Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome! >

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree261Likes

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

one of these Sundays I’ve got to get up there.

It's a great facility. Sunday there was on road and off road practice going on the same time.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MD
Yes, I am running the 12t 550 motor.
Thanks, will get the 62t spur and try a 28t pinion and work down from there. My tires are a good size larger as I'm still going off-road on loose dirt so I'm anticipating going down pinion size.

My torque seems good, could use a bit more top end.

Funny how I was thinking I would only keep the brushed system in for less than a month, however I'm very surprised at the XL-5/Titan combo, good torque and run times blew me away, I was thinking run times would suffer greatly from a brushed setup, I was wrong.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Another great race day with the 4-Tecs. 5 racers. The guys are getting faster and faster. Top guys are now switching from the VTA tires to foams. Others will no doubt be following suit soon. No mechanical failures were reported.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:01 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Five of us got together for an informal practice session. Probably the most pure fun I've ever had in RC. We raced, bashed, tuned, and laughed our butts off. Then two guys put their Slash' on the track and things got crazy, as in crazy fun. We ran on and off for several hours. Failures were, a popped out dog bone or two, an upper hub screw came out, and I lost a diff cup screw. Considering what we were doing out there that's pretty darn good.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JC3
Five of us got together for an informal practice session. Probably the most pure fun I've ever had in RC. We raced, bashed, tuned, and laughed our butts off. Then two guys put their Slash' on the track and things got crazy, as in crazy fun. We ran on and off for several hours. Failures were, a popped out dog bone or two, an upper hub screw came out, and I lost a diff cup screw. Considering what we were doing out there that's pretty darn good.
Nice to just have fun without much worries, I think that's what appealed most to me about the new 4tec, every time I tried to fart around hard with my Team Associated cars I end up having to buy parts, so far this 4Tec I don't just fart around with, I bash it full on skate park running, curb jumping, gravel drifting bashing.

Knock on wood nothing has broken yet just the rear body mounts bending due to multiple landing on top jumps, a couple of straight nails and zip ties have fixed that issue.
MD, Billy Kelly and JC3 like this.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM
JC3
Tech Master

While doing a bit of an overhaul tonight I noticed something that I've forgotten to mention about the 4-Tec's. Something that we have seen on pretty much all of the cars is that the spur gear can back out of the bearing and off of the pin in the shaft. This causes things like a lot of gear noise, a loud whine, a drop in speed/acceleration, or to a completely locked up drivetrain. It's a pretty simple matter to just remove the motor cover and push the gear back into the bearing until you hear the spur click on the pin. On the flip side, once this happens, it may be a good idea to stock a spare spur gear because they do seem to wobble a bit on the pin after that.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:13 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JC3
While doing a bit of an overhaul tonight I noticed something that I've forgotten to mention about the 4-Tec's. Something that we have seen on pretty much all of the cars is that the spur gear can back out of the bearing and off of the pin in the shaft. This causes things like a lot of gear noise, a loud whine, a drop in speed/acceleration, or to a completely locked up drivetrain. It's a pretty simple matter to just remove the motor cover and push the gear back into the bearing until you hear the spur click on the pin. On the flip side, once this happens, it may be a good idea to stock a spare spur gear because they do seem to wobble a bit on the pin after that.

That's good to know. Is it possible that the bearing is wearing out?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:22 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
That's good to know. Is it possible that the bearing is wearing out?
I suppose that is possible. However, the bearing isn't responsible for holding the spur onto the driveshaft. The pin does that when the spur snaps in place over it.

I think that it is just the result of a weakness in the design of the spur mounting relative to the power of the motor and the amount of braking that can be generated with sticky tires. Of course, adding some bashing into the mix doesn't help. lol

Next time I have the diff out, I plan to look into a way to keep the spur in place better. May not be possible, but it's worth a try.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JC3
I suppose that is possible. However, the bearing isn't responsible for holding the spur onto the driveshaft. The pin does that when the spur snaps in place over it.

I think that it is just the result of a weakness in the design of the spur mounting relative to the power of the motor and the amount of braking that can be generated with sticky tires. Of course, adding some bashing into the mix doesn't help. lol

Next time I have the diff out, I plan to look into a way to keep the spur in place better. May not be possible, but it's worth a try.

I wonder if you could put a drop or two of goop or shoe goo on the pin, put the spur on and let it dry. That might be a pain when you want to change to the spur gear. You would have to heat it with a heat gun.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:47 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
I wonder if you could put a drop or two of goop or shoe goo on the pin, put the spur on and let it dry. That might be a pain when you want to change to the spur gear. You would have to heat it with a heat gun.
That's not a bad idea. That may be just the little bit of extra strength needed to hold the pin and spur together but make them still removable. Gotta think about that. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:10 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Another outstanding day of 4-Tec racing with 8 racers. Minor failures were a spur that stripped, a leaking shock, spurs that backed out, and a dogbone jammed up. Otherwise, another impressive race day for the 4-Tec's. Some pics of the spur, a car, the B main and the A main.

angrymelon and rtebbe like this.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Leaky shock was user error, poked the diaphragm with my hex when changing the shock oil

rtebbe and JC3 like this.

Last edited by jme27; 08-06-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey everyone,
I recently got my hands on the brushed chassis kit while it was on sale, I've owned it maybe 3 weeks or so. Love the car so far, got plenty of fun bits coming in the mail for it, but moving along.
Being in the hobby for a few years now, I've got a few odds and ends around, so I took a Savox SC-1267 that was in a 8ight I stored away for now due to a lack of interest. Sadly, The servo is far too big, I'm aware its marketed more as a 1/8th scale servo, but looking around it seems like quite a few of Savox's servos are essentially the same case size. I understand that it's already been mentioned a few times in this particular thread that getting some servos to fit in the car is a bit of a challenge if at all possible, But I wanted to just chime in. It looks like servos considered to be "low profile" might fit, but I really won't know for sure until I save the cash.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:07 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Whatbrokenow
Hey everyone,
I recently got my hands on the brushed chassis kit while it was on sale, I've owned it maybe 3 weeks or so. Love the car so far, got plenty of fun bits coming in the mail for it, but moving along.
Being in the hobby for a few years now, I've got a few odds and ends around, so I took a Savox SC-1267 that was in a 8ight I stored away for now due to a lack of interest. Sadly, The servo is far too big, I'm aware its marketed more as a 1/8th scale servo, but looking around it seems like quite a few of Savox's servos are essentially the same case size. I understand that it's already been mentioned a few times in this particular thread that getting some servos to fit in the car is a bit of a challenge if at all possible, But I wanted to just chime in. It looks like servos considered to be "low profile" might fit, but I really won't know for sure until I save the cash.
I am sure most low profile servos would fit. You can go to Amazon and do a search for low profile servos and that way you can look at the reviews of the servos. There is also a problem with the shape of the top of the servo. Sometimes, the servo arm and ball end will rub the top of the servo. When my servo went bad I replaced it with a cheap servo and I had to grind a little off the case with a Dremel. I have posted a link to that servo. I know other racers have posted servos they have used with no problems, The cheap servo I used was HD Power and they make a good low profile servo. Traxxas makes upgraded servos, but I don't know if they make a low profile servo.
Power HD 1501MG Metal Gear Servo | Value Hobby
Old 08-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello again

Originally Posted by MD
I am sure most low profile servos would fit. You can go to Amazon and do a search for low profile servos and that way you can look at the reviews of the servos.
Thanks for the input MD. I'll have to take a look around when I decide to shop for a new servo. I simply tried sticking the other one in as a test, so far the 2075 works well enough.

I got quite a few goodies for my car in the mail today, I couldn't get out of work fast enough! Aluminum adjustable links, STRC Aluminum motor mount, and a Castle Sidewinder 4 / 5700kv combo. It was dark by the time I managed to get all the parts in the car, but I stood by the street lamp at the end of my street, Heck with what the neighbors thought, I wanted to test my car, lol. Currently it's geared at 18/70, I'm sure that's barely going to tax the system, but I'd like to properly give it a few good runs before I mess with the gearing. It was immediately apparent though that the stock tires, while they worked well enough with the stock 12T motor, are not enough for the new electronics. Being fairly new to on-road, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for tires for unprepared asphalt use, I'm looking at foams due to the low cost but I'm mostly interested in just getting the car to hook up. I'm also wondering with new wheels and tires what people are doing about hexes. I stuck a pair of really old carpet tires on the car I had laying about from another project and the track was very narrow.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.