Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'll be "That Guy" - the class is called Vintage Trans Am - not Random Old Cars.

It's racing, not 1/10 scale Hot August Nights.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
with this many bodies on the list, how can the body list be stale?.... be different and run one that you don't see all the time. I started back running the J71 when to many Camaros showed up. Pick some flavor that may make your ride stand out.

Next, who in the heck picks a VTA body for performance?... are you crazy?...you pick a VTA body cause you like the body for its looks or cause you wanted one "back in the day" type stuff
It's not stale, there is a lot of choice but now there are bodies like the ARR Cuda or J-71 Javelin that, at least in my opinion, don't sufficiently resemble the cars they are based on because of chasing aerodynamic performance. The racing is good, but I think it could be more fun with allowing and running more interesting bodies.

Maybe a blanket rule stating that all bodies based on pre-1960 cars could be allowed, regardless of approval.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Maybe a blanket rule stating that all bodies based on pre-1960 cars could be allowed, regardless of approval.
No, just NO...
Kregger, mariob62 and NutDriver like this.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
No, just NO...
Why not? No, just NO... because it wouldn't be fun? No, just NO... because it could be exploited? No, just NO... because why? It's not like I can write the rules but if I did I think this would be fun.

I like 50's car styles. I'd race a 55 chevy body in a heartbeat, even though it would probably be slower I think it would be in the spirit of the class.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Becasue that's not TransAm.

TranAm Started in 1966.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Am_Series
glennhl and belewis01 like this.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:54 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The National body will never change the rules to allow those bodies. The idea would be to lobby your club to open up the body rules if that's what you group wants. Many places I race allow the use of HPI tires...technically illegal under the National rule set but again, as has been stressed by the USVTA leadership, rules can be modified if a club sees fit. When you go to the big races, the written rules will be enforced 100%.
NutDriver, Billy Kelly and JC3 like this.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Why not? No, just NO... because it wouldn't be fun? No, just NO... because it could be exploited? No, just NO... because why? It's not like I can write the rules but if I did I think this would be fun.

I like 50's car styles. I'd race a 55 chevy body in a heartbeat, even though it would probably be slower I think it would be in the spirit of the class.
Start your own class.
jiml likes this.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Man, everybody in here wants to take it so seriously. I guess I got the point of the VTA class wrong.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Remember the "Spirit of VTA" rule?
The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all.

And then there's this "rule":
Using ceramic bearings in the motor makes you a dork.

I propose an addition to the above rule:
Running a current version of any chassis costing more than $300 makes you a double-dork. An Awesomatix = King of the Dorks. (or maybe dorkless ?)
DesertRat, NutDriver and chjosi like this.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Kevin I will sell you a Awesomatix for $300 so you be fast and not a Dork.
Little Light sarcasm.
ZeroDown7169 likes this.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
Remember the "Spirit of VTA" rule? I propose an addition to the above rule:
Running a current version of any chassis costing more than $300 makes you a double-dork. An Awesomatix = King of the Dorks. (or maybe dorkless ?)

I completely agree with that..."Remember the "Spirit of VTA" rule?" The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all.​​​​​​​
Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KE4PJO
I completely agree with that..."Remember the "Spirit of VTA" rule?" The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all.
I had actually never seen that “rule” before. I’m sure there are local groups that still believe that. But from what I’ve read here over past few years, I say that it no longer applies.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

it applies...but the only issues are trying to keep a stock pile of discontinued parts... I personally think the TC3 is the best VTA car next to the shaft AX.... but Im out of TC3 parts and have no desire to pay over price parts of Ebay… the money plays into the newer chassis and newer tech.... but if you a VTA racer like me...you still see the TC4 and older make the A-main and win. The weight tires motors battery and even bodies play a great part in keeping the cars on par with the spirit... and if you don't think so … I loaned my daughters TC4 to a racer at my home track and he was right in the mix of the TC7.1 and other high dollar chassis.

It can be done and the Spirit lives on …..no matter what chassis motor servo battery or body
Old 09-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
it applies...but the only issues are trying to keep a stock pile of discontinued parts... I personally think the TC3 is the best VTA car next to the shaft AX.... but Im out of TC3 parts and have no desire to pay over price parts of Ebay… the money plays into the newer chassis and newer tech.... but if you a VTA racer like me...you still see the TC4 and older make the A-main and win. The weight tires motors battery and even bodies play a great part in keeping the cars on par with the spirit... and if you don't think so … I loaned my daughters TC4 to a racer at my home track and he was right in the mix of the TC7.1 and other high dollar chassis.

It can be done and the Spirit lives on …..no matter what chassis motor servo battery or body
+1......
Old 09-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
I'll be "That Guy" - the class is called Vintage Trans Am - not Random Old Cars.

It's racing, not 1/10 scale Hot August Nights.
I think it would be a lot more fun if it were 1/10 Hot August Nights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.