Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome! >

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree261Likes

Traxxas 4Tec2.0 Ford GT...this thing is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Mainly cause i just had them lying around, won 3 in a heli raffle years ago and never got to using them in a heli.

normally in my bashers i don't mind the 2075, its waterproof and has served my rustler for years, however this servo has like twice the torque and is insanely fast perfect for using a gyro for onroad speed runs.

It was weird timing though the universe forced my hand as my daughters Slash I got at the same time as my 4Tec's servo went dead so i put in the 4tecs 2075 with servo wire extension in her slash.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

On Saturday I ran my 4-Tec 2.0 at Hobbytown in St. Charles, IL, in the open touring class. I ran 35t/62T piñon and spur combination. It was faster, but not as fast as the top guys. I used the old HPI Advan tires and it drove very well. It was over geared for the length of the straight away. I reached top speed about the same time had to slow down at the end of the straight away. At the end of the straight the car would push and I slid into then boards a couple of times. I was happy with it considering I am running a heavy 550 brushed motor and my gearing was off. I didn't break anything. I am going to have to find another set of tires. The old Advans are about worn out. I will probably run some Tamiya tires I have left from running the TCS races. I may also try the Sorex 36 tires. It seems to be a popular tire. Have a friend in Florida and that is their tire of choice outside in a parking lot set up. I am also considering buying a set of sway bars to eliminate some chassis roll. I am impressed with the durability of the car.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ordered the swaybar kit Friday. Should arrive today. I’ve tried set of used Sweep slicks, not sure of what rating they were, worked good. I’m still currently using the Gravity foams on mine.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

On Saturday I ran my 4-Tec 2.0 at Hobbytown in St. Charles, IL, in the open touring class. I ran 35t/62T piñon and spur combination. It was faster, but not as fast as the top guys. I used the old HPI Advan tires and it drove very well. It was over geared for the length of the straight away. I reached top speed about the same time had to slow down at the end of the straight away. At the end of the straight the car would push and I slid into then boards a couple of times. I was happy with it considering I am running a heavy 550 brushed motor and my gearing was off. I didn't break anything. I am going to have to find another set of tires. The old Advans are about worn out. I will probably run some Tamiya tires I have left from running the TCS races. I may also try the Sorex 36 tires. It seems to be a popular tire. Have a friend in Florida and that is their tire of choice outside in a parking lot set up. I am also considering buying a set of sway bars to eliminate some chassis roll. I am impressed with the durability of the car.
That's great! We had a great race last Sunday. 6 of us in the main. Lap times of the top four were within a few tenths of each other. We're getting these things dialed in with shock/diff oils and tires. Reliability is vastly improved with the aluminum C-hubs and after three heats and a main there was only one failure of a diff cup. The cars owner simply ran out to a local hobby shop between heats and ended up winning the main!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:42 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I ordered the swaybar kit Friday. Should arrive today. I’ve tried set of used Sweep slicks, not sure of what rating they were, worked good. I’m still currently using the Gravity foams on mine.
If we could put sway bars on these things it would be amazing. On our big sweeping outdoor track the 4-Tecs would be blazing fast.

One guy was on foams in our race on Sunday. He did very well on the asphalt. I thought about trying the Sweep slicks but never got around to it. You may give a set of PF VTA's with the proper treatment and break in a try. Satisfaction guaranteed!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JC3
If we could put sway bars on these things it would be amazing. On our big sweeping outdoor track the 4-Tecs would be blazing fast.

One guy was on foams in our race on Sunday. He did very well on the asphalt. I thought about trying the Sweep slicks but never got around to it. You may give a set of PF VTA's with the proper treatment and break in a try. Satisfaction guaranteed!
I keep forgetting to try the PF tires. I have both my VTA and 4Tec at the races. Just get caught up running my other stuff. It briefly looked like we might get a few other 4Tec owners. But they haven’t come back.

Swaybars were a cheap upgrade, figure it’s been a full year of running box stock, time for minor change.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 AM
MD
Tech Champion

JC3 - Sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun. That's really the important thing. I just ordered the sway bar set. They're basically the same price every where. You just have to find someone who will give you the free shipping. I may also order the droop screws. I'll consider the VTA tires.
JC3 likes this.

Last edited by MD; 07-10-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JC3
That's great! We had a great race last Sunday. 6 of us in the main. Lap times of the top four were within a few tenths of each other. We're getting these things dialed in with shock/diff oils and tires. Reliability is vastly improved with the aluminum C-hubs and after three heats and a main there was only one failure of a diff cup. The cars owner simply ran out to a local hobby shop between heats and ended up winning the main!
Do share what shock oil viscosity your using and diff oil (was it mentioned 100wt?) I've put in 35wt for now.

I'm still running mine rally on a loose dirt track and thinking of going with the -2 springs in the rear to help stop some bounce, the sway bars were installed a few weeks ago and LOVE them not getting many roll overs now from corners after jumps.

BTW I haven't had a single issue with the c-hub or dog bone failing, however I don't have a wall to crash into, just 4" plastic conduit/wire loom?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau
Do share what shock oil viscosity your using and diff oil (was it mentioned 100wt?) I've put in 35wt for now.

I'm still running mine rally on a loose dirt track and thinking of going with the -2 springs in the rear to help stop some bounce, the sway bars were installed a few weeks ago and LOVE them not getting many roll overs now from corners after jumps.

BTW I haven't had a single issue with the c-hub or dog bone failing, however I don't have a wall to crash into, just 4" plastic conduit/wire loom?
It's believed that the stock shocks come with 30W. Three of us are experimenting with 40, 50, and 60W and will be comparing laptime results at the next race. I'm running 40W now and am considering going higher to 50W to reduce front grip a bit.

In the diffs we are doing the same experiment. I'm running 50/30 and other racers have gone as high at 80/50.

Again, our lap times are withing a few tenths and considering that I'm a horrible driver and they are far better experienced drivers, I may have the edge in setup. After the last race I realized that I have to loosen the car up a bit, hence the 35W shock oil.

Yeah, brush a wooden barrier under full acceleration and you'll likely have a hub/C-hub problem. We've seen it over and over again. Almost every driver in the field had converted over to the aluminum C-hubs, we had a great trouble free race day!

Sway bars are a must have upgrade. We've decided not to go with them for our class. I'm cool with it though, so much fun.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 AM
MD
Tech Champion

I installed 32.5 weight shock oil and the rebound was about zero. I changed that to 50%.I just received an email from Dollar Hobbyz. They have a good sale on the 4-Tec 2.0. They only have the Ford GT in stock.
JC3 likes this.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 AM
JC3
Tech Master

9 4-Tec's in this Sundays race! No joke, everybody had an absolute blast running them. 3 heats and two mains. Guys kept racing even after the mains were over.

After much experimentation, the more skilled racers concluded that there isn't much to be had from varying shock oil weight. The TQ runner said that in his opinion, the biggest gain comes from raising diff fluid weight for more pull out of the corners. VTA tires are the tire of choice now however there is one guy running modified foams with some success (although he is operating outside of the rules and running sway bars.)

We are already talking about how to transition this class to the carpet.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Yesterday I practiced with my 4-Tec at Windy City RC on black carpet. I experimented with different gearing. I started with 35/62, then 33/62 and finally 28/62. I ran sway bars for the first time. The silver seem to work best. I switched out my Traxxas receiver and installed a Spektrum receiver. The smaller pinion resulted in less over heating and with the Spectrum radio I could control the acceleration and top speed more easily with adjustments on then transmitter. I don't know if this makes sense but on the ultra high grip surface a quicker servo might be better. As usual for me, I hit the wall several times and I broke nothing, but my body has seen better days. If you are running the Protoform VTA tires they should be good on black carpet. Since my body is missing a few pieces, I'll be running a McAllister 70 Camaro VTA body next. I think a 4-Tec Class on carpet would be a lot of fun.
Billy Kelly and JC3 like this.

Last edited by MD; 07-17-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MD
Yesterday I practiced with my 4-Tec at Windy City RC on black carpet. I experimented with different gearing. I started with 35/62, then 33/62 and finally 28/62. I ran sway bars for the first time. The silver seem to work best. I switched out my Traxxas receiver and installed a Spektrum receiver. The smaller pinion resulted in less over heating and with the Spectrum radio I could control the acceleration and top speed more easily with adjustments on then transmitter. I don't know if this makes sense but on the ultra high grip surface a quicker servo might be better. As usual for me, I hit the wall several times and I broke nothing, but my body has seen better days. If you are running the Protoform VTA tires they should be good on black carpet. Since my body is missing a few pieces, I'll be running a McAllister Firebird VTA body next. I think a 4-Tec Class on carpet would be a lot of fun.
In an earlier post you mentioned you are running a heavy brushed motor, is that the stock Titan 12T u mentioned or another motor?

I'm only asking since I'm on the stock 21/70? gearing and my motor temps with heatsink are only getting to about 150deg f on a 90deg day so I'm thinking of gearing up a bit.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MD
Yesterday I practiced with my 4-Tec at Windy City RC on black carpet. I experimented with different gearing. I started with 35/62, then 33/62 and finally 28/62. I ran sway bars for the first time. The silver seem to work best. I switched out my Traxxas receiver and installed a Spektrum receiver. The smaller pinion resulted in less over heating and with the Spectrum radio I could control the acceleration and top speed more easily with adjustments on then transmitter. I don't know if this makes sense but on the ultra high grip surface a quicker servo might be better. As usual for me, I hit the wall several times and I broke nothing, but my body has seen better days. If you are running the Protoform VTA tires they should be good on black carpet. Since my body is missing a few pieces, I'll be running a McAllister Firebird VTA body next. I think a 4-Tec Class on carpet would be a lot of fun.
one of these Sundays I’ve got to get up there.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau
In an earlier post you mentioned you are running a heavy brushed motor, is that the stock Titan 12T u mentioned or another motor?

I'm only asking since I'm on the stock 21/70? gearing and my motor temps with heatsink are only getting to about 150deg f on a 90deg day so I'm thinking of gearing up a bit.
Yes, I am running the 12t 550 motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.