World GT-R Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
Kave,

Jones'in to race with you...what track?
We are done for the year but we race at LSRCC - Lake Superior RC Car Club. We race up in Superior and have 2 big races a year. The first being in January and it generally draws about 120 entires and then our big World of Wheels race that is 200+ and is hosted at a local area car show. We would be glad to have you guys for either race!

It also might be worth checking out the Midwest Indoor Championships hosted by Genesis RC in early November. That race is over in Marshall MN.
celt likes this.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Sounds like I should move to Wisconsin...
Bill,

I live three blocks from the track...you make it here, you have a place to stay!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default here's the thing...

This class is not "holy crap that's fast."

Few mortals I know can actually race at that speed - I only know a few. Racing isn't just following a guy for a lap and crashing out, the other dude checks out.

Racing to me, is both competitors having absolute control of their vehicles to the extent that you have brain cycles left over to actually set a guy up for a pass that you've followed for a few laps. You see where he is erring in a particular corner, you plan it, wait for it, and then execute it.

Nothing more satisfying!

Funny thing is, I've been setup for a pass the same way..."well played man, that was awesome!"

We've forgotten how to "race," let alone how to control our cars in traffic. This class makes that possible.

Also, I refuse to agree that this is a class for beginners only, it's a drivers class, it's for those who really enjoy competitive racing, not just going fast.
aracefan likes this.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Kave,

Jones'in to race with you...what track?
Lake Superior R/C Club - News
Old 05-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

This class is not "holy crap that's fast."

Few mortals I know can actually race at that speed - I only know a few. Racing isn't just following a guy for a lap and crashing out, the other dude checks out.

Racing to me, is both competitors having absolute control of their vehicles to the extent that you have brain cycles left over to actually set a guy up for a pass that you've followed for a few laps. You see where he is erring in a particular corner, you plan it, wait for it, and then execute it.

Nothing more satisfying!

Funny thing is, I've been setup for a pass the same way..."well played man, that was awesome!"

We've forgotten how to "race," let alone how to control our cars in traffic. This class makes that possible.

Also, I refuse to agree that this is a class for beginners only, it's a drivers class, it's for those who really enjoy competitive racing, not just going fast.
My version of this.... Here comes the leaders, how do I get out of their way and not lose more than a tenth.
aracefan likes this.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
My version of this.... Here comes the leaders, how do I get out of their way and not lose more than a tenth.
That to is an artform.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I agree, that is what attracts me to F1. We just suggest the class to new racers, not only because it is durable, but also it is fun.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Bill,

I live three blocks from the track...you make it here, you have a place to stay!
What track do you guy race at? I just moved to TX from the Madison WI area?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dzydvl
What track do you guy race at? I just moved to TX from the Madison WI area?
Move back!

https://www.facebook.com/Madison-Are...7082950985839/

M.A.R.C.C.A.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Richard,

Because WGT-R is a "momentum class", I don't find much need for good brakes. Braking a rwd car unsettles it; so, try the Tekin with the booster first. That was my original ESC for 1S racing.

Bill
Yes it is a momentum class but properly set up drag and push brake can give you a real advantage on tighter, technical tracks or even that one hairpin that gives you issues. 2wd cars are the most critical and low bite tracks can give you even greater fits. In F1 I even have the ABS function tuned for maximum deceleration and control.
I used to race short track stock cars and properly getting into a corner was just as important as coming out. Those that didn't spend the time on both were usually last.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Bill,

Stan,

Did't notice your post til now.

Is there a "carpet season" up there? Or, do you race all year?

Bill
Old 05-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Stan,

Did't notice your post til now.

Is there a "carpet season" up there? Or, do you race all year?

Bill
Turn-out is certainly better in the winter months (it's always winter in Wisconsin, from San Diego), but we race all year around.

The off-road guys go outside and we try to keep a small group of on-road running. Relaxing actually...a month or two of tuning, trying different things out.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Load up the RV Bill! I'm not bragging on celt or the other guys I race with, but if we took our club out to play we might turn some heads. We really don't know how good we stack up. At least the top 4 or 5 guys are above average. Stan doesn't make mistakes, v_squared is always there at end if not winning and Columbo is just plain fast. Jeff has just returned from a long break from the hobby and is on the verge of winning again with my old SE. Chris is learning and tries hard and only a couple laps down. I'm the one perpetually one lap off the pace, but getting up there slowly and learning every pack I run.
My too big RV is history. Sold it due to all the orthopedic stuff going on with me this year. Should have a replacement next year. But, it probably won't get me there during your winters. LOL
Old 05-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=liljohn1064;14931055]Hobbywing makes a nice booster that works with all of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tekins that run 1S firmware. It goes for right around $23 US, but is available globally.

Thanks for the response, ( I had to remove the URL, since I'm a noobie around here lol) I do appreciate it, will definitely look into it. Although when you factor in the price of the booster in I may trade the Tekin RSX in for one of the other 1S options. Outside of the price discount I got, Tekin has always been REALLY good to me when it comes to answering questions, and in this last case a warranty repair that could have been deemed a "User error" instead of fixing it for free.

As for the motor decision, you mentioned 17.5, well the place I run in North Texas (Dallas area) our GT-R class runs a 13.5, so that's where that decision came from.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.