Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Okay #USVTANation the 2019 ROAR Carpet Nationals at Prolevel Raceway is right around the corner. This is a great opportunity for the VTA racers across the country. The chance to bring Vintage TransAm back to the ROAR National event and show the WORLD what the class is all about. We are doing a handout tire to keep the racing even closer. And at a great price for a set of tires that will last months. $40 for the set. Top VTA guys will be there to assist any racer needing help with proper break in for the tires or trying to get that 10th or information on the class including paint motors and driver figures that make the class so cool. Sign up for this great event and make a strong showing for the #USVTANation. A great turnout at this event means that VTA would have been run at EVERY major carpet race in the U.S. except Vegas...Hi Scotty... Let's show up and SHOW OUT!!!! #USVTANATION #APEXVTAMAFIA http://www.roarracing.com/national_races.php
Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

I will be waiting to see how well handout Protoform VTA tires work out. With limited amounts of track time for practice my gut says it will not be a great idea.

At our club races most VTA guys are thinking the protoform tires need addressed.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Tires

[QUOTE=DARKSIDE;15399905]Okay #USVTANation the 2019 ROAR Carpet Nationals at Prolevel Raceway is right around the corner. This is a great opportunity for the VTA racers across the country. The chance to bring Vintage TransAm back to the ROAR National event and show the WORLD what the class is all about. We are doing a handout tire to keep the racing even closer. And at a great price for a set of tires that will last months. $40 for the set. Top VTA guys will be there to assist any racer needing help with proper break in for the tires or trying to get that 10th or information on the class including paint motors and driver figures that make the class so cool. Sign up for this great event and make a strong showing for the #USVTANation. A great turnout at this event means that VTA would have been run at EVERY major carpet race in the U.S. except Vegas...Hi Scotty... Let's show up and SHOW OUT!!!! #USVTANATION #APEXVTAMAFIA http://www.roarracing.com/national_races.

what is the proper break in that these top guys are doing . I would like to spread this to our guys struggling with break in
Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AlBundy
I will be waiting to see how well handout Protoform VTA tires work out. With limited amounts of track time for practice my gut says it will not be a great idea.

At our club races most VTA guys are thinking the protoform tires need addressed.
My thought exactly, guys that know how to quickly break in the protoform tires off the track will be a lot faster then guys that want to mount them on there cars and run them just like you could with any other tire.
The need to grind/sand/heat cycle/chemically soak a tire before its usable is ridiculous. Not legal either LOL

You want a hand out PF tire then have everyone mount brand new tires 1 minute before the main I would love to see that

Good luck to all racers
Old 02-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
My thought exactly, guys that know how to quickly break in the protoform tires off the track will be a lot faster then guys that want to mount them on there cars and run them just like you could with any other tire.
The need to grind/sand/heat cycle/chemically soak a tire before its usable is ridiculous. Not legal either LOL

You want a hand out PF tire then have everyone mount brand new tires 1 minute before the main I would love to see that

Good luck to all racers
We might as well call VTA "Drift Cars" if everyone mounted brand new tires 1 minute before the main.
chiefj48 and XSRCdesign like this.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Im glad we didn't sign up as trying to run on new tires looking like a a$$
chiefj48 likes this.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

JC3 likes this.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtsbell
Im glad we didn't sign up as trying to run on new tires looking like a a$$
These protoform tires are a joke and going to kill vta cause nobody wants to deal with them . Hopefully they do something before it kills the class .
Marcos.J, chiefj48 and XSRCdesign like this.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Just think how long those bricks will last!! You only need to buy one set and they will last forever.
Lol
Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

really guys?...are you really still complaining about "tires" ...tires that everyone else in the same class is running?...same tires that helped make VTA a class that is run with great results and attendance at every major carpet race in the country and Canada, not to mention many many regional events and local clubs with record breaking entries like Apex...where we average 20 VTA every week...?

Why?...if tires make you or break you to run this class that the guy on the stand and pits is using the same tires.....RC racing in general isn't for you period. If I run Mod TC...and we all using Jaco blues...should I quit cause Paul or Keven know how to get the tires working faster or better than me?....or Bill got his Gravity USGT tires hooked up better than me and that's why he won?....

come on guys...stop picking the class apart cause you don't agree or dislike something, or you just cant figure it out.... I love this class and all the USVTA classes...but the negative crap that is spread here is getting crazy....

and FYI...I break my tires in by just putting in laps...nothing more or less... once they get tippy , I go ahead and glue the sidewall...done... and that's what Ive done from start to finish.... run the tires sauce, run the tire sauce...repeat till they feel good... I promise I run more VTA than any of you here and I have never had an issue with tires from PF or HPI... Ive seen defects in production but never a set I couldn't get to work.

sorry for the rant but you guys need to understand PF stepped up to "HELP" not to hurt... and not to really make much profit either, cause if they did the tire would be super soft and not last long...then we would all be complaining about that too...

Lets try and enjoy the class...help each other, and for all things good in RC, stop constantly complaining about every damn thing that's here to help the class and Onroad RC in general

My 10 years worth of Vintage TransAm
MEK Battman
f1larry, qcrc, slakr and 3 others like this.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Hey Batman
The complaints are justified and directed at the powers to be who Will NOT let PF make a different tire. You stated or implied last season that we would see some changes in the tires, and to date we haven’t heard anything.
As far as you racing or promoting VTA longer or more than anyone?? I agree that you are one of the biggest VTA ambassadors of this class and I personally applaud you!!
No one on here wants to see VTA die. We ALL want to see it grow, and right now we have a tire issue that has fallen on deaf ears.
If you really want to help VTA grow, and I truly believe you do, then get us the tires we need instead of telling us to be thankful for an inferior product.
Thank you for all that you do, and continue to do for this class.
Joe
Marcos.J, Raman, old_dude and 2 others like this.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

I for one love racing in this class. I also believe that the tires were what helped get back to its place in popularity. I also believe that the tires need fixed. I originally felt that the ballooning issue was something that was controllable and I work around it. But in paying close attention it affects the performance of the car quite a bit. Less experienced racers, and we have many of them in the class, can become frustrated with this and just plain quit racing altogether. That is not what we want at all.
So I will join the voice in asking that PF come up with a better tire.
chiefj48 and XSRCdesign like this.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
I for one love racing in this class. I also believe that the tires were what helped get back to its place in popularity. I also believe that the tires need fixed. I originally felt that the ballooning issue was something that was controllable and I work around it. But in paying close attention it affects the performance of the car quite a bit. Less experienced racers, and we have many of them in the class, can become frustrated with this and just plain quit racing altogether. That is not what we want at all.
It’s not up to Protoform. They said they could if they were authorized.
chiefj48 likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
I can guarantee that if there was a change in the of tire there would still be complaints about the tires, it is a societal issue of not taking accountability for ones own actions, just like people complaining about schools because their kids get in trouble instead of parenting their own kids. It’s always someone else’s fault when something doesn’t go right or work.
Less experienced drivers quit when they can’t get their car to work and see others that do get it to work because it’s easier to quit than put in the work. They see others make it look easy and don’t realize the hours upon hours of work that is been put in. Instead of learning it’s just easier to quit and blame the tires.
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

It’s not up to Protoform. They said they could if they were authorized.
I stand corrected. But we the racers need to apply pressure to USVTA and get them to move on this and then PF to design a better tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.