Losi 8ight building and setup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Keith your going to have to travel to some GLORC's Series races this summer! Lots of fast competition! Hope to see you out at some events
Old 04-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
The HT Battery LiPos all come with two leads. One is the standard Rx lead (or Dean's plug on the starter box pack) and the second lead is a balance charging lead. This lead plugged in to the HT Balance charger will charge each cell individually. So I'm not sure what HT Battery pack you got but every one I've seen has both leads and is wired properly. Did you buy it used?

Also the run time on my HT-220 has been great. I ran it this past weekend in my MBX5T and after one hour of run time it still read 7.64 volts on my React radio. Plus i would leave the radio and car on in the pits a good 5 minutes before every run. It should go well over 1-1/2 hours easily.
Tony, you are mistaken on this one. My point was to the longevity of the pack. Even the owner of HT Batteries admits that the HT220 pack that fits the Losi8, and which the 8 tray was designed around, is as I said-it's series/parallel wired. There are 4 cells in that pack and you can't balance 4 cells properly with the 3 wire balancing lead (1 negative and a positive for each cell). You need a 5 wire balancing lead.

Furthermore, he admitted that there is no proper 2 cell Li-Po pack that fits the 8. I got quotes from 5 different Chinese manufacturers to make a pack that fits and the $5000 tooling charge killed that idea quick!

Last edited by satoch; 04-26-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A_Stratus
Keith your going to have to travel to some GLORC's Series races this summer! Lots of fast competition! Hope to see you out at some events

im sure ill make it to one or two. But I dont know.. first summer home and a 1 year old little girl might put a bind on any major race plans.. at the very least for the time away. If not financially.

Just wish we had 8ights in stock!! Truggy is on the way... Buggy might be a couple weeks. I almost considered ordering the RTR and then all the stuff to make it right.. but i figure... i cant drive it for a month anyway... ill just wait. Plus the motor and servos i want are also on backorder...

SOOOON
Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default tko seals

hey guys,

just a quick question about the tko shock seals- i recently installed a set and they made the car feel about 20wt heavier, even after a couple of litres of running. does anybody do anything special like use different spacers or anything to compensate for the tighter seal?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mine took about 5 or 6 tanks before the o-rings broke in after that they work great.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Anyone know if Advantage Racing is still around?
Advantage is still around, I believe it is under new ownership. You will see new products as well as proven products at LHS in the near future.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks Phil.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by satoch
Tony, you are mistaken on this one. My point was to the longevity of the pack. Even the owner of HT Batteries admits that the HT220 pack that fits the Losi8, and which the 8 tray was designed around, is as I said-it's series/parallel wired. There are 4 cells in that pack and you can't balance 4 cells properly with the 3 wire balancing lead (1 negative and a positive for each cell). You need a 5 wire balancing lead.

Furthermore, he admitted that there is no proper 2 cell Li-Po pack that fits the 8. I got quotes from 5 different Chinese manufacturers to make a pack that fits and the $5000 tooling charge killed that idea quick!
I see what you are saying about the HT-220 being a 4-cell (2S2P) pack. I'll have to check with Eric at HT Batteries to confirm. But if that's true, then I wonder why they don't use the 5 wire balancing lead that is on the starter box pack?

Regardless though, I like the size of the HT Balance charger and the pack is working great for me in my Tx, Rx and Starter box. I will never switch back to NiMh...LOL I know many other guys that have been using the HT Batteries LiPo's for well over a year and love them. Stephen Bess from R/C Car has the starter box pack and did a review on it in the mag a few issues back. He loves it.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am looking to purchase some grease, what brand at amainhobbies.com should I get? The kit only gives you so much and I know I will need some down the road.

Manny
Old 04-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

Dude....Don't you have a local hobby shop? Really???? Buy grease from an online store?

Anyways... Associated Green Slime and Black grease. The Associated stuff works awesome.

You will reconsider your LHS when you need help. If they are worth their weight in salt they will help you and guide you so you do not have to come back. If they are like some others they will tell you to get lost because you did not support them.

A-Main is good... but they are in no position to provide tech support at the consumer level.

I started racing with the guy I work with when I was 12. My mom used to take me to his track. I'm 38 now, and he has seen all shops come and go. He is one of the only ones that has effectivly curbed and accepted how the internet world and real proshops can exist together.

Just my .02. Sorry for the rant.
Peace,
TEX
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tex1
Dude....Don't you have a local hobby shop? Really???? Buy grease from an online store?

Anyways... Associated Green Slime and Black grease. The Associated stuff works awesome.

You will reconsider your LHS when you need help. If they are worth their weight in salt they will help you and guide you so you do not have to come back. If they are like some others they will tell you to get lost because you did not support them.

A-Main is good... but they are in no position to provide tech support at the consumer level.

I started racing with the guy I work with when I was 12. My mom used to take me to his track. I'm 38 now, and he has seen all shops come and go. He is one of the only ones that has effectivly curbed and accepted how the internet world and real proshops can exist together.

Just my .02. Sorry for the rant.
Peace,
TEX
Why are you ranting on me? If there is no good hobby stores around, where do you want me to shop at? Are you ranting because it is Friday and do not want to work? Do you want me to drive over 100 miles to get to a hobby store? I am putting an order in at amainhobbies.com and I want to get some grease.

Please when you want to rant, do it some other place. I come here to read and have fun with this hobby.

That is just my $.02

Manny
Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree about the hobby shop not being around. I drive 120 miles roundtrip once a week to get my parts. I hate when I call, they say the parts are in, and you get there to be told they were sold. I hate HobbyTo** USA. They put out more shops and don't support the tracks around here. I just had to get that out.

How much difference can I expect from different spring rates? I have changed only the springs a few times and did not notice much difference. Last night, on rear shocks, I put my preload adjusters almost all the way to the bottom with the silver springs and the buggy felt really good. Maybe that is where mine likes to be. Tonight at the races I think I'll try the greens and back the preload off a little, just to see the diff. I have been trying to calm the car down off of little 6" tall jumps into corners. The buggy LEAPS off and then I over shoots the corners. I even have 55p all around and F/R 45/37 oil.
I just need to know what to expect from higher and lower spring rates.
Thanx
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ever wonder why there aren't good hobby shops around????
Old 04-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well, around here not a lot of people know there is such a thing as an RC car. Quite a few do though. But I would say ony 500 out of 50,000. If more knew about the place they might come. Also, the general personality of the owner doesn't help. As posted above, I kind of got the vibe he wants too much money for a kit. I thought the parts and hop-ups is where they were to make the most money. IDK. Maybe more people do know about and don't like him. Well look at me, I keep typing circles around this question. I'll stop now.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

I do not know why this thread is getting off topic. But, I do not know why I am getting rant on because I shop online for my hobby. If none of the hobby stores around me (and there is only a few) do not have what I want or cannot provide support for me, why should I purchased items there. The one hobby store wanted to charge me over $100.00 more for the kit. Last time I checked, I did not win the lottery. I have a family on a budget. If the LHS wants to charge that ridulious price then that is their right, too. But, it does not mean I have to pay it. He can lower his prices to competitive. I am accountant and a CPA and I know about businesses. I dealt with small all the time when I worked for CPA firm.

And, please don’t tell me Amainhobbies.com cannot provide support at consumer level. I do not know what you are talking about. But, I think the tech department is pretty good. Hey, they work on and race the 8ight. That is 100% better than my LHS. I found another LHS, but they were out of the 8ight and since they are so small they have a small inventory. They said it would be a while before they get the 8ight in. I wanted to purchase the kit from them. I really did. And, I waited a couple of weeks. LHS calls me back and said it will be awhile before they get one in. I am going to try to support this other LHS, but if he does not have what I want then my only alternative is to go online.

What do you want me to do? Not have a hobby because the LHS cannot support me. Get real. I know a lot of you helped me out in the past and I hope I will get that same attention in the future.

Manny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.