Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwalters
Looking for a good setup for indoors like Columbus because I'm not going to get any practice, just show up and race. I've got a pretty good idea, just trying to pool some other good setup ideas.

Thanks in advance.
young sheep, call bill at dirtburners, he'll give you the dialed columbus setup, after looking at his car, I know he moved the top of the rear shocks in one hole, disconnected the rear swaybar and had silver springs all around. He was running m3 inside jobs for tires.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

i've been looking at getting the 8 and flew from richmond to columbus to catch a show at the funnybone in easton and check out these things in person since you guys have indoor races but couldn't make it to the track thanks to good old nwa getting us there at 6pm instead of the 9:30 am that it was suppose to be. guess for now i'll just have to keep reading the post and wait til spring
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=cwalters]On some cars I've seen the shaft from front to center diffs wearing, is that the one that needs replaced often?[QUOTE]

This is in my belief is true. If you very frequently clean and grease the front center CV coupling it will last a bit longer.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I remember from my Mountain Biking days that White Lightning was the shizzle for chains and derailers n'shit.....would this be the best lube to use for the CVD's as most other stuff will just attract dust/dirt/crud/otherlosiowners/sand????

anybody else have a "dry" lube they use with success?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We tried graphite dry lube, but it just gets slung off at the high RPMs that the typical RC car drivetrain opporates at. If you've got some laying around, try it and tell us how it worked for you.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'll use the same Bel Ray that I use on my 450F linkage it's very good stuff. The tub lasts forever. I'm seeing lots of wear in the dowel that goes through the bone end. Can't tell if it is the dowel itself or the end or both. Just wondering, everything else seems good though. Thanks.

Hey O.S. BRAAAAAAH. Just thought Scuba Steve or someone from there could throw me another setup to try. I got a pretty good idea with it. I know some guys are going to 5,5,2 or 5,5,3 instead of the usual 5,7,2. It's hard saying with oils right now, the weather is different everyday. -7 here today...
Old 02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

I am wondering if I am puting my 8ight together right:

I have finished building the front suspension and have attached it to the chassis. I noticed that if I turn the driveshaft and hold the left wheel nut, the driveshaft keeps turning and the right wheel nut continues to turn (the left must slip).

If I try to hold both wheel nuts, I can't turn the driveshaft.

Is this how it should work? If so, doesn't it mean that at least one wheel can be slipping on either side of the car at any given time?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Cwalters, I have a set up that I like and it is very much like Bill's that O.S. power is talking about (Bill and I are good friends and race together)...... I gave the set up to Topher and Hecticracer.... I hope they let me know how it worked for them.... I am no set-up genius by no means but I can definately hold my own ..... but before I make everyone think this is the "Hot" indoor set-up I would like to see how those guys did with it.... Don't get me wrong I will give it to you I just don't want to steer any one in the wrong direction... plus alot of people have different driving styles...... but I will post that set-up shortly.

Topher
and
Hecticracer > How did the set-up work for you guys ????
Old 02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Paulybehaved
I am wondering if I am puting my 8ight together right:

I have finished building the front suspension and have attached it to the chassis. I noticed that if I turn the driveshaft and hold the left wheel nut, the driveshaft keeps turning and the right wheel nut continues to turn (the left must slip).

If I try to hold both wheel nuts, I can't turn the driveshaft.

Is this how it should work? If so, doesn't it mean that at least one wheel can be slipping on either side of the car at any given time?

Yes, it is fine.... It's just the differential doing it's job
Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll let you know after this Saturday.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Ok guys, nothing major but here you go

*Box stock set-up with the following:

*Rr. shocks: 56 pistons with 30 wt.
position inside & hole 1 in tower
Silver springs

* No sway bar

*Droop (shock length) 97.5 mm Fr. & 104.5 mm Rr. (center of screw to centerof screw)

*Front toe O*

*Mugen Diff fluid F 5k / C 6k / R 3k

*Ride hieght 27mm Fr. and Rr.

PL M3 inside jobs with medium ofna molded foam are the best especially on a dry track.... if the track is a little damp and the PL's are to stuck you can try some panther switch clay with the same foam.

Hope this helps you guys, It worked well for me and a few others that ran it... Let us know if you like it .... or if ya don't

Last edited by SCUBA STEVE; 02-05-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Scuba Steve, is the rest of the setup the same as either box stock or the Drake Neo setup? Ie, the front shock pistons/oil/positions/swaybar?
Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Scuba Steve, is the rest of the setup the same as either box stock or the Drake Neo setup? Ie, the front shock pistons/oil/positions/swaybar?
Oops.... sorry ... I fixed it
Yes, stock set up with those changes.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwalters
Hey all, I'm new to the Eight camp. Have to say that the build is nice, great car Losi has here. Wondering about the cvds that are wearing on everyone here causing the "push". On some cars I've seen the shaft from front to center diffs wearing, is that the one that needs replaced often?

Looking for a good setup for indoors like Columbus because I'm not going to get any practice, just show up and race. I've got a pretty good idea, just trying to pool some other good setup ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Chad me and Al have a good set-up that I will send you if you want.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Hey S Bowen,

I'm having trouble with setups on my car. I've tried many and am having some trouble keeping the car tame. My x-ray handles great right now and I'd like my 8ight to do the same. Anyway, I have been looking for user setups on this message board. Would you mind sending yours to [email protected] Thank you !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.