Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I didn't see an answer to this so I'll try again:

I have a question regarding the HV Maxx/Super Duty XR controllers.

When rewired to the single pack configuration, what is the maximum number of NiMH cells you can use (based on the BEC limit)? I know it has to be at least 7 cells because each will take 7-cell packs on each input when using two packs. Is single pack the limit 7 cells, or can they be run with 8 or 9? I'd be running a single high-torque Airtronics servo (94357 or 94757).

If the limits for the HV-Maxx and Super Duty XR are different, please let me know.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
The Evicerator

Hello Ta_man,

Sorry if I missed your question before!

We recommend using a maximum of 7 cells on the ESC w/o the use of an external BEC. If you want to run 8+ cells you should use an external BEC.

This is true of both the HV and Super Duty Speed Controllers.

Originally Posted by ta_man
I didn't see an answer to this so I'll try again:

I have a question regarding the HV Maxx/Super Duty XR controllers.

When rewired to the single pack configuration, what is the maximum number of NiMH cells you can use (based on the BEC limit)? I know it has to be at least 7 cells because each will take 7-cell packs on each input when using two packs. Is single pack the limit 7 cells, or can they be run with 8 or 9? I'd be running a single high-torque Airtronics servo (94357 or 94757).

If the limits for the HV-Maxx and Super Duty XR are different, please let me know.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Hello Ta_man,

Sorry if I missed your question before!

We recommend using a maximum of 7 cells on the ESC w/o the use of an external BEC. If you want to run 8+ cells you should use an external BEC.

This is true of both the HV and Super Duty Speed Controllers.
Thank you.

To use an external BEC do I remove the red wire from the plug that goes to the receiver, or simply not turn on the speed control switch (those are the two ways I have heard for using external BECs - if there is a different way, please LMK)?

Thanks, Mark
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
The Evicerator

With the HV pro, leave the plug that goes to the receiver plugged in.

Use the switch on the BEC to turn the car on and off.

When turning the car on, first turn on the BEC switch, next, turn on then off the ESC switch.

You are now ready to run.

When you are finished running, simply turn the BEC switch off.

There is protection circuitry inside the ESC that requires you to briefly switch the ESC switch on then off when using an external BEC.

Originally Posted by ta_man
Thank you.

To use an external BEC do I remove the red wire from the plug that goes to the receiver, or simply not turn on the speed control switch (those are the two ways I have heard for using external BECs - if there is a different way, please LMK)?

Thanks, Mark
Old 10-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

With the HV pro, leave the plug that goes to the receiver plugged in.

Use the switch on the BEC to turn the car on and off.

When turning the car on, first turn on the BEC switch, next, turn on then off the ESC switch.

You are now ready to run.

When you are finished running, simply turn the BEC switch off.

There is protection circuitry inside the ESC that requires you to briefly switch the ESC switch on then off when using an external BEC.
I don't have an HV Pro yet. Is the same procedure required for the original HV Maxx and Super Duty XR?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 PM
The Evicerator

No, simply leave the ESC switch off and use the BEC switch to turn the car on and off
Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
I can do Steve. Where's the faith?????
Uhhhh, ok. If you say so...if it is ok with Steve....I guess...

Old 10-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve,

Do all 6 cell GTB's ever made have lipo cutoff?

Kevin
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 AM
The Evicerator

Kevin,

No. The original GTBs did not have lipo cut off. When we came out with the SS GTB that is when we introduced the lipo cut off to all subsequent 6 cell GTBs after that.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kevin,

No. The original GTBs did not have lipo cut off. When we came out with the SS GTB that is when we introduced the lipo cut off to all subsequent 6 cell GTBs after that.
Steve, thanks.

I currently use Futaba 29MHz AM Radio. Is there a downside to using an SS GTB with AM?

Kevin
Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you have a Spread Spectrum GTB (#1711) you must be using a 2.4ghz radio.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
The Evicerator

Catalyst is right. You SHOULD NOT use an AM, FM, or PCM radio system with a SPREAD SPECTRUM GTB.

You should only use 2.4 Ghz systems with the SPREAD SPECTRUM GTB.

Both the Spread Spectrum and Standard 6 cell GTB's we have been shipping for well over a year now have built in lipo cut off circuitry.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Steve ,
I was wondering if the ORIGINAL GTB has the thermal cut off.
And also does it have lipo function , i think it has because when i received it their was the manual ( like always ) but also a small paper saying ATTENTION ! and it was telling how to activate lipo cut off or not.So i wonder if my original GTB has the lipo function.
Thanks Steve
Old 10-26-2008, 04:58 PM
The Evicerator

The original GTBs did not come with Lipo Cut off but all GTBs have had thermal shut down.

If your instructions came with material showing you how to turn on the lipo cut off, you might have a newer GTB than you think!

If you want to check for yourself, press and hold the setup button and see if you eventually get a red and yellow LED sequence. This will mean that you can change the lipo cut off either on or off.

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Hi Steve ,
I was wondering if the ORIGINAL GTB has the thermal cut off.
And also does it have lipo function , i think it has because when i received it their was the manual ( like always ) but also a small paper saying ATTENTION ! and it was telling how to activate lipo cut off or not.So i wonder if my original GTB has the lipo function.
Thanks Steve
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

The original GTBs did not come with Lipo Cut off but all GTBs have had thermal shut down.

If your instructions came with material showing you how to turn on the lipo cut off, you might have a newer GTB than you think!

If you want to check for yourself, press and hold the setup button and see if you eventually get a red and yellow LED sequence. This will mean that you can change the lipo cut off either on or off.
So , i should not worry of any high temp , if it gets too hot and it stops in the street , it means that it has shut down because of the temp ?
I know that i have a original version because it was much cheaper then the others.
So, it maybe has the lipo cut off.
Thanks Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.