Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Inferno!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theDr
FYI: Those companies you mentioned all have their parts made by the same manufacturer in China and then repackage them for sale to the general public.
HuH?? Man the 3racing and the GPM parts look nothing alike when you look at the close.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (71%+)

Same with the Kyosho Aluminum Knuckle Arm set, they have yet to fail me yet.

Part number- IHW06
Old 11-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theDr
FYI: Those companies you mentioned all have their parts made by the same manufacturer in China and then repackage them for sale to the general public.
Well maybe they are manufactured by the same company, but the quality and design of them are certainly not the same. As someone else mentioned they look very different, fit very different and perform differently as well.

As far as front and rear diffs go, the best ball diff for the MI is the Atomic II, this is a very nice unit and a far better design than the Atomic I or the 3 racing diff. The best center diff is NO diff at all a-la KM-RC chassis with slipper
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if i were you i would buy kyosho only. thats what i did and havent had a problem yet. its a little more money but i think its well worth it. also let me ask you would you buy parts from a company that you really dont know that much about for your bigger cars? just cause they make parts for these cars doest mean they are race worthy, maybe they are basher worthy but i wouldent do it. thats just my opinion i could be wrong. although i do want the kmrc conversion just cause its a better design with no center diff.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

i agree with u, that parts from the maker itself are the best..
but one thing for sure as u put it urself.. kyosho alum parts are expensive.

as for me, i just want to enjoy bashing with my kids and definitely not a hardcore enthusiast.. so i go for cheaper alternative..

to my knowledge, we have 3racing, GPM, Atomic, Yeah racing and Sato to rely on and prices are of coz varies. But im not sure which one is the best.

and stupid as i am.. i thot all the the alu will be the same quality.. so i go for the cheapest

Originally Posted by gweed
if i were you i would buy kyosho only. thats what i did and havent had a problem yet. its a little more money but i think its well worth it. also let me ask you would you buy parts from a company that you really dont know that much about for your bigger cars? just cause they make parts for these cars doest mean they are race worthy, maybe they are basher worthy but i wouldent do it. thats just my opinion i could be wrong. although i do want the kmrc conversion just cause its a better design with no center diff.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Rookie

i competitively race the mini inferno...it's been a year. i've tried a lot of motors and the novak brushless 10.5 has worked the best so far...

for all of you that want to race the mini inferno...this thread is the mini inferno bible:
http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/in...opic=9358&st=0

bottom line on the mini inferno is that the kmrc chassis is the way to go. it's hard to find in stock but you won't have to deal with the center diff problems. kmrc is also built pretty well and is lighter. parts are scarce and there's a big learning curve to compete with top drivers using vendettas and 18pro's.

the aluminum parts (towers,gear boxes) are a waste of time if you want to race too. they hold too much weight on an already heavy mi.

atomic II ball diffs and 09 diffs are the only way to go if you're using a high powered brushless. 09 diffs though are stiff and aren't as smooth as the atomic.

any m
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by legacy_gt
... atomic II ball diffs and 09 diffs are the only way to go if you're using a high powered brushless. 09 diffs though are stiff and aren't as smooth as the atomic.
Is the atomic II ball diff mentioned is the same as this atomic ball diff.
Thinking of gettin center ball diff first before front and rear diff.

Will it give me prob having ball diff in the center and gear diff in the front and rear?

What else should i buy if i want to install center ball diff?
Alu center dogbone a must?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by intrance
Is the atomic II ball diff mentioned is the same as this atomic ball diff.
Thinking of gettin center ball diff first before front and rear diff.

Will it give me prob having ball diff in the center and gear diff in the front and rear?

What else should i buy if i want to install center ball diff?
Alu center dogbone a must?
The atomicII's are for front and rear diffs.You will have no problems running a center ball diff with gear F+R diffs as long as you are running a stock motor.For any more power than that you will need to do something with the F+R diffs.Also once you start running some power through the drivetrain the upgraded center dogbones are a very good Idea In addition to some good drive cups for the input pinions on the front and rear gearboxes.I recomend the MIP drivecups.They are hardened steel. There are TONS of aluminum drivecups on the market, staay away from all of them! they like to bend, break,and wear very fast in the drive slots.I really recomend getting as far away from the stock chassis and center gear box as possible.For what you will spend to make it bulletproof for brushless you could buy the KMRC chassis set and be done with it.I speak from experience on that one.Like I said in an earlier post, if I were to build another MI it would be built like this;

KMRC chassis set (70t spur version)
AtomicII balldiffs F+R
a donor MI chassis for plastics( gearbox housings and arms and hinge pins F+R and wing mount)
3 racing alloy towers F+R
3 racing alloy hubs + steering knuckles (leave the c-hubs plastic for no bind
+no slop
MIP drive cups for center drive line
3 racing oil shocks and spring kit
MIP CVD''s f+r
3 racing sealed bearing set
Hi-tec 225MG servo
Novak mongoose 10.5 BL system
ELITE 1500 2/3A cells

I know it looks like a ton of money, but the MI's can nickle and dime you to death if you try and be cheap on the driveline components.My first MI was definitely a learning experience(and a money pit) to say the least.

Last edited by 2wdMod; 11-18-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

before dishing money on the mini inferno....get the kmrc chassis.

you can order overseas here:
http://www.enroute-rc.com/store/inde...ndex&cPath=106

the kmrc chassis eliminates the center diff. and adds a clutch.
the atomic diffs II are front and rear diffs.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

KMRC chassis set (70t spur version)
AtomicII balldiffs F+R
a donor MI chassis for plastics( gearbox housings and arms and hinge pins F+R and wing mount)
3 racing alloy towers F+R
3 racing alloy hubs + steering knuckles (leave the c-hubs plastic for no bind
+no slop
MIP drive cups for center drive line
3 racing oil shocks and spring kit
MIP CVD''s f+r
3 racing sealed bearing set
Hi-tec 225MG servo
Novak mongoose 10.5 BL system
ELITE 1500 2/3A cells

This is pretty much bang on with what i'm building with the following changes:

Atomic titanium hinge pins
Atomic titanium shock towers
3 Racing hubs, knuckles and C-hubs (I will make sure nothing binds)
Kyosho hub adapter set and titanium dog bones F+R (Im taking the hit here on weight and drag, but I need to run 1/10 foams and the Xspede conversion is junk, the Kyosho axles are as thick as a 1/10 and just as strong)
Hi-tec 5245MG
Kyosho MI 09 rear gear diff (for strength see below im going to need it)
Atomic II ball diff up front
Castle Creations Mamba Micro Esc
Neu 1105/2.5 motor
Protek R/C 2s lipo saddle 4200
Atomic titanium hinge pin holders
Xray mirco servo saver

I just picked up a Mini Inferno ST on the bay for $102 with an ammo motor and a Tekin Mini Rage in it, so my list may change a bit, when I decide which setup works best.

FYI to anyone looking HKS hobbies appears to have a KMRC kit instock on their web store, so if anyones looking this is a good chance to snag one.

http://store.hkshobby.com/product_in...roducts_id=888

When I actually get to the build I will try and take photos of all the parts and weights and start a build thread if anyone is interested. Let me know. Right now im down to ordering the last few bits so I will be starting the build before Christmas for sure.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have an aluminum servo mount thats made for the mini inferno. I won it at a big race as a door prize. Anyone want it? Make me an offer. I can't use it.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by FastXR

When I actually get to the build I will try and take photos of all the parts and weights and start a build thread if anyone is interested. Let me know. Right now im down to ordering the last few bits so I will be starting the build before Christmas for sure.

Fast.. yeah.. pls start a build thread..

I might go for KMRC in near future.
At this moment i just wanna bash my MI with my kids. Bought used from my kiting buddy.

MI hop up with:

Mamba 25 Brushless ESC
Brushless Motor 3800kva?
Alu Motor Mount.
3racing Oil Shocks.
3racing Titanium Shock Tower - Front / Rear
3racing Titanium Swing Shaft CVD - Front / Rear
3racing Torque Rod - Front / Rear
3racing Alu Outdrive Joints
Adjustable Turnbuckles.
Alu Torque Rods
Metal pinion.
Kyosho Anti-Roll Bar - Front / Rear
Hitec HS81MG steering servo.
GPM Knuckle Arm – Front / Rear
GPM Steering Assy

Further inspection, I think it might have been installed with front/rear ball diff. Could not say for sure but i saw the alu drive cups.

Just purchased a titanium king pin/collar and TBR bumper.