Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Etowiosee
Just picked one up myself tonight. Going to play with it tomorrow after I charge up the new batteries I picked up just for it.

Anyone know what the stock oil in the shocks is? To me the buggy just seems to be slung too low at rest and I'm wondering about putting something heavier in there.
Check the user manual, it says 550 CST which I think translates to 40 wt.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

It sucks feeling powerless to the rc car and parts manufacturers when you can't do a DIY upgrade to a part that is weak in your setup. In this case the front knuckles and wing mount to name a couple. I'm thinking that more of us users need to take our frustration to our local fab labs and design and make our own parts for ourselves and to share with others maybe. Check out if a fab lab might be near you somewhere: http://www.fabfoundation.org/fab-labs/
Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Whelp, I'm all signed up for a membership at my local fab lab which among other things has 3d laser scanners, and machine shop to produce aluminum parts. We'll see how fast I can make an aluminum knuckle or wing brace for y'all to check out/try out. Taking a solidworks course tonight.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

That would be pretty great, actually. I don't know about an aluminum wing but I think a lot would like to see the knuckles.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sneetches
That would be pretty great, actually. I don't know about an aluminum wing but I think a lot would like to see the knuckles.
Cool, yeah. Just took the intro to solidworks course tonight. The place is amazing and looks that they do injection molding as well.

I was actually thinking of just adding a structural support to the wing mount assembly, not actually creating an aluminum wing. Probably nylon would be a better material for that too. We'll see how this unfolds. The place definitely has all the software, machines, and support I need to pull it off. I'm just excited to learn it all really. Here's a link in case you're interested:

http://nextfab.com/about/facility/equipment-list
Old 12-10-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by relay1
Cool, yeah. Just took the intro to solidworks course tonight. The place is amazing and looks that they do injection molding as well.

I was actually thinking of just adding a structural support to the wing mount assembly, not actually creating an aluminum wing. Probably nylon would be a better material for that too. We'll see how this unfolds. The place definitely has all the software, machines, and support I need to pull it off. I'm just excited to learn it all really. Here's a link in case you're interested:

http://nextfab.com/about/facility/equipment-list
The easiest thing to do might be to make an exact copy of the stock wing mount out of a more flexible plastic.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Micah78
The easiest thing to do might be to make an exact copy of the stock wing mount out of a more flexible plastic.
Yeah that would be easiest and also could work. Another option I'm looking at is to take the 5 piece plastic assembly and make it into a 1 piece part. So, the horizontal braces pointed out with arrows, to be replaced with a solid connection shown with the solid red fill, to bring it all together into one piece. I hope to show a design more clearly with a solidworks file. My goal is to have the file ready to fabricate from in a month.
Attached Thumbnails Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread-screen-shot-2014-12-11-10.57.44-pm.png   Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread-screen-shot-2014-12-11-11.06.13-pm.png  
Old 12-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Rookie

hi all..

had my kraton for ONE day and from a small jump i:

*snapped the wing mount;
*bent the shock tower;
*snapped the gearbox housing where it connects to the shock tower.

not pleased.

good to see a forum here.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Wow all that carnage off a small jump? How small was the jump? What was the temp outside?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Sounds like a freak accident to me lol. I beat the hell out of mine in the videos and all that resulted was x2 broken wing mount, trashed body, slightly bent shock tower that i've since straightened out with a hammer/vice, broken steering knuckle bearing, and the roll pins in the diff are most likely broken because of 6S.

If I had to advise anyone on maintenance at this point, it would be to check the bearings on all 4 wheels regularly so that a blown bearing isn't being run, cause that might break the steering knuckle as well...
Old 12-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If someone can give me the wing mount hole spacing to the shock tower, I have a few different ones that don't break I can check for compatibility.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey all, new to the forum. Did some poking around and figured this was the right spot to ask....

Santa brought my son a Kraton last night (we already busted the wing off )

Our other truck is a Wheely King and I just bought a Savox 1256TG steering servo to replace the stripped one on it. Wondering if i'd be better off putting the 1256TG in the Kraton and using the stock ADS-15M steering servo in the Wheely King?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Oh and about the broken wing mount... I'm going to machine an adapter for each side so I can install a small spring hinge; strong enough to not flex when bashing but will just fold when taking a hard hit.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Bought 2 Kratons for my teenagers for Xmas. Opened yesterday. 2 4s packs through them with no issues. Put the 6s in and bearings came apart on both front of both trucks. As I'm a newb, can anyone tell me more about what sealed bearings to order and where?

Last edited by Brian D.; 12-26-2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-26-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

From the manual the two bearings used in the front knuckles are (1ea per knuckle):
AR610016 = 8x16x5mm
AR610018 = 15x21x4mm

Not sure if both bearings are troublesome or one over the other? Regardless they seem cheap enough. In the process of researching which brand/model is recommended.

Seems the Fast Eddy and Avid bearings are pretty popular.. for $1 each I may just order a few of each and make them general "rainy day" maintenance..

Edit: Just ordered a 10 pack of each bearing size from fast eddy... got them on amazon where the combined shipping was less than the fast eddy website.

Last edited by sk1er18; 12-26-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.