Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

You know it's funny that all these people talk about parts quality and fit and finish. The truth is this car has tons of slop...in the wheel axles, in the steering...everywhere. But, you now what, it doesn't seem to make any difference at all. The car tracks straight as an arrow and carries tons of corner speed, even with NO oneways!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
I moutned "0" offset dishes on mine with no problem...but I do have the 6mm hexes on it.

TNX,I have some spacers that i can use. I have never drove a car with a rubber tire always foam, what brand of insert would you recommend?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

What tires are you using? I usually stick to RP-24-30 premounts (they have medium inserts) or I use Sorex 36Rs with Xenon grey inserts.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have run 24mm 0 offset wheels and 26mm inchup rims with 0 offset on the stock hexes with no issue's, same can't be said for an X-Ray, they have issue's if the webbing on the inside of the wheel it to deep.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What tires are you using? I usually stick to RP-24-30 premounts (they have medium inserts) or I use Sorex 36Rs with Xenon grey inserts.
its for the TCS race-type A and med. insert just don't know what insert is good enough.

TNX
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Champion

Oh, I don't really have much experience with Tamiya tires...it would still depend on surface type and traction. I like Yokomo firms and medium insterts.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi!!!!!!!!!!

any of u guys tried the 3racing conversion kit..........its stiff like hell...more so then any car i tried bending.....it also has a attached velcro battery strap...havent tested it but the boys were saying such a stiff chassis is gona be twitchy.....i dun know? gona trashed it and see how it goes
Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
$200-250. in hop-ups ? who are you trying to kid?
I have my son's TA05, + all TCS legal hopups.
When I added it all up (major mistake on my part) from Ti screw set to LWsusp, shocks, Ti turnbuckles. ceramic diff balls, but without the sway bar set the total came out to $514. at Speedtechs prices. And that does not include the price of the kit!
Now we have 2 of those cars, mine doesn't have all the hop-ups yet, and now probably wont.
I bought a new Xray FK05 for $400 for the kit and all it needed for add ons was a battery strap and multi diff for $91.
The TA05-- $673.
The FK05---$491.
I like the TA05's but it ain't no Xray.
After 3, 2day race + club races the FK05 total cost of replacing broken parts: 0,
nada, nothing broken--PRICELESS!
Fred
LW suspension...ceramic diff balls...Ti screws....

Yeah, those all "must have items".

Like I said, take a look at the threads for those $380+ cars. They are buying just as many hop ups as TA05 owners. Chassis, multi diffs, Ti screws, different arms...

Only difference is, they are starting at $380 where as the TA05 starts at $130.

Trying to claim that in the end, a competitive TA05 is more than an Xray, when people get done buying all hop ups that they want is nonsense.

I've seen the cost of Xray hop ups...

so like I said...nonsense.

"I like the TA05, but it aint no Xray"....then why would you buy two, only to spend nearly $200 more just to make the car competitive.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
But also realize that I'm not dissing the car either. I like my 05 a lot. But to say that "I bought this car and am running it box stock, cleaning up at the local club races" IS mis-leading. Do you need all the hop-ups out there? Definately not. But there are about $200-$250 worth of additional parts that will really take this car to the next level.

I'm not saying your dissing the car.

When did I say that???

What I am saying is that telling people they NEED $200 in hop ups to compete with the car is the real misleading thing.

The idea of a NEEDED hop up is all based on what people think they need. If someone thinks they need universals, then no matter how good the dogbones work, they'll never be good enough in that persons mind.

95% of needed hop ups are all in guys head.

Last edited by Darkseid; 02-01-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Regional Moderator

I think the car box stock can and does keep up with FKs-Jrxs etc. The only real hop up I had to start with my car was the TRF shocks, and the only reason they were put on was for the convenience of ride height adjustment. They are not NEEDED. I have added some other small things, but the only part I have added that made any real difference was the TECH upper deck. My lap times dropped .3-.5 per lap with only that change. I do not have uni-s, no aramid belts, no LW suspension and this car is hands down the best handling car I've owned...and I've owned them all!
I think we should just give it up...

If you stick a $380 price tag on a steeming turd, people will respect it. You stick a $130 price tag on a truly great car, and its not competitive...until it gets enough hop ups to make it a $380 car.

...its just the way of this hobby...

Remember, even when Yokomo team drivers were winning top level races the BOX STOCK $150 MR4, it still wasn't "competitive" with the more expensive cars...until people slapped $200 worth of hop ups on it.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

In my opinion, TA05 is competitive out of the box. Some hop-up parts are really helpful. You don't really need titanium screws and carbon chassis. It's really your driving skills that make your car competitive.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Regional Moderator

Heres one more thing to consider, then I'll leave it alone and let the new comers make up their own mind...

READ BACK THROUGH THE THREAD...

How many of the people here actually TRIED the car stock???

About 98% of the people had hop ups sitting on their bench before they even had the car.

So how can those people say one way or another if the car works in stock form?

One of those things that make you go hmm....

Old 02-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Heres one more thing to consider, then I'll leave it alone and let the new comers make up their own mind...

READ BACK THROUGH THE THREAD...

How many of the people here actually TRIED the car stock???

About 98% of the people had hop ups sitting on their bench before they even had the car.

So how can those people say one way or another if the car works in stock form?

One of those things that make you go hmm....

I don't think many people actually tried a stock TA05. I am pretty sure that 98% of the people hop-up their TA05 before running it for the first time.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trf_racer
I don't think many people actually tried a stock TA05. I am pretty sure that 98% of the people hop-up their TA05 before running it for the first time.
in my own experience, yes i have to agree with you with that one because even before buying the kit i already have the universals,low weight suspension, carbon shock towers, aluminum steering arms, front and center one ways, trf shocks and the front and rear sway bars
Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

well, myself i ran the car at TCS Memphis last summer with only some TRF shocks, and some steel uni's robbed from my Evo IV... worked rather well for GT3, wound up 3rd behind Doc M. and mike, aka silvershelby, i think...

had just gotten the car the week before, so no prior time for me before that race.

since then, of course i have added the CF shock towers, Aramid belts, oneways, etc... were they must-haves? apparently...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.