Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tim Kowal
Rick, Can you post your Tamiya track setup for those of us coming out to RROC, Thanks!
I am using
this one from the Speedtech race last month.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default 3mm shim

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
I'm curious how you'd set this chassis up for med grip asphalt. I have my stock carbon chassis setup up with 3mm of shim all around. Curious how the aluminum chassis would react with that much shim.
What ride height and droop are you running? Our track is med grip asphalt, fairly large with banked sweepers. Do you think the higher roll center would be better than the stock .5mm shims?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am using
this one from the Speedtech race last month.
Dear Rick, thanks for joining this very interesting setup.

As a relative TC6 newby, I've only run my car on carpet yet. If I read your setup correctly, many things are very different from, if not the "opposite" of my carpet setup (which is largely based on Keven Heberts Horseham setup), for example:

- front trackwidth is narrow, rear is medium
- camber links are long
- longer wheel base
- softer damper oil
- more camber
- front gear diff
- completely different roll center

If you have time, could you elaborate on that differences and especially on your choices of roll center settings?

E.g., you put 3mm of shims under the suspension mounts all around, which is 2.5mm over carpet / kit setup . Then you also raised the inner camber links but less than that and raised the outer camber links by around 1mm. Which all in all (at a given ride height) leeds to quite different suspension angles. The suspension arms would sit more "inside up / outside down" and the camber links "outside up / inside down" (compared to carpet / kit setup). This of course leeds to a very different (higher) roll center and more rolling I guess. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now if I compare that setup to your Kissimee / worlds warm-up setup, the main differences seem to be in those roll center settings. Am I right in asuming, that the Tamiya track has more and narrower turns than Kissimee and that your Speedtech setup gives more grip / rotation, whereas the Kissimee setup gives a more stable car for the high speed track?

Last question: for stock class (13.5T) on a smaller and narrower track (probably, nobody's seen it yet, ETS Mattsee) would you rather recommend the Speedtech setup as a starting point? BTW, wouldn't you like to come over to europe some day and join one of the ETS races? All the european top drivers are there, so there's really tough competition, I guess Juho told you about that...

Edit: here's the track layout:

I'd be very happy about an answer of any length ...

Christian

Last edited by skyball; 05-07-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: added track preview
Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

So me did a bit of testing with a disconnected servo mount from the bell cranks, and it definitely feels about the same it might have some initial bite into the corners especially on high speed turns. However once I got use to it the car was very consistent. In a comparison test I ran the car with the stock servo mount, and ran it about twenty laps. I then took the car off the track and swapped out to the new servo mount and redoped the tires, nothing else and went back onto the track. My laps fast laps were the same as before however the consistency of the car was much better, and it was easier to drive for me. The lap times with the stock servo mount were 8.3-8.5 the lap times with the new servo mount were 8.3-8.4. So definitely looking into.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
So me did a bit of testing with a disconnected servo mount from the bell cranks, and it definitely feels about the same it might have some initial bite into the corners especially on high speed turns. However once I got use to it the car was very consistent. In a comparison test I ran the car with the stock servo mount, and ran it about twenty laps. I then took the car off the track and swapped out to the new servo mount and redoped the tires, nothing else and went back onto the track. My laps fast laps were the same as before however the consistency of the car was much better, and it was easier to drive for me. The lap times with the stock servo mount were 8.3-8.5 the lap times with the new servo mount were 8.3-8.4. So definitely looking into.
Haven't received mine yet

I think Cristian is a little busy right now hehe.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Mike, yours has not shipped because you ordered it along with the chassis. If you want me to ship it before, let me know and we can get that taken care of.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Mike, yours has not shipped because you ordered it along with the chassis. If you want me to ship it before, let me know and we can get that taken care of.
No no no. Sorry I should have been a little more clear. Mine can wait. I was trying to imply that I hadn't seen you around on here in a few days and you were probably pretty busy. I'm always satisfied on your timeliness of orders. Sorry for the confusion there.

BTW Cristian, did you ever figure out what anodizing scheme you were going with?

Last edited by Carnage9270; 05-07-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, I have been doing a lot of the body testing over the past couple of days. Exciting times!!!

Our R10A body really works well with the AE's stable nature. It actually helps the car rotate much quicker. So much that I no longer like the Mazdaspeed 6 :P

As for the chassis, we settled on Black with silver polished edges. Our RSD logo will also be lazer engraved on the bottom of the chassis on the motor side.They look really good. They should be done sometime next week.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Yes, I have been doing a lot of the body testing over the past couple of days. Exciting times!!!

Our R10A body really works well with the AE's stable nature. It actually helps the car rotate much quicker. So much that I no longer like the Mazdaspeed 6 :P

As for the chassis, we settled on Black with silver polished edges. Our RSD logo will also be lazer engraved on the bottom of the chassis on the motor side.They look really good. They should be done sometime next week.
Chassis should look really good. Had a chance to do any asphalt testing?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Guys

quick setup question what is the advantages of running shims under the inner and outter arm mounts, does higher arm mounts work with lower grip tracks??

Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skyball
Dear Rick, thanks for joining this very interesting setup.

As a relative TC6 newby, I've only run my car on carpet yet. If I read your setup correctly, many things are very different from, if not the "opposite" of my carpet setup (which is largely based on Keven Heberts Horseham setup), for example:

- front trackwidth is narrow, rear is medium
- camber links are long
- longer wheel base
- softer damper oil
- more camber
- front gear diff
- completely different roll center

If you have time, could you elaborate on that differences and especially on your choices of roll center settings?

E.g., you put 3mm of shims under the suspension mounts all around, which is 2.5mm over carpet / kit setup . Then you also raised the inner camber links but less than that and raised the outer camber links by around 1mm. Which all in all (at a given ride height) leeds to quite different suspension angles. The suspension arms would sit more "inside up / outside down" and the camber links "outside up / inside down" (compared to carpet / kit setup). This of course leeds to a very different (higher) roll center and more rolling I guess. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now if I compare that setup to your Kissimee / worlds warm-up setup, the main differences seem to be in those roll center settings. Am I right in asuming, that the Tamiya track has more and narrower turns than Kissimee and that your Speedtech setup gives more grip / rotation, whereas the Kissimee setup gives a more stable car for the high speed track?

Last question: for stock class (13.5T) on a smaller and narrower track (probably, nobody's seen it yet, ETS Mattsee) would you rather recommend the Speedtech setup as a starting point? BTW, wouldn't you like to come over to europe some day and join one of the ETS races? All the european top drivers are there, so there's really tough competition, I guess Juho told you about that...

I'd be very happy about an answer of any length ...

Christian
Hi Christian - The Horsham carpet track and the asphalt tracks I generally race on are very different in terms of grip and size so the setup is quite different. The differences you list were things that over time we felt made the car better - more corner speed and steering in particular. it is a matter of trying them and seeing an improvement.

I almost always use a gear diff on asphalt. I feel the car is easier to drive, has more steering, and is easier on front tires. At the Worlds warm up the track was so big and the cars were set up to produce a lot of power so a gear diff did not work well under heavy acceleration.

We have been playing with a very high roll center since as far back as 2008 on both carpet and asphalt. for some reason this has worked very well on the AE cars . I am not sure why and I don't think it is the optimum setup but I seem to always fall back on it because I know it will work.

The Kissimmee tires were lower grip that normal due to overheating. So I tried to use the lower roll center to increase grip. I think it worked well but I was not fast enough so maybe it was not as good as my normal high roll center setup.

I will try to make it to some ETS races but it is a difficult thing to do with my schedule. But I hope to make some on asphalt.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

http://teamassociated.com/parts/details/31643/ has anyone tried these. They are the delrin outdrives.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

http://teamassociated.com/parts/details/31643/ has anyone tried these. They are the delrin outdrives.
They look very similar to the A-plus ones which i have ran for ever and i love them, other people said they have broken them alot.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by onroad racer
They look very similar to the A-plus ones which i have ran for ever and i love them, other people said they have broken them alot.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Hmm well he only thing I dont like about the current ones is that it eats up blades. I have to replace the one side about every other race day and the opposite side the next week
I use AE's steel sppol outdrives. No blades required and they will last much longer than the delrin versions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.