Search
Like Tree20Likes

Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boblosi
M4x12mm Button head screw, same on top of both bellcrank steering post.
Thank you. Anyone got any opinion on how this truck runs on 6s? I am debating whether to stick with 4s or runs 6s. I am running mamba monster 2 and 2200kv motor.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Slapjack
Thank you. Anyone got any opinion on how this truck runs on 6s? I am debating whether to stick with 4s or runs 6s. I am running mamba monster 2 and 2200kv motor.
What piniones is everyone using? Anybody using a pinion other than the ones specifically for the Kraton? I put my 20T on from my eMaxx and it doesn't look like it meshes very we'll. looks like the pitch of the teeth are different. So if anyone knows any other brand pinions that will work let me know. Or if arrma has pinions other than the 12 &14T
Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't own a Kraton but most 1/8 stuff run MOD 1 pinions so the E-Maxx pinions which are 32 P will not mesh.

Tekno(my preference), Novak, RRP, just to name a few all make MOD 1 pinions for 5mm shaft.

Whatever you buy make sure it's a "hardened" pinion as well and you should be good to go.

20T is a big jump up over stock, you may run out of room with motor mount and stock spur gear and watch your motor, esc, and batt. temps gearing that high and keeping stock tires.

Last edited by WTs Pauly; 01-04-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WTs Pauly
Don't own a Kraton but most 1/8 stuff run MOD 1 pinions so the E-Maxx pinions which are 32 P will not mesh.

Tekno(my preference), Novak, RRP, just to name a few all make MOD 1 pinions for 5mm shaft.

Whatever you buy make sure it's a "hardened" pinion as well and you should be good to go.

20T is a big jump up over stock, you may run out of room with motor mount and stock spur gear and watch your motor, esc, and batt. temps gearing that high and keeping stock tires.
Thank you for te response. I wasn't going to use a 20t. That was just what I had on te motor when I was test fitting it. You mentioned using stock tires which brings up another question I had. I was considering running some 1/8 Truggy tires. I do not race so I am wondering if Truggy tires like some sweeps or whatever you would run on a losi 8ight-t or something like that would be ok for bashing. I thought they would be because I mean truggies hold up to some huge jumps. What you think?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

It depends what surface your running on. Truggy track tires get terrible traction in the grass and loose dirt. I put a set of them on my MT4 and was highly disappointed. They grip the pavement well which is like most off road tracks these days that have the dirt packed down so tight it's like concrete. If your looking for an awesome truggy bashing tire check out the Proline Badlands 3.8. They are what I run on my RC8t for bashing.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

What pinion tooth count do you think would be the max I should run? I don't want to have to worry about temps getting too high. Maybe 16T?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Truggy "bashing" tires is hard IMO, at least for me, since I run a lot on concrete. Badlands are great, but I wouldn't run them on concrete too much. It's ruin them fast..

Which is why I like MT4 G3 stock tires best. Good enough off-road, but hold up on pavement. Kind of a big for a truggy, but I guess you can always just regear it.. I have balded out truggy tires on my MT4 G3 right now, which if fine for pavement, but offroad they suck... Hard to find the right mix..
Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

What pinion tooth count do you think would be the max I should run? I don't want to have to worry about temps getting too high. Maybe 16T?
Can't really say. I believe 14T is stock on the Kraton? I'd get a 15T & 16T and a $20 hardware store temp gun and start gearing up and monitoring temps of your electronics. Ambient temp is going factor in as well, so what works in the winter may run too hot in the summer and what works in New York may not work in Arizona. Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

I myself prefer 5S. More air control than 4 and feels more lively, but not quite as fast as 6. I prefer it for all around driving.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sneetches
I myself prefer 5S. More air control than 4 and feels more lively, but not quite as fast as 6. I prefer it for all around driving.
I was kind of thinking the same thing... In addition to this Kraton build I am working on I also have an FLM emaxx with 1/8 diff conversion and I was always a little nervous to run 6S, and 4S was getting a little bland. Maybe I will have to grab a couple 3S batteries to go with my 2S's and run 5S in both trucks. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Does the Arrma Esc auto-detect 5s like the Castle system does? Can't stand having to program my Hobbywing Esc's manually for 5s and then back to auto-detect for 4s and 6s.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Does the Arrma Esc auto-detect 5s like the Castle system does? Can't stand having to program my Hobbywing Esc's manually for 5s and then back to auto-detect for 4s and 6s.
Yes, I used 5S in my videos but I just plugged it in.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

manual only states 4-6 cell lipo @ 3.2v per cell
Either that or
turn it off and have No Cut Off with 12v minimum
Best to just do first run with a lipo cell alarm meter on it set for 5 cell and see if
esc cuts out when the voltage is hit
Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by strykerakamack
manual only states 4-6 cell lipo @ 3.2v per cell
Either that or
turn it off and have No Cut Off with 12v minimum
Best to just do first run with a lipo cell alarm meter on it set for 5 cell and see if
esc cuts out when the voltage is hit
That would be stupid if it detects 4 and 6 cell but not 5 cell. I think the manual is probably saying "4 TO 6 cell" Not 4 OR 6 cell. But yea I would use the LVD alarm to be sure. Glad I am running mamba 2 in mine. when you hook up a lipo in the castle system it beeps the number of cells it detects. I always run with a LVD anyways just to be on safe side. But only because I didn't have the castle link previously to go into the esc an bump up the cut off. I always stop running at 3.4-3.5 volts/cell. Not 3.2 like mamba 2 is programmed to. I was told a long time ago by the guy that does the SPC batteries that anything below 3.5 is causing some kind of damage to the battery. Its probably not a big deal but I just do 3.5 to be safe.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I prefer the 5s as well seems to be the sweet spot. The esc detects the voltage of the battery at start up set cutoff accordingly. I for one never like to run any lipo to the cutoff point often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.