Search
Like Tree30Likes

Losi XXL2-E

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brinkman804
I have not ordered the had diff housings yet...goood to know I do not need them. Do you know what size drill bit I would need to make the pins? Otherwise I will just order the hpi pins. I ordered the proline trenchers 1/2 offset...so the losi 8ight adapters are not needed? If not what 17mm adapter should I be looking at? I plan on running a bec to get the most I can out of the stock servos...I remember on my original nitro xxl I put hitech servos in and I never get the damn steering to work like it did rtr wise. So I just plan on running stock servos until the go out. Couple of more questions ....what weight diff fluid are recommending in front and rear? What shock wt? I ordered the yellow losi springs for front and rear. Also does the rpm stuff from xxl work for the xxl2-e...I would like to change all the arms to rpm.
I'm not OD of course but can help.

Pins are 2.5x12mm so any 2.5 drill bit will work. Harder the better. Durango and Kyosho pins of the same size are stout too if you can't find the HPIs.

If you got the adapters already then run them but like OD said it will be super wide. Any 17mm Hex for 1/8 scale will work. Not a 1/10 scale conversion.

On your nitro you ran the servos off of a battery which was likely 7.4v. Those were some old ass servos too and probably didn't smoke. As OD mentioned s BEzc will provide a cleaner more stable voltage. Is it needed on stock servos? No. Would I for $20? Yes but that's me.

RPM arms are good but the adjustable are non-existent. For the cost of stockers and how rarely they break I personally won't bother with RPM.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info...much help
Old 11-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Here's a question....I do not understand how this truck does not get the attention that it should. I mean go on you tube, hardly anything! I remember when I had my XXL and would go bashing with my friends, and I actually got to bash more than 10 minutes. I feel that's the reason why ....not much has to be upgraded or modded on the XXL2-E. When I get mine up and going and built the way I want .....videos upon videos upon videos going up on YouTube....I will bash the hell out of it....yes, it will break but wait until everyone gets to see what it can handle? I was always going to do this with my nitro XXL But never did...not this time, it will happen. Losi needs more credit for the quality rtr they build. I just built my yeti XL and will have more into that thing than the XXL2-E and I have not even run the Yeti XL yet. Still doing mods on it. Yes, I could just run the YETI XL and fix it as it breaks (I do like fixing stuff though) But I have always just tried to build it the best it can be, before I go out and bash. Nothing like getting all excited and ready to go show off to your buddies your new truck. Then five minutes later your down and it's broke. We need a LOSI movement....lol...wish I could post pics of my original xxl it was awesome
Old 11-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Here's a question....I do not understand how this truck does not get the attention that it should. I mean go on you tube, hardly anything! I remember when I had my XXL and would go bashing with my friends, and I actually got to bash more than 10 minutes. I feel that's the reason why ....not much has to be upgraded or modded on the XXL2-E. When I get mine up and going and built the way I want .....videos upon videos upon videos going up on YouTube....I will bash the hell out of it....yes, it will break but wait until everyone gets to see what it can handle? I was always going to do this with my nitro XXL But never did...not this time, it will happen. Losi needs more credit for the quality rtr they build. I just built my yeti XL and will have more into that thing than the XXL2-E and I have not even run the Yeti XL yet. Still doing mods on it. Yes, I could just run the YETI XL and fix it as it breaks (I do like fixing stuff though) But I have always just tried to build it the best it can be, before I go out and bash. Nothing like getting all excited and ready to go show off to your buddies your new truck. Then five minutes later your down and it's broke. We need a LOSI movement....lol...wish I could post pics of my original xxl it was awesome
Attention? No it doesn't but that I think is because it has been around since we were side by side with the fish. If it's not broke kinda thing. Overall besides electric it has not really changed and the RC world needs change regardless of how good something is.

I'll watch videos all day long so post up. Reference your YT channel or ??

I have a Yeti XL and it is a whole different animal in every way. Comparing it to the XXL would be silly. The YXL had some very very bad teething issues that turned a lot of guys off Axial but with a few minor upgrades and guys coming up with easy and cheap fixes for the diffs, they will run 6S all day long and take a decent amount of punishment.

Whatever you do don't go 1/5 scale brushless. I did and talk about a sh*t eating grin while running an RC.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cmbscx10
Attention? No it doesn't but that I think is because it has been around since we were side by side with the fish. If it's not broke kinda thing. Overall besides electric it has not really changed and the RC world needs change regardless of how good something is.

I'll watch videos all day long so post up. Reference your YT channel or ??

I have a Yeti XL and it is a whole different animal in every way. Comparing it to the XXL would be silly. The YXL had some very very bad teething issues that turned a lot of guys off Axial but with a few minor upgrades and guys coming up with easy and cheap fixes for the diffs, they will run 6S all day long and take a decent amount of punishment.

Whatever you do don't go 1/5 scale brushless. I did and talk about a sh*t eating grin while running an RC.

I will post once I get both machines up and running. Yes I agree the Yeti XL is not in same ball game as Losi. I have been out of the rc game for awhile now...just started back up 2 weeks ago. I just built the YetiXL and my XXL2-e will be here tomorrow ...the addiction is full blown already....the wife is so excited..lol...I will get running videos and post the channel here once I get it all up and running....I posted two old videos in the dark running my xxl, and the largest jump I ever made with it...the video does it no justice...it's under Basher Brink21....
Old 11-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh and please don't tempt me with the 1/5 scale...baby steps...not for me but my wife
Old 11-29-2016, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Oh and please don't tempt me with the 1/5 scale...baby steps...not for me but my wife
This one?
https://youtu.be/4uSXI85CZgY
Old 11-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes that's it....trying to find all my other videos, hopefully I find them. Hated to sell all my rc stuff, but family first. But now dad gets his hobby and passion back ..
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have not ordered the had diff housings yet...goood to know I do not need them. Do you know what size drill bit I would need to make the pins? Otherwise I will just order the hpi pins. I ordered the proline trenchers 1/2 offset...so the losi 8ight adapters are not needed? If not what 17mm adapter should I be looking at? I plan on running a bec to get the most I can out of the stock servos...I remember on my original nitro xxl I put hitech servos in and I never get the damn steering to work like it did rtr wise. So I just plan on running stock servos until the go out. Couple of more questions ....what weight diff fluid are recommending in front and rear? What shock wt? I ordered the yellow losi springs for front and rear. Also does the rpm stuff from xxl work for the xxl2-e...I would like to change all the arms to rpm.
I upgrade servos on my RC's pretty much standard. But I run stock servo's on my losi and my outcast. The losi works fine. There are two 200oz servos. Fine by me. Never felt like I needed more on it. Also, when I bought mine I bought hundreds of dollars worth of spare parts so I wouldn't have to wait on the mail to get parts, and I still have them all on my parts wall waiting to be used. I have broken a few shock shafts and bumpers and the wheelie bar is gone. But that's it.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

I would say that, beside being a very old excellent platform, Losi lost a lot of customers because of that very problematic, to say the least, .31 gas engine. They probably realised that at some point as now the 1/8 8ight buggy and truggy are back on nitro. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a nitro engine back on XXL also.
Regarding that comparison between XXL and Yeti XL... I bash the hell out of both of them and I'm having zero problems at all. Of course after I've upgraded the Yeti, suspension, drive shaft and diffs wise. I'm not talking about broken arms after nose landing on a rock or after a meeting with a tree , but regular "normal" bashing.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

They were at least three years behind the curve coming out with the XXL2-E. Was great for Thunder Tiger. And now you have Arrma. And yeah, that dumb gas engine attempt was just embarassing. A real clusterpoop of timing..

I would think re-releasing an XXL nitro version would not be a bad thing.. It would give the LST platform more market presence - as well as just adding to the likelihood that spare parts will be around longer. An XXL2 Nitro with a Losi-rebadged LRP .30 and some new body-style would be fine..
Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

While a lot have done it a 8ightMT should have been released around Kraton time.

I am not a nitro or gas guy but I can see the appeal and market share of a Nitro version with different tires. What else do you change as there is not really much to complain about? Pillow bal suspension or adjustable suspension? Would be an interesting thread to read of "What Losi should come out with for Bashers" thread.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

I think Arrma is doing very interesting things at the moment. This is just my opinion, so no offense.

They came out with the Nero, an "innovative" new MT. The Kraton was already out, with good reports. When I saw the Nero I thought, OK, cool that something new is out. But honestly, I would not buy it over the Kraton, if performance is what you care about. It's more expensive, weighs more, and has more on it to break. The Kraton is the clearly better choice for an all-around performer. AND cheaper.

Several years ago I was in the same boat - MT4 G3, or the then-new E-MTA. The E-MTA looked cool, but weighed a LOT more, had a complicated transmission, a bunch of plastic stuff all over it, etc. I thought, the MT4 G3 is cheaper, lighter, simpler, easier to work on, and so it was a clear choice, even though part of me at the time really wanted to go for the novelty factor. In retrospect I made the right decision.

The point is - for 8th scale electric bashing - big speed, big jumps, big durability, in addition to ease of working on, and, crucially, VALUE FOR MONEY - you just can't beat an 8th scale truggy. And Arrma has optimized this with some roll-bar type bits, and especially on the new Outcast, a cool body and very cool tires...

I suppose they could do some kind of new Muggy, but I don't see that happening. When I look at Losi now I see the racing side and the bashing side being far, FAR further apart than they were back when the Muggy came out (shortly before the first 8ight T) Now it's like the two product lines are from different companies. What they could and should do probably is offer just a beefed up RTR Eight-T truggy. Give it the roll-support thing, some bigger, beefier tires, and finished. Market it to bashers basically.. (Some would say truck body, but not me. Not keen on pickup bodies, except the Outcast. The 8ight truggy bodies look great IMO..)

Now, that's electric. For nitro, which I realize isn't as big as it used to be, I think there could be updateable potential. First off, the LRP 30, rebranded by losi with an orange head like the Losi 454 was a rebranded LRP Spec 3 .28. Secondly, somehow, and I don't even know if it's possible, a 3-speed would be neat.. Help it get past 50mph stock, maybe 55-60...(I think I remember seeing stock XXL's hitting 45.. And the LRP 30 is more brutal than most people who only know electric would believe..) Then just a facelift with new tires, new body, etc.. And I think any new model from Losi needs more, and good..., marketing.

That's all pie in the sky though. Losi used to be innovative in this part of the hobby. Not anymore. All Arrma now. I don't think Losi cares about non-racing 8th scale anymore. It's either racing stuff, or 5th scale. Even though IMO 8th scale is still the ultimate scale - the most car for your money. 10th scale is still too closely priced to 8th scale, but for much less car. And 5th scale is still just ludicrously expensive..

That's my two dollars anyway..
Old 11-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I think Arrma is doing very interesting things at the moment. This is just my opinion, so no offense.

They came out with the Nero, an "innovative" new MT. The Kraton was already out, with good reports. When I saw the Nero I thought, OK, cool that something new is out. But honestly, I would not buy it over the Kraton, if performance is what you care about. It's more expensive, weighs more, and has more on it to break. The Kraton is the clearly better choice for an all-around performer. AND cheaper.

Several years ago I was in the same boat - MT4 G3, or the then-new E-MTA. The E-MTA looked cool, but weighed a LOT more, had a complicated transmission, a bunch of plastic stuff all over it, etc. I thought, the MT4 G3 is cheaper, lighter, simpler, easier to work on, and so it was a clear choice, even though part of me at the time really wanted to go for the novelty factor. In retrospect I made the right decision.

The point is - for 8th scale electric bashing - big speed, big jumps, big durability, in addition to ease of working on, and, crucially, VALUE FOR MONEY - you just can't beat an 8th scale truggy. And Arrma has optimized this with some roll-bar type bits, and especially on the new Outcast, a cool body and very cool tires...

I suppose they could do some kind of new Muggy, but I don't see that happening. When I look at Losi now I see the racing side and the bashing side being far, FAR further apart than they were back when the Muggy came out (shortly before the first 8ight T) Now it's like the two product lines are from different companies. What they could and should do probably is offer just a beefed up RTR Eight-T truggy. Give it the roll-support thing, some bigger, beefier tires, and finished. Market it to bashers basically.. (Some would say truck body, but not me. Not keen on pickup bodies, except the Outcast. The 8ight truggy bodies look great IMO..)

Now, that's electric. For nitro, which I realize isn't as big as it used to be, I think there could be updateable potential. First off, the LRP 30, rebranded by losi with an orange head like the Losi 454 was a rebranded LRP Spec 3 .28. Secondly, somehow, and I don't even know if it's possible, a 3-speed would be neat.. Help it get past 50mph stock, maybe 55-60...(I think I remember seeing stock XXL's hitting 45.. And the LRP 30 is more brutal than most people who only know electric would believe..) Then just a facelift with new tires, new body, etc.. And I think any new model from Losi needs more, and good..., marketing.

That's all pie in the sky though. Losi used to be innovative in this part of the hobby. Not anymore. All Arrma now. I don't think Losi cares about non-racing 8th scale anymore. It's either racing stuff, or 5th scale. Even though IMO 8th scale is still the ultimate scale - the most car for your money. 10th scale is still too closely priced to 8th scale, but for much less car. And 5th scale is still just ludicrously expensive..

That's my two dollars anyway..

Like your thinking in the post. I agree that Losi is getting further away from the bashers of the world. I do hope that they will realize it's still a huge market. Also agree with the fact Arrma is becoming quite the force in the bashing world. Point being the Kraton and Nero, now the all new Outcast (which has not been proven yet)

When I was deciding weather to get back into the rc world and go with electric for the first time I was really drawn to the Arrma line up. I ultimately decided on the Axial Yeti XL kit version, I researched that vehicle a lot, and knew what I was getting and would have to do to make a worthy basher. That's part of what I enjoy in this hobby the fixing and figuring out new mods etc... But in the back of mind I couldn't stop thinking about my XXL 454 and how it was just a beast....so here I sit now with a Brand new package by my desk and in the package my new XXL2-E....can't wait to get it home and open it up...So I guess I can say I'm back....yeti XL , xxl2-e....then maybe an outcast..he addiction is strong my friends..lol
Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Haven't been able to run my truck very well and haD eventually just put it up due to weak lipos. My old smc lipos finally hit the can and stopped supplying power and taking a charge. Finally was able to put in a nice order of two 7.4 7200mah 90c and three 11.1 7200mah 90c. This allows me to have a 6s pack, 5s pack and a 4s pack. 5 and 6 for my xxl and the third 11.1v for my boat. Back in action guys! Only took Danny a day to get them to my door, he had 10% off this past weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.