Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes. But isopropyl alcohol takes it off very easily. I think if I mask off the shape of the headlight it will be okay. It's amazing how easily the alcohol remove it.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

IDK, Ive tried several methods of removing poly paint off lexan and while they all remove the paint, the lexan is always left looking a little cloudy.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up Making a silk purse from a sow's ear...

Originally Posted by wareagle84
IDK, Ive tried several methods of removing poly paint off lexan and while they all remove the paint, the lexan is always left looking a little cloudy.
I feel your pain, Brother!

Although, this doesn't cover the "poly paint" (is that the HPI OEM pre-painted body stuff?) - It does relate...

I dropped $100.00 + shipping for a custom painted (ebay seller supplied & painted) '68 Camaro body to race at the 2012 Scale (USVTA) Nats / The Track @ Harbor Hobbies -

I specifically noted to the seller that I did NOT want the windows "painted out" (his painting method is to paint out the windows) =
Painted out windows are not in accord with the USVTA Rules...
However, slightly tinted would be "acceptable" (I checked with the USVAT Honcho on this) =

So what happens - - -

A) I get the body and all of the windows are painted out...
NOT "tinted" - PAINTED OUT...

So I tried the D.O.T. 4 Brake Fluid method for removing the paint on the windows / I tried one window (see pic #4 below) =
Cloudy...

B) This guy's line of HPI bodies must be factory 2nd rejects (I'm guessing) because the body post holes didn't line up after the dimples were drilled & reamed out...

Consequently, the wheels didn't line up in the wells - - -
I attempted a re-drill/re-ream to "move" the holes / To minimal avail, but acceptable (IMOAO) -

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4708.jpg

Enlarging the wheel wells should compensate some -

Albeit, at scale MPH & after the first turn it won't make much difference whether the body fits right or if the windows are painted/tinted... or not -

Long story, short version / I never made it to the Scale Nats last year anyway -

So, on the wall hangs the body...

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4705.jpg

Many thanks to Carl Seils for the custom decals!!! = [email protected]

http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting...am-decals.html

and

http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting...-stickers.html

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4672.jpgHPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4706.jpgHPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4707.jpg

COMING SOON:

1) An INDEX for this thread =
After Over 100,590 views in less than 18 months (05-22-2012 / 11-21-2013) and several requests/suggestions for same -

2) Battery Forward Move Mod + incidentals to the mod -

And maybe, a "How To Reinforce The Crap Out of A Body VOODOO" post so that gorgeous body you just dropped a bundle of time & money on lasts longer -

To all the S2 racers, grippers, drifters, bashers, track owners & other R/C car enthusiasts that have viewed, read, recommended, posted and/or contributed to this thread =

I, most humbly and graciously, thank all of you!

YOU have made this thread what it is!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nice work Marv, incidentally dot3 brake fluid seems to work better than dot4.

I really like the new shell btw, looks great. If there is anything I can do to help you index the thread let me know buddy =)
Old 11-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

My Sprint 2 may be making a comeback as our local hobby shop is putting in an indoor carpet track for 10th and 12th scale and also carpet off-roads as well. Getting excited should be fun.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike2112
69 mph?! That's insane. I think mine tops out at a blazing 16 mph! Drift baby! Smooth as butter now, but slow as hell. Another pic for good measure!
Looks great! I like the rotors, too!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey yo...VIDEO!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSF5B_7HaUw
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Holy Crap!!! You weren't kidding...

At 1:47-1:49 I was convinced for a microsecond that I was going to see a Sprint 2 explosion. That was a good save from that swerve.

That's the thing I like about drifting indoors...no more mach 2 crashed for me man. I don't miss those days. Now I just get scratched from the walls in the basement.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike2112
Holy Crap!!! You weren't kidding...

At 1:47-1:49 I was convinced for a microsecond that I was going to see a Sprint 2 explosion. That was a good save from that swerve.

That's the thing I like about drifting indoors...no more mach 2 crashed for me man. I don't miss those days. Now I just get scratched from the walls in the basement.
Yeah, that was a "SHUT 'ER DOWN!!!" moment, to say the least! There were a couple in that video!!

I'm going to gear it down; that was just for fun to see what the machine could do. I think a top speed around 50 mph will be perfect, and will bring the power system more in-line with manageable temperatures.

I'm very happy with the modifications I've made as far as long-term survivability, though I will eventually switch to ball diffs. I may get a second car just for drifting!!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Wareagle84 and Marv,

I had great success with some 90% isopropyl, Tamiya masking tape and Mother's Plastic Polish on the headlights! I used Q-Tips and paper towels...not too soaked is the key. And I also noticed you need to keep using new ones quickly or the paint just smears after a minute.

The faint body lines molded into the body really helped make the job easier.

Took some time and patience but it worked better than I expected. After you remove the paint just rub out the haze with the plastic polish. In the pic it almost looks like I cut it out, but the shine is crystal clear in person.

Check it out.... Next I will probably tint them if I don't put in lights. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Sprint 2 Mods-image.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

The plastic polish must be the deal breaker then. I've never thought to try to buff out the haze/cloudiness with polish.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Man! I forgot I sprayed over part of the inside of the shell with a different white paint than HPI used to touch up some ares where I let some alcohol remove some paint (This is how I figured out the isopropyl takes off the paint in the 1st place). I got some on the right headlight. The alcohol DID NOT WORK THERE!!!

The 2nd headlight did not go as well. Instead if 20 minutes and sharp lines, it was over an hour and I needed acetone to get that paint off.

Needless to say I had some haze in the left one from the acetone. I was able to buff most of it out back to clear, but what a headache. Lines were not so crisp either compare to the 1st headlight I did.

Either way here is the end result. Not sure if I like it yet. I over did the number of coats and the tint looks more like black! Here she is.... I also decided to put a CF boarder on.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Sprint 2 Mods-image.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Looks great, nice work!!

I spend too much time setting land speed records upside-down, also setting records for how far a car can skid and/or cartwheel to put that much time into a body...though these cold temps and snow sure tempt me...
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Great looking cars guys!

Great tips too!

Keep 'em coming!

AWESOME SPEED RUN VIDEO beafraid8!!!

Be careful out there =

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Just a headzup:

I'll be changing my Internet Service Provider from ComCrap to AT&T (Always Terrible & Twice as slow) -

I'll be trying out different speeds to see what fits my my wallet /-
So I may be off forum for a bit until I get things sorted out -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.