3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoBrainer
Hey Guys.
Desperate for some help....

Not long ago I bought a FGX. Since I love F1 and love the looks of it.
Bought FGX because of independent rear suspension.

But on my first run I see that my inner front wheel is lifting and on power my front is "jumping".
So I went out and bought some hop-ups. My car have this list now:

FGX
Speedpassions Cirtix Stock Club race ESC
Speedpassions MMM3 17.5R motor
CRC 4200mAh shortypack battery
Futaba S9550 servo
Futaba 4PK transmitter
Soft shimizu grooved tires front and rear
carbon lower chassi
35T spur
28T pinion

Rear:
alu bulk head
hardest sway bar
Original silicon oil in the diff and the dampers (that came with the kit)
extra stiffner for upper chassi
1 deg camber on rear wheels

Front:
spring set in front (hardest springs)
v2 front arms
35g weight
1 deg camber alu mount
1 deg camber on front wheel
1 deg toe-out

Now I need some help on getting my setup so that my front don't go 3 wheels on every turn. I like the speed of it now. Can't go any further with the pinion without modifying t a lot! But thats not my problem right now.

Any tip would be appreciated!
Use the stiffest rear spring you can find, I didn't see it noted. The car is laying over on the weakest corner. I run the Blue stripe option spring and think it might still not be quite stiff enough for the highest speed, highest load corners. The F201 springs are rated heavier, but hard to come by (since everyone bought them all!). That is my next search and hopefully my last upgrade for a while. Other than that, your setup looks spot on!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Maybe you guys misunderstood what I meant by smaller 48p diff ring gear. I think the diff ring gear has 39t and the middle gear is 17t, but not 48p. So if 3Racing came out with an internal gear set in true 48p and 58t ring gear and 32t middle gear for example, you guys would not ever need to grind anything to fit bigger pinion gears on the motor. I am going to try to fit the smallest diff possible to hopefully find a solution....
Those gears are more like 32p, but metric, so I know what you mean. Mechanically, what you say makes sense. Physically, as far as the motor, you will make smoke trying to get a 21.5 to run an FDR with that tall of gearing in an FGX, depending on the motor and other circumstances of course. If I keep my cars geared between 3.5 at the tallest and 4.5 FDR at the shortest, I will be geared for a 21.5 at most if not all tracks. The thing that would improve gearing choices the most is overall weight: less load, shorter tires, taller gearing and still have torque at the top end without having to overdraw current (motor and ESC heat). The one tell tale that my cars are geared to tall is lack of braking available in the ESC. My cars are geared to the point where the brakes work on the course, but will never completely lock the rear wheels unless nearly stopped. By being conservative, my FGXs (both of them) do not drop off in lap time for almost a half an hour runs. They come off the track at 155 to 160 after 25+ minutes practice runs. A normal run of 8 minutes and they come off a nice 140 or so. As a comparison, I put the heavily modified F103, Novak SS21.5, foam tired car back together and ran it hard last week. It ran 4 tenths faster and most of that is due to the shorter foam tires. It is geared at about 2.50 and rollout right around 1.75 inches (off the top of my head). It gets warm, maybe 130 or so on a normal run. I'm going to try some TRG super soft slicks on it. I've had them for a couple years, but never glued and trued them until this week. Now the car of mine you would like to run is the 10th scale pan chassis RC IndyCars Spitfire. I got that dialed in again last week too, but only to prove it could still run. It currently has a 17.5 in it, but could easily go on a nice large asphalt track with a 10.5 in it. With a 21.5 it just isn't fair for the class.

Do you have your FGX up and running yet?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by k_bojar
hey all - got 2 questions...

1) what is the general consensus on tires? I'll be running on a fairly prepared asphalt track, recently re-sealed, but not smooth. I've seen guys saying the Pits are good, and others saying the Rides were good - so I'm a little confused on which to start with

2) has anyone found a motor that the motor mount stiffener actually works with? i've test fit my ballastic, Thunder Power, and a SP v3 and all hit the damn mount...

oh and a 3rd question

are either the McKune or Exotek upper decks available separately? I know Mantis has one, but was wondering if the others are available separately

thanks!
#1 - Pit grooved tires for carpet and outside, 561 and 565, but wear heavily outdoors. Ride medium rears are fine, but all of their fronts are too hard for carpet. I have not tested Rides on a hot outdoor surface, but would expect the front super softs to finally work. The HPI Bridgstones have had good reviews for outdoors.

#2 - The option mount for the back side of the motor? I stayed away from that one. It just didn't look right. I couldn't see how it would fit under the can, so never bought one.

For #3, Troy at one time did hint he would offer the upper deck assembly separately as well as any or all of the parts individually. I'd send him an email and a PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing
We have stuck some heavy diff oil on the kinpins, heaviest option rear spring and jacked the rear ride height RIGHT up there... also Ride tyres smooth the car right out.
Which Ride tires are working for you outdoors? And ride height? I'm trying to keep track of all this for us and will add it to the starter post.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

I understand your point, but there will always be folks out there wanting to gear the fgx to the moon, and I think 3Racing should have come out with a higher internal gearset , so grinding would be out of the question.... I think a 35t/21t included in their spur gear set would have been sufficient.....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I understand your point, but there will always be folks out there wanting to gear the fgx to the moon, and I think 3Racing should have come out with a higher internal gearset , so grinding would be out of the question.... I think a 35t/21t included in their spur gear set would have been sufficient.....
Agreed. There are a couple of design flaws that will hopefully be corrected in a future version of this car: Internal gearing, post locations, weak and warped plastics and in my case, stronger king pins. We're not asking for the perfect car, but one better out of the box.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The F201 springs are rated heavier, but hard to come by (since everyone bought them all!). That is my next search and hopefully my last upgrade for a while. Other than that, your setup looks spot on!
TQ RC has them in stock. (I just ordered a set) search for "F201 Racing Spring Set"
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by klam
TQ RC has them in stock. (I just ordered a set) search for "F201 Racing Spring Set"
All over it! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
hey all

are either the McKune or Exotek upper decks available separately? I know Mantis has one, but was wondering if the others are available separately

thanks!
i regards to exotek contact them about a separate top deck, I emailed them about getting a spare and they wanted $45usd for it plus shipping
In mckune, and mantis I'm not sure!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

The RCshox version will be ready late next week.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Which Ride tires are working for you outdoors? And ride height? I'm trying to keep track of all this for us and will add it to the starter post.
Indoors , non slip painted concrete, bumpy track. Have used soft front, medium rear as the best so far. Have super soft waiting to be glued up once I get some rims.
The combo so far , has been slower on outright pace over a lap so far, but more consistent over our 6 minute races.
Our track is quite abrasive and has decent grip.

Front ride height around 6mm, rear 8-10mm. Car is quite forgiving over the curbs and doesnt bottom out over the bumps. The rake helps turn in and on power steering.
I only race once or twice a month, so development is rather slow .
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just ran the FGX for the first time yesterday stock standard and noticed (well other people did) that the front inside was lifting. Anything I can do to fix this? Running Shimizu rubber tires med/soft.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by defcone
Just ran the FGX for the first time yesterday stock standard and noticed (well other people did) that the front inside was lifting. Anything I can do to fix this? Running Shimizu rubber tires med/soft.
Stiffen the rear springs, use thicker shock oil (I'm using 1000 diff oil on carpet) and reduce rear droop to start. this should make it much better.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by defcone
Having 1 shock with oil... and one shock without prolly didn't help... lol
Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Stiffen the rear springs, use thicker shock oil (I'm using 1000 diff oil on carpet) and reduce rear droop to start. this should make it much better.
Cheers, will give that a go. Putting thicker oil in rear shock will reduce mechanical rear grip though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.