
5. Josh Nelson
6. Trevor Clement
7. Chris Cramer
8. Luke Jonas
9. Casey Peck - Losi
10. Dylan Rodriguez
11. Chris Wheeler
12. Ross Denny
13. Billy Fischer
14. Ricky Gaynor.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Slow...the driveline bearings are light oiled. Yes, remove the seal and grease. 50% for these small cross section bearings. In the future they will come greased. The green slime is the same as the grease Pro Circuit and others sell for fork seals. Not sure who the oem is.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
hey xlivbeengonewaytoolong- If I remember right the Ninja engine are made by GRP which is an italian company. It's good to see you coming back to the racing scene
GRP is an Italian company , the motor is designed by Rossi, It's actually mass produced in Japan. And I never really left, I've just been haunting the outskirts of the hobby until off road starts again. And you talk as if I live in some other town. Infact I just bought a house in Bellevue, so I'm practically your new neighbor! That's why I've cut back.

I'll have an 8ight this summer, and I'm counting on your Nitro inexperience to help beat you. It's about 75% driving and 25% motor tuning and maintainance. I'm counting on that last 25% to help me, because you have the other 75% covered!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Hey all, I'm new to the Eight camp. Have to say that the build is nice, great car Losi has here. Wondering about the cvds that are wearing on everyone here causing the "push". On some cars I've seen the shaft from front to center diffs wearing, is that the one that needs replaced often?

Looking for a good setup for indoors like Columbus because I'm not going to get any practice, just show up and race. I've got a pretty good idea, just trying to pool some other good setup ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone have any feedback on these radio tray stiffeners? Worth while or not? Help to solve the issue of the throttle servo deaths?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11534

&

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10908

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.