Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
Kevin I will sell you a Awesomatix for $300 so you be fast and not a Dork.
Little Light sarcasm.
Oh great now there's lightweight sarcasm??? We're gonna need a new rule on this!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

I had actually never seen that “rule” before. I’m sure there are local groups that still believe that. But from what I’ve read here over past few years, I say that it no longer applies.
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am R/C Racing Series
Old 09-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
I’ll take a look at that. I put my VTA based on simple rules, 25.5 motor and tires, in case we had any shoe interest. We did not get any this summer. Hopefully I can try it over winter with a different group
Old 09-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

My favorite rule is the one where if you paint your body like the crazy TC paint jobs, you will be frowned upon.

I don't think I've ever seen it enforced, though.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
My favorite rule is the one where if you paint your body like the crazy TC paint jobs, you will be frowned upon.

I don't think I've ever seen it enforced, though.
Amusingly, "proper" TransAM paint jobs are pretty simple. I picked what might be the most complex of the bunch, and it's only five colors.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
Remember the "Spirit of VTA" rule?
The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all.

And then there's this "rule":
Using ceramic bearings in the motor makes you a dork.

I propose an addition to the above rule:
Running a current version of any chassis costing more than $300 makes you a double-dork. An Awesomatix = King of the Dorks. (or maybe dorkless ?)
I picked up a used A700evo for $300 (actually 3... )
How much is a new AE6.2factory team ?
No i agree with Myron ... People are the Problem.
The cars are slow body dont matter so if someone wants to run a shoebox why cant they ? I'm with the other dude that wants to run a old 50s ccar ... I would paint me up a old Hudson hornet... And paint it up like DOC . I Like being unique .

Beef and moparSRT like this.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
The cars are slow body dont matter so if someone wants to run a shoebox why cant they ? I'm with the other dude that wants to run a old 50s ccar ... I would paint me up a old Hudson hornet... And paint it up like DOC . I Like being unique .
Total agree, maybe not for large events, but at the club level, have run a pantera in the past, now working on a superbird ... 911's, Datsuns & Alfas are cool too

And you don't need anyone's permission here on rctech to run these at YOUR local track
Old 09-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
No i agree with Myron ... People are the Problem.
Yep. Always have been. Always will be.

Originally Posted by moparSRT
And you don't need anyone's permission here on rctech to run these at YOUR local track
FINALLY! Somebody who gets it! At your local track you can do whatever the heck you want.
jlfx car audio, NutDriver and JC3 like this.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Xmas race winner

Traxxas rally/tourer

Man that took long to read through, last time I was here was the low 700 pages. VTA is dead up here, one track closed and at 2 others it switched, one is now Usgt ( more like an X-ray spec class with everyone upgrading to the newest chassis every year along with the motor of the month. ) and the other a slash pro bomber class. Everything around here is touring and drift for on road.

The track that closed ran a traxxas 1/16 class ( slash ,rally, erevo all eventually converted to rally ) that was fun. Big or small block, brushed or brushless set to 50% power on the slicks that came with the Kyle bush truck. I won the xmas race! The VTA class was good 6 - 10 cars small track 48’ straight so they made the motor limit 25.5. I chose the hpi rs4 3 sport figuring new chassis lots of parts! Was I wrong lol. By the end everyone went A.E. 5 or better. Then it closed.

I tried to to make it to a race last winter, rushed and painted a body, came out ok. But ended up having to work that week end.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Racing at the fuzz.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Just in case someone missed the vette hiding in the back here is a better pic ... Nick raced a beautiful corvette body, no its not on the "official gods list" but it is period correct, looked good on the track, had the handling characteristics of a brick and nobody got frowned upon, disqualified or banned from the track

It was actually nice to see something different then the common camaro/mustang

jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Just in case someone missed the vette hiding in the back here is a better pic ... Nick raced a beautiful corvette body, no its not on the "official gods list" but it is period correct, looked good on the track, had the handling characteristics of a brick and nobody got frowned upon, disqualified or banned from the track

Just. Keep stirring. Just keep stirring. Lol
Old 09-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Actually i was looking at the 65 mustang you don't see a lot of those running.
ASM likes this.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kregger
Actually i was looking at the 65 mustang you don't see a lot of those running.
The 66 Mustang was my first VTA body, really like the Coupe https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-196...104926/p193208 too bad it doesn't have a molded in wing ... the 65 hoonicorn & 69 X are bad a$$ if you can find one
Old 09-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

There's are good range of VTA bodies available. What "Vintage Trans Am" car isn't represented? In 1972, there was Pontiac, Chevy, Ford and AMC. So Firebird, Camaro, Mustang, and AMX.

Here's all the cars I can confirm raced in TransAM in the "vintage" era. Mind, these are the >2liter cars. The 2 liter and under class was pretty darned cool too.

Firebird
Camaro
Mustang
Cougar
Javelin AMX
Dart
Barracuda
Challenger
Nova
Falcon

The only cars that aren't represented are the Challenger and Dart. For "racing toy cars" I think we're doing pretty good.

Much beyond 1972, you start seeing Corvettes, and Porsche

Edit: Hey look, i'm wrong.

I missed the Nova, and the Falcon. But.. I mean.. if you really wanted to run a nova body, RJ Speed sells them. I couldn't find a Falcon.

Last edited by Nerobro; 09-17-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: accuracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.