Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Darkseid
I have 2 TA05's, for myself and my son.
We only use them to run the Tamiya TCS series, along with Mini Coopers.
Maybe you didn't notice the total price of the Xray, but its a lot less than the TA05 and doesn't need any more hop-ups to be competitive.
I dont know where you race, but I have yet to see a TA05 be competitive in any of the major races, Reedy, Vegas or elsewhere.
After having spent a small fortune on 415's just to keep them current plus a boxfull of suspension blocks, they were no where near as competitive as the Xrays right out of the box.
Just look at the support you get with Xray, check out there website, you can get setups for just about any trac and all the factory drivers list theirs.
What do you get from Tamiya? A world champ that doesn't even write down his setups, let alone give them out. Think you can find some Nats setups, the locals run almost every Sat, and still squat for help.
Fred Forg
Old 02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

I love my 05 but Fred's right on. You can make an 05 fast, but I would say it is similar in real world terms to putting a purpose built race car up against a souped up street car. The racer is just the better choice.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheehtae
Just to divert you guys out of the topic a bit, will a 0 offdet wheels be OK(will not hit anything) to be installed with the 05 or do you have to stick with a 2 degree offset?
BTW its a medium wheel dish with a 0 degree offset.
TNX
O offset rims will fit with the stock plastic hex hubs, or the 5mm or 6mm aluminum hop-up versions with no rubbing on suspension parts.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbonium
well, myself i ran the car at TCS Memphis last summer with only some TRF shocks, and some steel uni's robbed from my Evo IV... worked rather well for GT3, wound up 3rd behind Doc M. and mike, aka silvershelby, i think...

had just gotten the car the week before, so no prior time for me before that race.

since then, of course i have added the CF shock towers, Aramid belts, oneways, etc... were they must-haves? apparently...!
Ya better get that thing ready for April my man!!! Its on like Donkey Kong in 3 months!!!!!

Brant
Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Not saying the FK05 isn't great bone stock, but I have yet to see anyone leave it that way. Shoot, right out of the box you need a $40 battery strap! And everyone needs basic spares...ie arms, belts, diff parts. So there really is no such thing as a $380 Xray. I had one...raced it all last summer. I kept the bare basic spares and I bet I had at least $500-$600 in it. I have the same basics and some hop-ups for my 05 and I'm still way under $300.

And just because the car isn't being raced at the big races doesn't mean it couldn't compete. But how would it look if Tamiya team drivers abandoned there Ultra awesome $500 MSXs for a so called sport level car. They would lose so much revenue. Think how much they have made on the 415 series!

I do very well with my 05. I usually am in the middle of the A against some VERY good drivers and all of them run HIGH END cars. These drivers can and have been in the top 20 at Snowbirds, Cleveland etc. I have no doubt the only thing keeping my 05 from the top spot is me. If I were to hand my car over the one of the top 3 drivers it WOULD win, period. The car is just as fast as ANY CAR ON THE MARKET!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Turbonium
well, myself i ran the car at TCS Memphis last summer with only some TRF shocks, and some steel uni's robbed from my Evo IV...
Universals for evo 4 fit tao5 standard suspension? Can't find any tao5 universals but I'll try and find evo 4's in my lhs.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Speedtech has the universals in. Once again though, I have yet to put them on my car. Even at full lock the drivetrain seems to have no binding with the dogbones.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Not saying the FK05 isn't great bone stock, but I have yet to see anyone leave it that way. Shoot, right out of the box you need a $40 battery strap! And everyone needs basic spares...ie arms, belts, diff parts. So there really is no such thing as a $380 Xray. I had one...raced it all last summer. I kept the bare basic spares and I bet I had at least $500-$600 in it. I have the same basics and some hop-ups for my 05 and I'm still way under $300.

And just because the car isn't being raced at the big races doesn't mean it couldn't compete. But how would it look if Tamiya team drivers abandoned there Ultra awesome $500 MSXs for a so called sport level car. They would lose so much revenue. Think how much they have made on the 415 series!

I do very well with my 05. I usually am in the middle of the A against some VERY good drivers and all of them run HIGH END cars. These drivers can and have been in the top 20 at Snowbirds, Cleveland etc. I have no doubt the only thing keeping my 05 from the top spot is me. If I were to hand my car over the one of the top 3 drivers it WOULD win, period. The car is just as fast as ANY CAR ON THE MARKET!
If Hara and Rheinard drove an ta05 they'd kick everyones butt. Its them, tamiya and hpi doing most of the winning in terms of high caliber races with really good drivers not just small time races where no other big guns in the field. Tamiya and HPI is the best bang for buck!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, hand Hara an 05...the next day we'd hear "The TA05 is the best car on the market. I have to have one!" LOL
Old 02-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Lest we forget, boys: "you're racing little toy cars for bowling trophies"
Old 02-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by POOKYT
Ya better get that thing ready for April my man!!! Its on like Donkey Kong in 3 months!!!!!

Brant
who, me? no pressure, right?!?!?!?!

we have been thinking of running GT2 this year, as thats the only class i havent run out there! and maybe RWD Mini... cant wait!!! let me know if anyone need another "loaner car", as im sure we can handle it!!!!

Wes
Old 02-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Doc
Lest we forget, boys: "you're racing little toy cars for bowling trophies"
Yeah boy! Cowboy up! Expensive toys for the big boys. Though Hara san is like 5'2"! Maybe its for small men also.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK guys, I need some spacers, 23mm for chassis standoff and some steering posts to go on a Carbon TA-05 chassis, anyone help me out here?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Can anyone answer me why Maryland is getting 2 TCS races and there isn't anything in the midwest? WTF I find it hard to believe that NO tracks in the midwest applied to be in the series...and NO Memphis isn't midwest. I'd like to see something in the Nebraska-Kansas-Oklahoma etc area.

I was really looking forward to getting to a couple races this year until I saw the schedule. I got an 05 and a 415, but I guess Tamiya isn't really interested in their Midwest customers? Unless I want to drive 2000 miles to F*in Maryland or Seattle I'm out of luck. BTW, who the F lives in Maryland .lol
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

Just want to post some more updated pics on the XR05 project (we are almost done and ready to hit the track soon)

On the upcoming Tamiya TA05 carbon nylon parts, those are set for release end of Feb. There are a few items being released middle of Feb., but most of what everyone wants (aka, carbon chassis) is set to release end of Feb., so should be available about 1 week after its released for us

Some of the other hop-ups that just recently been announced will be around early/mid March

We also received another shipment of Tamiya TA05 spare and hop-up parts along with more Xenon Racing TA05 graphite conversion kits

Steve Wang

p.s. I've been asked quite a few times what the price of the XR05 is...my default answer is always "too much!" The XR05 is a show case of TA05 hop-up possibilities, and it was never meant for resale unfortunately.
Steve, what is the width of the xenon lower deck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.