Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

One question please.Are the "service replacement" items new units or are they Refurbished units? Looking at a deal for one of the GTB units and would like to know before I purchase.Thanks,Mario.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Steve what is the height of the GTB/Slyder with the fan and without?

Thanks
With fan is 1.25" ... without the fan is 10 mm less.

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Hey Steve,

Trying to get my gear all set for our first race of the '08-09 carpet season next weekend and was trying to get settings dialed in on my esc's. One of my GTB's (Spread Spectrum spec 4-cell GTB) seems to have the green LED burned out. When I connect to power and power up holding the "one touch" button down to enter the one-touch mode the red LED will come on after a couple seconds as expected. Pulling the trigger back nothing happens (green LED does not light) no matter how long I wait. If I go through the whole one-touch process waiting a couple seconds at each trigger position it seems to match the esc with my Tx. When I release the trigger to neutral the red LED comes on steady right away, then after a brief pause the amber and blue LED's light as well.

Any suggestions? The unit seems to work fine, just no green LED. Patience seems to make it possible to do "one-touch" but I won't be able to receive error codes without it and I don't think I'll be able to select drive frequency edits. Is it possible to just replace or repair the LED or do I need a whole non-warranty exchange?

Reasonably handy with tools and irons if I know what I'm looking for or can be guided.

Many thanks (as always),

Scottrik
Scottrik,

Try pulling out the input harness from your receiver and seeing if the ESC gives you a green and yellow LED code... that is the code for no signal... if the green LED really isn't present, it won't come up.

Other than that I don't really recommend trying to replace the LED yourself... it's REALLY tight between the boards in there.

Originally Posted by lotus1
One question please.Are the "service replacement" items new units or are they Refurbished units? Looking at a deal for one of the GTB units and would like to know before I purchase.Thanks,Mario.
Lotus,

Most of the time those are refurbished units, but when we don't have enough refurbs we use new units... it just depends on what we have in stock.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
With fan is 1.25" ... without the fan is 10 mm less.
I KNOW you didn't just quote related specs in two completely different measurement systems...

Metric: 31.75mm w/fan, 21.75mm w/o

Non-metric: 1.25" w/fan, 1.64" w/o

Imperial: the width of the King's pinky and ring fingers pressed together w/fan...
Old 10-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I just powered up the GTB w/o connecting it to either a receiver or a motor. The red LED lights, not the green.

Am I able to have the LED repaired or is it a complete non-warranty trade in?

Thanks Steve!

Scottrik
Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thank You.Mario.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

do u know if they are coming out with a havoc 17.5 combo?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I just powered up the GTB w/o connecting it to either a receiver or a motor. The red LED lights, not the green.

Am I able to have the LED repaired or is it a complete non-warranty trade in?

Thanks Steve!

Scottrik

Hahaha sorry about mixing metric/imperial on you there! Just pulling info out of my head and spewing it out here without filtering it sometimes!

Regarding your LED issue, I'd just recommend the non-warranty trade... Technically we don't actually do repairs because it takes too much time for each individual unit... it's more cost and time effective to simply have refurbished units ready to replace faulty units.

Originally Posted by TeckLancer
do u know if they are coming out with a havoc 17.5 combo?
Hi Teck,

Not sure... I think we want to see how well the 8.5 combo goes over and see how big the demand is for the various other motor combinations! I have been getting a few questions here regarding 10.5/13.5/17.5 havoc combos...!

Originally Posted by lotus1
Thank You.Mario.
No problem!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Steve, what is your opinion on lipo 'C' ratings and how it affects 17.5 racing? Do you think it makes a difference?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Steve, what is your opinion on lipo 'C' ratings and how it affects 17.5 racing? Do you think it makes a difference?
I also want to know the answer to this!

and for the havoc/17.5 combo...i can tell you right now after talking to fellow racers at both onroad and offroad clubs i visit...that combo is something many people are looking forward to. Especially with the JBRL just ending, lots of people that were waiting for that to end to switch over to lipo/brushless (which is like, most of the guys in any of the stock classes) are now lookin for a relatively cheap stock combo setup that'll do good on the track and I feel that many would gravitate toward a Havoc 17.5 combo. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by stitchy
Well, I know that 17.5s aren't quite as hard on batteries as the lower wind modified motors I usually run. But from a fundamental standpoint the higher the C rating, the better the performance should be.

Generally we have seen that on lower C rating packs that under a given load (say 20 A), the voltage will drop more than a pack with a higher C rating with the same load.

What this means is that in your car your motor is going to be getting higher voltage with a higher C pack under load than with the lower C rating pack.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:01 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

And presumably this would translate into things like longer runtimes, lower battery temps, longer life packs etc ??
Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 AM
The Evicerator

Correct!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

slightly off topic (with respect to this thread etc)...

but what is a safe temp for a lipo?

i dont recall seeing any of this information anywhere, certainly not with the 2 lipos that arrived this morning anyway..
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default HV/Super Duty Question

I have a question regarding the HV Maxx/Super Duty XR controllers.

When rewired to the single pack configuration, what is the maximum number of NiMH cells you can use (based on the BEC limit)? I know it has to be at least 7 cells because each will take 7-cell packs on each input when using two packs. Is single pack the limit 7 cells, or can they be run with 8 or 9? I'd be running a single high-torque Airtronics servo (94357 or 94757).

If the limits for the HV-Maxx and Super Duty XR are different, please let me know.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 AM
The Evicerator

I honestly couldn't tell you.

Danny over in the SMC thread might be a better place to ask!

Most of the time I subscribe to the idea that "cooler is better"... and as such I wouldn't feel comfortable with it being more than 150 degrees F at any point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.